PDA

View Full Version : I need URGENT advice, hurt cat....not mine..

carole
11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I am really distressed right now, the irresponsible cat owner at the back of me is not home and a passing motorist made us aware one of her cats, young one has been probably hit by a car,(not him as it ran into our property he thought it belonged to us, I don't know what to do , there are so many places it can hide, we had a look and could not find it , then as I had written a note to this woman and was about to go over and leave it on her doorstep I spotted the cat under my sons car, it has a very badly hurt hind leg, bleeding and looking so painful, I felt sick in the stomach just seeing it suffer so much, it is feral because she has not handled the cat since it was a kitten, we almost had it cornered but it outsmarted us, now I know it is out there suffering and I just feel so bad, i cannot see us getting the chance to catch it again,poor thing it looks bad, please give me any ideas or advice, if i can get it we will be taking it straight away to the vet, this woman probably won't even bother and believe me it needs medical attention soon.

Please help I feel helpless.

Jessika
11-12-2005, 06:30 PM
DEFINITELY call animal control and make them aware of the situation. If anything else if you can catch it bring that kitty to the vet PRONTO

But animal control is used to these types of situations and in your situation its the only solution i'm afraid. And since its on your property they can take it to the shelter without the owner's permission.

Alysser
11-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Call your local Humane Society or ASPCA quickly. They will be able to come with traps. Maybe the cat is hungry since it now cannot get its own food. If it is it will be caught quickly. Then they will take it and it may find a better hiome. But if you find it take it to the vet PRONTO! Good luck

Laura's Babies
11-12-2005, 06:43 PM
The best way to catch it is to throw a blanket over it. QSL taught me a covered kitty is easy to handle. If you go out looking for it again, take a blanket. It will also protect YOU as the baby is hurt and probaly scared to death and will fight like mad and rip you apart if you try to catch it with your bare hands. (That would mean a trip to the ER for YOU!) If you get it, take it to the vet.... The baby is hurt, it needs help!!

carole
11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks that is what i thought I would do ring the local SPCA, but i am not sure what they will beable to do, it has left my property , we are not sure where it went now, sadly it won't get another home as it is feral, it outlook is dim, probably it will be PTS, but that is better than it suffering, trouble is there are so many cats they may end up trapping the wrong one, I know the cat was alright yesterday as i saw it, so it could have happened last night or today. WISH me luck I will need it in this case for sure.

moosmom
11-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Carole,

Please get this cat medical attention. The ASPCA will probably have to trap it since you said it is feral. Let them know that it is your neighbor's cat and was not avilable when the cat got hit. Give the vet the name and phone number of the neighbor. This cat needs your help. Looks to me like this irresponsible neighbor wouldn't give a rat's behind what happened to it. Even if, God FORBID, the cat has to be euthanized, at least he would not be in any more pain.

Thank you for caring.

(((((((HUGS)))))))

Donna

carole
11-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Everyone of course I am going to get it medical attention , but I cannot find the cat, I have no means to trap it either, the SPCA will only help if it is a life and death situation and that is a mobile phone number for me to ring, no problem with that, but the cat is nowwhere to be found now and that is why I am so darn distressed, as I feel totally helpless,you are right the owner won't give a dam, just found out from the boys next door that her two other cats have produced more kittens a litter each in their sheds, luckily they are really nice boys and love cats, geez I am so hopping mad, and there is nothing i can do about that, my stomach is in knots just thinking about the suffering it is going through , if only it would come back here to me, please pray for a miracle.,because I think that is the only way I am going to beable to help this poor wee thing.

Alysser
11-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Maybe it will be PTS. But maybe they can get it to be better with humans and also maybe someone will foster.

