PDA

View Full Version : Where to find one

Lando
03-27-2002, 10:15 PM
I am looking for kitten, but I can't seem to find a place to get one near. I have looked in the newspaper adds, but they don't have any this week. I went to the nearest pet store, but they didn't have any at the time. I really need to get one this week because I have school and I will be busy after this week. If I go to an animal shelter, will they have kittens? Do you know if it will cost any or a lot of money? Do know of any other places? THanks for helping.

Logan
03-27-2002, 10:27 PM
Definitely get in touch with your shelter. This is "puppy and kitten" season.....and maybe you could even consider adopting an older cat, especially if your time is stretched. Good luck and get ready, especially if you get a kitten!!! :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-27-2002, 10:31 PM
Yes check a shelter, espically kill shelters (save a poor kitties life). And like Logan said maybe even an older cat that will have less of a chance of being adopted/or a kitten, either will be such a joy.:D :)
I think Tinky was free from the shelter that I got her from but you HAD to get your cat spayed or neutered, and of course that costs money but it is worth it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2002, 10:47 AM
I think Chuck was the first to mention this, but you can go to Pet Finder.org (http://www.petfinder.org) and do a search. As of a minute ago, they had 62,265 pets waiting to be adopted and hopefully some will be in your area.

I know you say you're looking for a kitten, but if you're busy a lot and not around too much, you might consider getting two so they can keep each other company. Or, as others suggested, maybe a kitten and an older cat to kind of watch over the kitten. :)

I've found that each shelter is different when it comes to cost. Sometimes, like Sara, the pet will be free but you have to commit to getting it fixed and taking care of it. Others have already done the shots and neutering and will charge you for that - not necessarily for the kitten itself. I think the most I've heard any shelter charging is $50.00, but they are all different.

Good luck and let us know who you find! And pictures are always appreciated too. :)

yumyum6970
03-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Check with the animal shelter. That is where we got Yum Yum. The only bad thing is though they don't really know for sure what kind of breed they are. I think it cost us $50.00 and then they send them to the vets of your choice and then you can pick them up in the next day or two.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner :)

Lando
03-28-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice! I was so close to getting a kitten today, but right before we came, someone else took the last kitten. I already have an older cat, Midnight who I think needs a champion. I also have a dog who's best friend was our old cat Tigger, but he ran away. She needs a champion too. I am going to a shelter. I hope to find the perfect kitten tomorrow for me.

AmberLee
03-28-2002, 11:04 PM
Much luck to you in your quest for a kitten.

wayne0214
03-29-2002, 06:40 AM
Do you believe that a kitten who instantly shows affection for you while being in a shelter will make a good companion? I have heard of this, mostly on this forum, but have not experienced it myself.

I have not been in an animal shelter for many years, mostly because living in a rural part of the state, it is a long distance to the nearest one. However, I'm not sure I could take seeing all those kitties in there, and will probably want to take all of them home with me.:)

.........wayne

Pam
03-29-2002, 06:43 AM
Lando good luck on your search for a kitten. Makes me just a little envious!! :D I think you are wise to be looking for a kitten since you already have an older cat. We brought Andy into our home at about 8 weeks of age to live with Trevor who was then three years old. Trevor didn't feel the least bit threatened (how could he? :D ) and they have become great buddies. Please, please keep us up-to-date on your search. And of course when you find that sweet little bundle of fur we will need PICTURES!!!! :)

wayne0214
03-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Lando, where in Calif. do you live? You can PM me with an answer if you so desire. I have a few kittens to give away in about a month. Thought you would be interested.

........wayne

gini
03-29-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by wayne0214
Lando, where in Calif. do you live? You can PM me with an answer if you so desire. I have a few kittens to give away in about a month. Thought you would be interested.

........wayne

Hmmm, let me echo those thoughts, please. I live in Los Angeles, and four orange tabby's were born on March 26th. If you can wait just a few more weeks, I would love to place these kittens in good homes!