PDA

View Full Version : Good scanners?

catnapper
11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Don't laugh... on top of everything else, my scanner broke. So while I'm returning the computer, I'm going scanner shopping. The one I WANT and actually do need for my artwork is $250 ~ yikes! :eek: (its the Epson Perfection 4-thousand-something)

Is there anything out there that anyone has that is a good scanner for perhaps around $150?

How about those all-in-one machines that are scanners/printers? I need a second printer for the new computer anyway, so I could just buy an all-in-one. Are they any good? Or just so-so?

I need a scanner that will pick up subtle colors and subtle texture. I don't neessarily care about resolution, as long as it accurately picks up subtleties in an image. I had bought one where it had a very high resolution, but it had a hard time picking up whites and pastels in my renderings. It did me no good.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I have to ask - do you use anything sharp when doing your artwork? If so, pleeeeeease be careful ;)

catnapper
11-11-2005, 10:59 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL... does an incredibly sharp pencil point count?

Pawsitive Thinking
11-11-2005, 11:00 AM
oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Off home now - hope to hear from you next week!

Karen
11-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Go to http://www.pricewatch.com/ - then click on Scanners, then click on Epson, and you'll see several of the Perfection series that are around $100.

Craftlady
11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a HP psc1210V (copier, scanner, printer). It was around $100 this was year ago. It does a great job with photo printing, there are way better units out there cost $$$$ but for our general purposes it was great.

Randi
11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
I have an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo, I think it's great - no problems at all. :)

areias
11-11-2005, 03:53 PM
What ever you do, always get a flatbed. Right now I have a Lexmark x125 all-in-one, and the scanner part actually pulls whatever you want scanned through the machine, but it has to be a certain size...it won't scan photos and such, unless you tape it to paper.

I'll have to see which one my parents have, there's is nice and they wouldn't have spent too much on it. I found it... its $161 here, the HP 2355.
Click (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?landing=printers&category=all_in_ones&catLevel=3&storeName=storefronts&subcat1=family&product_code=Q5789A%23ABA)

Laura's Babies
11-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a OLD HP Officejet Pro 1150C that is the all in one, made to work with Windows 95 and this has outlasted computer after computer. Unfortunaly, Windows XP is the last windows it is going to work with.

I also have HP el-cheap-o printers that print out better pictures than Rie's expensive one with all the bells and whistles, so she comes here to print out what pictures she wants on my cheap one. Just information to keep you informed....