Alysser
11-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Maybe the ASPCA will take all the cats away from her and get some of the RIGHTFUL HOMES. The cats will ne nuetered and stuff. Tell them about your nieghbor. She is probably a hoarder.

carole
11-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I have already talked to the SPCA about her before, there is nothing they can do, because as long as they are fed, which they are , but not enough and look reasonable they cannot touch her with a barge pole, mind you this baby is way too thin, so maybe there might be grounds, i am damn sick of her and I am going to get them to come and inspect the cats at least, but still there is little hope for this wee baby, and my heart is heavy, knowing it is so close but so far away, don't worry if i can get the cat it will be at the vet PRONTO.,sadly it will be PTS i am sure because she wont pay for its treatment, and being feral adoption is not an option , but that would be better than it suffering as it is now.

Alysser
11-12-2005, 07:16 PM
I know it's really sad and it seems mean, but maybe you can find it yourself and make the vet put it to aleep. If there is no chance of it being adopted or having a good future then there is nothing you can do.

carole
11-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Hubby and I are trying to catch it, we went looking and found it with its mother 4 houses down, it is getting wearier and we were hoping to catch it, we almost did, I am so fustrated that we cannot get the kitty, and it is hurt bad, it needs pain relief and attention, the SPCA won't come and trap it because it is owned, but i am thinking of lying and saying it is a stray, it will get PTS i already know that, but it has not got a good life anyhow and i am sure the cost of fixing it up would be a lot and I know the owner will not to that, this is really fustrating and there just seems no help available when you need it, you ring these people up and you get made to feel you are the one in the wrong if you know what i mean.

I managed to get hold of the SPCA who told me there is no inspector on this weekend and I will need to ring back monday morning, for goodness sake, so the poor kitty just has to suffer on, they are much more experienced and may be able to catch it, we will keep trying, but for now it has disappeared again, we can only hope it gets weak enough for us to catch it, but by then it will probably be too late, however they did say if the owner is notified and does not treat the cat then they can do something, still the owner probably cannot even get the cat, this situation just gets worse by the minute, i will not sleep easy tonight knowing that poor wee thing is suffering all alone out there, brings tears to my eyes, i will keep going back to see if it re-appears, this will indeed take a miracle I can see that.

Alysser
11-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Aw! I am really sorry! Agian, Good Luck!

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-13-2005, 11:08 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this - it hurts SO MUCH to care SO MUCH - doesn't it?

Is there ANY feral organisation or welfare group who can loan you a humane trap??

Praying you find a solution. I have to agree that maybe the most humane thing is to lie about it having an owner, and least then it's suffering will end :(

carole
11-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I have had a sleepless night, not being able to get this poor wee thing out of my mind, there is no happy ending here, I cannot even find the cat now, and I had left a note for the so called owner (I use this term lightly) grrr..., and then I saw she was home, my home is two storied and looks right down at the back of her unit, so I have a birds eye view, so I took hubby for support and approached them, I noticed my note was lying on the ground, and she was there with her daughter I think and her boyfriend, they were in their car getting ready to leave, it was a total waste of time, I came back more upset and fustrated than ever, i kept my cool and was a nice as pie, but by god it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, she was trying to say they were not her cats, but I reminded her they were her cats kittens, her daughter reluctantly admitted they were her's, but what could they do they cannot get up to the cat either,(hello your fault for making them feral) to be frank they could not give a damn, and were just saying anything to get me off their backs, this moron of a boyfriend or whatever he was was saying things like they make great eel bait and I will catch it, yeah right I can imagine how to, i ignored him, and they said he is only joking, yeah and pigs fly, i am worried because my neighbour said one set of kittens had just suddenly disappeared, and to good homes I think not, I also think Duchess is pregnant as she looks fat, and none of her cats are exactly fat.

I am in an impossible situation , there is no point getting the SPCA to come out, as we have no idea where the cat is to trap it,, i went looking today no sign of it, and the SPCA cannot touch her unless the cats are in a very bad state, suprisingly they are not,so you see the bind, she can just keep breeding hundreds of feral cats and I cannot do a damn thing about it.. i can only hope that when the heat is on she moves again, but of course she will just do the same every where she goes, it is disgusting.

