PDA

View Full Version : Computer questions!

catnapper
11-12-2005, 11:24 AM
LOL... more computer question from the catnapper!
I'm setting up my new computer and doing some much needed repairs on mine.

Regarding the new computer:
How do I change the setting that puts the computer into sleep mode? The screen saver comes on after the specified amount of time, then the screen goes blank not too long after that and the only way to access the computer again is to right click the mouse - very annoying!

Regarding my old computer:
I am trying to uninstall programs I no longer use - old scanners that are long gone, old programs that came with the computer that I never once used, etc. but I keep coming up with errors like "install Script engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this set up" well... how do I get a new install engine? I also get errors like "Unable to locate uninstall log"

Hmmmmm. I guess that is all for now! ;) I was up til 2:00 AM with MacAfee customer service, and back on the phone with them at 7:30 this morning.... I am utterly exhausted, but have finally gotten my virus protection back running perfectly, and man, am I lucky nothing big hit me! :eek:

Anyone have any other little tips for streamlining my 'puter I'd appreciate it (outside the typical scan disk and defrag, etc... I plan on doing those after I remove unnecessary files and programs.)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi!! I think I can help you with the new pc!

Go to confuguration screen.
Click on Screen options.
Click on Screen protection: there you can tell your pc how long he may wait to go into sleep mode. I usually ask 10 minutes. And I select a range of pics to be shown as screen protection!
Good luck! Hope this helped you!!

Your old pc:
I am not sure what pc you had. But try this:
Go to confuguration screen again.
Choose a category: - printers
- mouse
-software
- etc....
Click on what you want, and then delete it.
If it is a program, then you must go to Software, and then go to the program you want to delete, then delete :)

Okay? GOOD LUCK

RedHedd
11-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Regarding screensaver going into sleep mode. Right click on your desktop and select "Properties." Click on the Screensaver tab and change the settings there - double check the power settings in that dialogue box too. Click OK and you're done.

Sorry I can't help too much with the uninstall problem. Once those uninstall/install files are corrupt there's almost nothing you can do to remove them. I have an old program on my PC that can't be removed. The manufacturer told me to try and reinstall and then uninstall - didn't work for me. If you have your install disks you might try that to fix the uninstall dlls. HTH.

Laura's Babies
11-12-2005, 01:31 PM
What I would do with the old one is... If you have the recovery CD that came with the computer, I would just put that in and let it wipe it clean, then reinstall everything and go in and delete whatever I didn't want. That would replace the missing files so that you could do that.

I am thinking about doing that to my house pc because it is running so slow and no matter what I do, it don't get any faster. Something is bogging it down and I can't figure out what so I can get rid of it.

catnapper
11-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh Laura, that might be a viable option if not for all the software I have on here. Some of it takes very long to install... I have one program that took me a good week to install (I'm not being dramatic here, really a WEEK). The program functions by using manufacturers libraries so I can specify funriture for work... there are about a hundred manufacturer libraries in it, each with their own special password (set by the manufacturer, not me) so if you can imagine individually installing ONE program with a hundred furniture libraries, and each of those libraries requires a certain disc (on one disc out of six, and you don't know which disc until it tells you which disc its on "Please insert disc #2 to install that library" then I go through the hassle of logging in the passcode, waiting for it to load, then up pops "please inster disc #1 to continue" and so on it goes for all the libraries! :eek: I have two programs like that!!!! :eek: :eek: Both are for work, and I don't have the time to dedicate a full week to reinstalling software.

I tried re-installing some of the programs and nope, they wouldn't give me the proper uninstall file.

Thanks Redhedd for telling me how to turn off the standby! :D

Jessika
11-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Can't you jsut hook your second harddrive up to your new computer as a slave?? And that way you would still have all your programs and wouldn't have to transfer anything over? ;)

Laura's Babies
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Oh! OK, I didn't realize you were keeping the old computer to still use and NEED it for work! I wouldn't do that either then... That would be a mess for you!

My brother is coming tomorrow and I am hoping he can help me get mine to running better. Kevlin told me something to try and I did it and it is a wee bit faster than it was. I just have some PSP8 files on here that I am not able to find and I think that is my problem... Stuff I have downloaded for that and have never found since.... :rolleyes:

G535
11-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Error messages like "unable to locate uninstall log" usually appear after someone has just deleted the programme and not used the "add remove programs" in Windows to uninstall it properly. Not much you can do about it really except wait until you have the time and do a clean install of Windows.