PDA

View Full Version : A scary electronic fence incident

lv4dogs
11-11-2005, 08:16 AM
This morning on my way to work there was a yellow lab in the middle of the road on a busy road. Someone before me almost hit the dog, I slowed way down but the dog dashed right back into the road, I laid on the horn & still almost hit him. He kept running back & forth in the road. So I pulled over to try to help him. As I did so he was almost hit 2 more times. I finally got a hold of the happy but nervous dog. Must be the people in the house heard me lay on the horn as they came out of the house. Come to find out it was their dog. They have an electronic fence, the dog bolted out & was too afraid to come back into his yard in fear he'd get shocked again. Which explains why he was frantically running back & forth in the road in front of his home.

I hate those electronic fences, for this & many other reasons. This could of been a tragedy.

JenBKR
11-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Oh how horrible! I don't trust those things, although my sister-in-law swears by hers. I prefer our regular fence, then I don't have to worry.

k9krazee
11-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Poor thing :( Good thing you were there to help!

poofy
11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Poor Dog , I hope they do something else as they can see what this can lead to..http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/05.gif

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/100_2765.jpg

.sarah
11-11-2005, 10:28 AM
I always wondered if that would happen to a dog. I'm glad he got back home but they do need to figure something out to keep him contained.

bark_some
11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh boy do I hate electronic fences. I always have. The person that lived in this house before me had an electric fence, and he had 5 Irish Setters, they are shown by him. And one time he had a collar that reacts to the fence on one of the Setter's pups! And of course, not knowing better, the pup passed the fence, and he stopped right in the middle of the zone, and kept getting shocked, and I just couldnt stand it I ran over and got him out of there. He could've died if he would've stayed there. The poor puppy:( I still flinch when I think of it. I just HATE electronic fences for that reason, this reason, and many more.

lute
11-11-2005, 12:55 PM
poor dog! :( i hope his owners learned from this and decide to get rid of the electric fence.

Toby's my baby
11-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Poor dog!

My neighbors who live about 1/2 mile away, (I live out in the country) supposedly had on of those, and his dogs would always get out, but never go back into the yard, so they came to my house. They were really fun to have around, 3 labbies, 2 pups nad the mom, and they would come over like every other day, and we would just call up the neighbors nad tell them and their kids would drive over and pick them up. ANYWAYS, finally after a while, we call the police and told them that these dogs kept coming over to our house, and all the oficer said was, I have more problems than this, bring them bakc to the guys house YOURSELF, and tie them up :o Finally the guy just brought them to the HS and they got new homes (together as a family) but they were really sweet dogs.

DogLover9501
11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Poor dog :( I, too, hate electronic fences!

Anita Cholaine
11-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Poor dog :(... I don't understand why they have electric fences, knowing that they can be so dangerous...

Jessika
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I can see where they'd be more in handy like.. NOT NEXT TO A MAJOR ROAD. Waht were they THINKING? It's this reason (and the high price) why I wouldn't get one! Even if Charlie gets himself tied up around EVERYTHING in his tie out, I can rest assured he is within my eyesight at all times and nowhere near the street!

elizabethann
11-11-2005, 03:30 PM
That's what happened to my Sister's Labs. They learned to go through it but would never come back because of the shock. They could take the shock going out because it meant freedom to roam, but coming back in they said "no way".

My Sister & her husband finally took the invisible fencing down.

Kristenthemusher
11-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Grrrrr...I HATE electric fences. They're no substitute for a good, solid fence. :mad: Especially by a road!

lizbud
11-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm glad you were there and stopped to help the dog. I can imagine he
was pretty stressed by the whole experience. :( I dislike electronic fences.
They also don't stop other dogs from entering your property.

areias
11-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I don't like e-fences either. Where I used to live, I would walk my dogs up this one street that had two black labs on an e-fence. The only problem was that #1, one of the labs was fairly aggressive, and #2 the lady constantly forgot to turn on the fence. They had several incidents where people couldn't get to their cars, houses, etc because the dog would be standing there snarling and barking at them. I'm not sure what happened to the dogs after we left.

Alysser
11-11-2005, 04:55 PM
I have never liked electric fences. My friend suggests it for Sassy all the time. I am like NO WAY! I HAV EHAD THIS DOG FOR SEVEN YEARS AND SHE'S NOT DYING FOR NO REASON. A friend of mine up in Florida had a Husky/Lab mix who kept going through the Electric fence. She lived right by a highway. So one day he got out and it was all over. He got hit by three cars and died right in the middle of the highway. She was really upset but she has had many dogs and should have known better. He was the greatest sweetest dog ever! :(

chocolatepuppy
11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I prefer my 'real' fence. ;) Good for you for helping the dog. :)

Ginger's Mom
11-11-2005, 09:22 PM
It was so good that you were able to help that poor baby, who knows what would have happened to him. :( I too dislike invisible fencing. They do nothing to protect your dog from other dangers in the area that can come into their space, and will not contain a determined dog.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm so glad you were able to rescue that dog! How scary. I agree that electronic fences are terrible- not only do they have major downfalls, like the dog being able to get out if they really want, but they are cruel! Who wants to shock their dog to keep them contained rather than putting up an old fashioned fence? It blows my mind that someone willing is hurt their dogs like that.

wolfie
11-12-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't understand why they have electric fences, knowing that they can be so dangerous...

Waht were they THINKING?

She was really upset but she has had many dogs and should have known better.

It blows my mind that someone willing is hurt their dogs like that.

*cough* We had an invisible fence. It came with a video on training your dog. If trained correctly, your dog is only shocked once, in it's whole life. And it is no worse than a shock you get from static on a carpet. After we got it and trained Daphne, she never left the yard in 4 years. We never left her out when we weren't around.

But, then we moved, and, of course, couldn't take the fence with us. They're expensive, so we didn't get one at first. Then Daphne left they yard and was hit by a car one night. And my parents decided to get an invisible fence for this house. I trained Daphne in the same way, but she ignored the shock, and went through several times. So now we use a leash or tie-out.

But, it did work well at our old house. I'm sure that if we didn't move, Daphne would still be staying in the yard. The invisible fence is a training method.

Another training method is to teach your dog a strong recall, so that when you're out with your dog you can call him back if he starts to leave the yard. I'm know at least a few people (probably many) on this board use a recall to keep their dog in their, or with them on walks. However, that's not foolproof either. A dog will not always listen to you. Are they putting their dog in danger? Maybe. But they feel safe with their dog's training.

At our old house, I felt safe with Daphne's training. That's what we were thinking.

tz1
11-17-2005, 11:44 PM
electric fences are pretty useless in my opinion. you get a big strong dog, it's not going to care about some little shock. My dog Zero who is still just a puppy would probably just run through it. Which is why we have a huge fence around our yard so he can run and play happily and safe! :D

lv4dogs
11-18-2005, 09:50 AM
electric fences are pretty useless in my opinion. you get a big strong dog, it's not going to care about some little shock. My dog Zero who is still just a puppy would probably just run through it. Which is why we have a huge fence around our yard so he can run and play happily and safe! :D

It's not always the bog strong dogs though. My works new landlord & neighbor (as of early this week) has a tiny shitzu dog and that thing just runs right through their fence all the time! I've rescued the dog from the road twice so far! :mad: And this is a VERY busy road.