I am really distressed over this, I just cannot settle into a day's rountine, my nerves are on edge, I am torn between sadness, extreme anger building up and I just feel stressed out bigtime, this is an ongoing situation and my hands are tied, where is the fairness in all this, there just isn't any, and to think that poor kitty is out there suffering and I cannot help it, just breaks my heart in two , while I sit and worry myself sick, that B***h sits on her lazy backside and does nothing.

Honestly folks i just want to scream and shout and tell this B***h what I really think of her, I have just tried to help her all along and be nice, but inside my blood is boling, to top it off all her feral cats are hungry (yes she feeds them but not enough) and are always over here looking for food or shelter and fighting with my cats causing them distress and me heaps of vet bills, there is no end to it all, and I knew it was only a matter of time before something tragic like this happened and I knew she would not give a toss.

moosmom
11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh Carole,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. That 6itch of a neighbor could have easily prevented this from happening if she had just been a responsible pet owner. I'd have a difficult time concentrating too not knowing what happened to the cat. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. All I can do is give you hugs and say a prayer that the cat is either okay, or finally succumed to her injuries and is no longer in pain.

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) to you for being such a caring person

xoxoxoxoxoxo

carole
11-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks Donna your kind words do indeed help, part of me just wishes the guy had never told me about the cat, then I would not have even known, but then the other part of me knows I was mean't to know so I could at least try and help, but I have not been of much use or help to that poor suffering kitty, i keep going down the road to see if I can spot it, but no luck,it is probably hiding under a verandah or shed, I just hope to that its suffering will either end quickly or it will heal, the injury looked bad, but it might be able to survive it, those feral kitties are hardy creatures and overcome amazing things, not that any kitty should have to endure any of it.

You know Donna the SPCA are a waste of space just about, they have one inspector for the whole of my city, we have a population of over 120,000 people, of course it is hardly their fault as they have no government funding, I voted for this government, and I think it is time I sent a message to them telling them what I think of it and past governments who will not help fund our SPCA's.

I may have to ring animal control and tell them there are feral cats and they will be trapped, but I am not sure if that is the best thing or not,they are going to their death if I do that, and also what if the wrong cats get trapped, even my own, i cannot keep them inside forever, Geez Donna I just hate all this, it wears me ragged with worry, they don't call me worrywart for nothing ya know lol. ;)

PS i think she has gone away for a few days, most of the cats are not hanging around much, even the neighbour beside her had noticed it, Duchess the pregnant one was hanging around and going for the rubbish bags,(rubbish collection day today) poor thing here she is pregnant and not even getting enough food for herself, disgusting.,Trouble is I cannot be sure if she has come back and fed them a morsel, as she was back last night briefly when we went over to see her.

carole
11-13-2005, 07:35 PM
I have an update, I told one of the other tennants about the cat yesterday and told her is she saw it to come and see me, she knocked on the door this afternoon saying it was at the units, so we got hold of the SPCA, the one and only inspector, she came out and unfortunately she did not get the kitty it went under my neighbours house, but now we have a trap set, I will keep checking to see if it gets trapped, if not by 4.30 i will take the trap away and it will be reset tomorrow, but keep all your fingers and paws and toes crossed kitty comes out today, as tomorrow we won't know where it is, of course they have to notify the owner, which is a pity, she has gone away , so i am not sure if she will be back tonite, still at least one of the other kitties got a feed from the leftovers satchet for trapping, oh i so hope we can get this poor wee kitty, i know its life will be over, and that hurts me more than anything, but it cannot suffer like this either, besides it had a pretty lousy life anyway. please prayers for a good result, thank you my friends.

Soapets
11-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Prayers from Nebraska..................... :( Turn things over to God. He will take care of things............

Deb

Karen
11-13-2005, 09:04 PM
What an ordeal, we hope the kitty finds its way to the trap and you can end its suffering. I would then be tempted to find a spay/neuter flyer and make copies of it and leave a new one at her house every day.

Flatcoatluver
11-13-2005, 09:11 PM
oh my fingers are crossed keep us updated please!!

carole
11-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the ongoing support folks, right now I feel like using a profanity but i won't , we caught a cat alright, but the wrong one, the sister or brother of the injured cat, my I was tempted to hand that one in too, but i need the trap for the injured kitty, tomorrow is going to be harder as we will have no idea where it is,this sure is going to take some miracle if we are to get it, it is determined not to be caught, I thought it would have been hungry enough to go for the trap, I guess I was wrong, we did not even know the other cat was under there, but I figured this was a possibility, each day that goes on is another day of suffering, I am desperate to capture kitty, my mind won't rest until I can.

Keep those prayers a coming folks, kitty needs all the help it can get, I know the sad truth is it is the end of its life when I catch it and that tears me up inside, but I know also it is the only thing we can do,but gosh it is a hard thing to think about, even knowing its for the best in the long run.

I am wondering what the so called owner is going to do when she sees the note left by the SPCA, I hope i don't end up in a confrontation with her, because I don't feel strong enough to handle that right at the moment, still the SPCA have asked if I will make a statement if required I have said I will, she will probably get off with a warning anyhow, she can always use the excuse I can't capture the cat, still she made no attempts to contact the SPCA I was the one to do that, so that does not look good on her part, I must tell you also when the SPCA arrived, low and behold the land agent for the landlord of the units happened to be there by chance, so she heard it all, my understanding is she is allowed one cat no more, so they now know she is breeding cats like fleas, i made sure she heard that, and they are not properly looked after, apparently get this, the neighbour had complained there were mice under the unit, strange with all those kitties, now wasn't that a stroke of good luck, i never knew who the land agents were, now I do and it might be one way of getting her out of my neighbourhood, sadly that won't help the kitties she has.

Will keep you updated, I am going to set the trap again tomorrow. wish me all the luck in the world to get the right kitty this time, thanks.

moosmom
11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Carole,

What an ordeal you're going through. I know it's difficult, but you need to think that trapping the kitty is a good thing, even though the end result may very well be euthanasia. At least the kitty won't be in pain anymore and won't die alone out in the cold elements.

I hope the landlord nails the 6itch for breeding. Backyard breeders hold very low esteem with me. They're down there with other bottom feeders such as lawyers and car salesmen.

I give you KUDOS for caring. Some people would've just thrown their hands up in the air and said, "Oh well!!"

Love and hugs,

Donna

carole
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
The trap is set again, no takers, we don't even know where the kitty is now, it may still be under the house, probably dying a slow painful death, which makes me feel sick to the stomach, I will keep trying to get this kitty if its the last thing I ever do.

carole
11-14-2005, 11:25 PM
UPDATE, well we kept the trap there all day long, luckily i could see all the other cats were not under the house, we finally gave up late afternoon, and went and did the paper run, low and behold we check out her place and there is the kitty, hobbling around, the little devil is so cunning, it must have been under the house all day and would not even take the bait, anyhow I have had enough, I rang Jenny the SPCA lady and told her she has done nothing for this poor wee thing, and i want her prosecuted if you can, she actually stopped by my home, and told me she had issued another notice telling her if it did not get vet treatment by 5pm tomorrow she will be taking her to court, a small victory in itself, but still that does not help the kitty, I just fear this will blow up in my face and the kitties will be the ones to suffer, I am scared that moron boyfriend of her daughter's decides to kill it, legally they can if it is done humanely, but i doubt that would happen.

The guy's next door told me when they took her cats new kittens over to her they were like two days old and he said they have never been seen since, she just took them , never said anything and shut the door, now I am thinking that moron did take them for eel bait, the thought makes me shudder, I cannot believe anyone could be so cruel, but just look at her leaving this poor kitty to suffer, I am so darn fustrated, I can see the kitty , get so close and then boof its off, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let there be a decent end to this awful story and soon, because it is wearing me out both physically and emotionally.

P.S the kitty is sitting on her doorstep right now, and I only wish I could get it, but as soon as we get near it is off again.

carole
11-15-2005, 02:28 AM
UPDATE-I GOT THE KITTY, I cannot believe it we got the kitty, I had told you that I had seen it on her doorstep, but when I took another look it was its brother or sister, it was on the neighbours steps (One of the ladies there had already helped me by telling me the cat was back the day before) the other room-mate walked right past it, and I thought geez if she can do that maybe just maybe she can pick it up, so here I am yelling out of my two storied window asking her can she do that, she said yes, so hubby goes off in a mad rush to get a cage from my girlfriend down the road, and we go over there, piece of cake she puts some gloves on , picks it up and we have kitty, just like that after all those hard three days trying to trap kitty.

I bawled my eyes out when I saw the state of kitty, before I had only seen it from a distance, the smell was horrendous, pus and blood on the back leg, it was huge, anyhow to cut a long story short kitty's foot has gone almost dead and would be amputated, it also had a horrendous hole under its front leg as well, I had noticed it limping there, but had no idea what lay beneath, it's temp was 40.5 and it was de-hydrated, for a semi-feral kitty it behaved extremely well, probably no worse than either my cats would in this distressed state, even in the cage it was pretty docile, probably getting too sick to fight back, it looked at me with the most sad eyes, it just broke my heart and still does, but I am comforted in knowing, it has pain relief, antibiotics, and was hydrated, also a warm comfortable bed and food something it has never had,tomorrow they will get the SPCA to come and see, take photos and of course the decision will probably be made to put it to sleep, that bit really still hurts tremendously, as it deserved so much more in its sad short life, It really had potential to be tamed, it had been patted by the boys next door and they were fond of it too.

My heart is heavy tonight for more reasons than one, but I am relieved that kitty won't suffer no more, I am so tired I feel i could sleep for a week, but I will be lucky to get a mere 6 hrs in knowing me. Thanks everyone, this rescue has been a combined effort, from the man who brought this to my attention to my two sets of neighbours and the SPCA, and from you all who gave me the encouragement to keep at it, I know now why I happened to be the one to be told about this, it was meant to be, for me to help rescue this wee soul.

Now I have to hope the SPCA will continue with a prosecution on that B***h, I sure will give them a statement anytime they like. well folks that is all, I am off to try and get some shut-eye.

AbbyMom
11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Good work, Carole. You have the heart of a determined rescuer. I'm so sorry he's so ill.

Perhaps a prosecution by the SPCA will help prevent future tragedies.

Get a good night's sleep. You deserve it.

(May your neighbor be plagued with nightmares.)

carole
11-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks, I just hope she rots in hell to be perfectly honest, we still have all the other cats to deal with, this could just keep happening, and new kittens about to be born, I am hoping they can talk her into surrending them, the neighbours on both sides are distressed also by it all and want something done too, so she is not very popular around here.

Everytime I think about kitty it just makes me bawl my eyes out, woke up at 2am thinking about it and away I went, I know that today is probably its last day alive, i only wish someone at the vets would take it, but I know that possibility is zero also because it is semi-feral if it were tame it might have happened, I will never forget this to the day I die, I have felt traumatised by it all to be frank, and its injuries and wee face will haunt me forever, but i know I have done the only humane thing possible and I feel comfort in knowing that.

Laura's Babies
11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
GOD Carole, I KNOW you have been through the wringer with this. God put YOU in charge of helping this wee one and you HAVE done the best anyone could do for the poor baby! I commend you for that!

moosmom
11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Carole,

Get a good night's sleep. Whatever the outcome, at least you got the cat away from the yutz of a neighbor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do prosecute her for animal cruelty and neglect.

Sweet dreams. ;)

carole
11-15-2005, 05:55 PM
yep there is a great deal of comfort for me knowing that it is no longer suffering, it has good vet care until a decision is made, I rang the vet to ask how it was doing, the receptionist went to find out and then came back telling me because i was not the owner she could not tell me, I almost felt like screaming at her, but i kept my cool, as I know it is just protocol and she really does not know all the story and I could not be bothered going into it, shame though as I really wanted to know how kitty was doing, I do hope Jenny from the SPCA contacts me soon and lets me know , but she is one busy lady covering such a large area with so few resources.

I also know that yes I was mean't to know about the kitty like you said Laura's Babies because I was the one who would do something about it, and not stand by and do nothing, even if they decided not to prosecute her but instead insist she surrenders her cats that would be a good result.

I have noticed she has removed the kitty dishes from around the back, that concerns me, is she now feeding them so I cannot see her, or has she stopped feeding them making out she does not own any, my mind might be working over-time here, but people will go to any lengths. I think my new user name should be Catspy? what you reckon? lol :D

G535
11-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Catspy, you have done a great job there! :)

carole
11-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks I kinda like the name too, ok unofficially it can be my new nickname, lol :D

carole
11-15-2005, 10:02 PM
UPDATE, you are all not going to like what I have to write here, and I am absolutely ropeable, SHE GOT OFF, she denied ownership of the cat and said there are other wild cats which are not hers as well, and I and other neighbours know perfectly well they are her cats kittens, especially me, even though I took pics of them as kittens etc, my statement would not hold up in court and the judge would laugh us out of court, so folks there you have it, the SPCA has so little power , it is totally ridiculous, and the B***h has got away with it, laughing behind my back no doubt, I am so angry I cannot begin to tell you, I want to go over there and punch her lights out, but don"t worry I won't. I wish I could place a curse or evil spell on her, I hope she gets her's well and truely oneday and rots in hell.

I am so sick of the bad guy always winning in this society, and now I still have this terrible ongoing problem, i am thinking if she denies ownership the others can be now trapped, sadly though they will be PTS, and that breaks my heart knowing that, especially as they are reasonable well and healthy considering their lifestyle.

Kitty was PTS today, even though I only knew and loved you for a second sweet lil one, I hope you know that I cared and wanted your pain to end, at least you had a warm bed, nice food and no suffering on your last night, I will never forget your lil face, play hard at the RB and enjoy the life there that you so deserved, RIP lil one.

moosmom
11-17-2005, 11:23 AM
SPCA

Society for the PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS. What part of that don't they understand??? Boy does THAT piss me off!! :mad:

I'm sorry Carole, for all you've had to endure. :(

RIP sweet little kitty. You're now pain free and able to run and play at the Rainbow Bridge. Know that you were loved, even for a brief moment, and that there are people here that cared about your safety and well being. I am sorry that the SPCA failed you.

There is a place in HELL for your idiotic, irresponsible owners.

carole
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I know Donna, it would cost heaps to prosecute her and the Judge would laugh them out of court, so they have to concentrate on the cases they know they will win, they have such limited resources I can understand, I emailed the manager, her and I have spoken, she helped with the injured kitty, she wrote me a really nice email back, and to be honest she is as fustrated as I am, still it is not under there noses every day is it?

When i calm down , which will be ages away, I might get up the courage to go over and ask her which cats are hers, and then ask if we can trap the wild ones, which according to her don't belong to her, BS, BS, they are her cats kittens, Duchess her cat is ready to drop a litter any moment now.

I have been spying on her and I don't know if she is even feeding the cats anymore, of course I cannot say for sure as I cannot watch her 24/7,so when I see her leave I have been sneaking over and putting some food in their plates, none of them were around when I went over this morning, probably given up on getting any food from her, geez Donna I HATE this woman, and I am not someone who Hates easily, I wish the worst on her,honestly I could punch her right now, so I just have to keep my distance, or I will be up on an assault charge.

I want to nab the two girl kitties and pay for them to be spayed, but I am not even allowed to do that, I could get in heaps of trouble, I have hinted this to the manager of the SPCA, saying well it appears i got it wrong about her owning the other sick kitty, so obviously I really don't know which cats are hers, and if they come on my property I could trap them and have them de-sexed,wink wink , nudge nudge,but by law I won't be allowed to do that.. it seems the wicked people in life always get off scot free.

I think I am going to have to let it go a little as it is stressing me out majorly and my health is suffering, I feel like poo today, and I know its because of the no sleeping at night and my fibro playing up because of it and the stress.

It is my mother's 71st birthday today, so I had better just concentrate on that and enjoy being with her today.