PDA

View Full Version : Persianmom's Taz needs lots of prayers!

chrangharris
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Persianmom's Taz is very sick right now. We came home from a weekend away to find Taz laying on the floor motionless and green gunk coming out of her eye. The lady who watched her said she was just fine the night before. Persianmom rushed her to the ER vet who gave her ointment for the eye and antibiotics. Instead of getting better, Taz is worse. She now has diarrhea and refuses to eat. She is very lethargic and can barely move. She went back to the vet and they are at a loss- all the tests come back normal. She stayed at the vet for two days and the vet couldn't get her to eat either and she still has diarrhea. Taz came back home tonight and Persianmom is trying to get her to eat. If she can't get her to eat, she is going to have to put Taz down!! :( :( :( Please send some prayers up for Taz- she needs it!

sirrahved
11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Poor Taz... get better soon!

jenluckenbach
11-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Prayers for Taz.

Let's start with some ideas. The antibiotic could cause the diarrhea. I would stop the antibiotic and take her to her regular vet.

FORCE feed her if you have too. Once she gets something in her stomach she can start to feel better. It is like a snowball effect. The cat doesn't eat because it doesn't feel well, and then it feels worse because it didn't eat. Often you need to force feed to get them back in the habit of eating (I know it sounds weird, but it's true). If nothing else, get some Karo syruo and rub it on the gums. Get's the blood sugar level up.

I am not sure what "all the tests" included, but Taz should at least visit with her own vet, not just the ER vet that may have never seen her before.

More prayers.

Soapets
11-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Prayers from Nebraska.......... Can they give her IV fluids and/or nutrition of some kind? Did she get into a poisonous plant or something? I sure hope things turn around and she starts eating and feeling better!

Deb

kimlovescats
11-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh No..... please get better, Taz!

Hugs to Carol,
Kim :(

rg_girlca
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Oh gosh, I hope and pray that Carol is able to get Taz to start eating and can get some fluids into her.

Prayers on the way and (((((HUGS)))))

chocolatepuppy
11-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Prayers headed out to Taz.

jenluckenbach
11-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Any news on Taz?

moosmom
11-11-2005, 06:08 AM
Oh no!!

I think what JenL said is absolutely right. Antibiotics CAN cause diarrhea. I would definitely take Taz to her OWN vet where they are familiar with Taz. Force feeding her, even if it's putting canned kitten food (kitten food has more nutrients) on her finger and sticking it in Taz's mouth will help her taste it. It also might be that Taz can't smell the food. Cats won't eat what they can't smell.

HUGS and prayers coming from CT. Please, keep us posted!! :(:(

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Oh no, I hope it is nothing serious :( . I agree with Jen, if Taz doesn't eat by herself, some forced feedings might help her a lot. She won't like it, but it is good for her!
Get better soon,Taz !!

rosethecopycat
11-11-2005, 06:25 AM
I hope that Taz's mom knows that force feeding can really turn them around. I force fed Malfi for 11 days in July, he wouldn not have made it without it, and he only had a cold.

Can she get cyproheptdine (for appetite) and A/D food (Rx) mixed with plain pedialyte or nutrical gives the most bang for the buck in force feeding.

Hopefully the vet will know what kind of infection is in the eye, and can help that. What Taz needs is a little supportive care until then.

catmandu
11-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I would try something that has a strong odor,Tuna Fish or Salmon,or a little Tuna Helper.
Prayers are coming for Poor Taz,and Pet Angels are on thier way to comfort her.

catnapper
11-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Poor Taz! Many prayers coming her way. I know how frightening thsi must be for you. {{{hugs}}} for you too Carol.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Come on Taz - you can do it! Start eating sweetheart

smokey the elder
11-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Chicken baby food (nothing else in it but chicken) works wonders. You can put it into a syringe and squeeze it into their mouth.

Good luck and prayers for Taz!

Felix
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Thoughts and Prayers for Taz from Canada

chrangharris
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you for all the prayers and advice. She is now being treated by her regular vet- that was where she went the second time in. Carol is trying to force feed her and it isn't working- I'll tell her about some of your suggestions. Taz actually bit Carol today while she was trying to force feed her- something Taz has NEVER done! She is also having a hard time walking- her back legs are very, very weak and she cries it in pain when Carol picks her up.
Please keep the prayers coming!

shais_mom
11-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear this.
So scary.
Taz is so young - she is the newest addition isn't she?
Prayers and healing vibes sent to sweet Taz.

kimlovescats
11-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Any news on Taz today?

Soapets
11-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Continued prayers from Nebraska........... PLEASE keep us posted!

Deb

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Taz's way.

rosethecopycat
11-12-2005, 07:45 AM
If Taz is not cooperating while being fed, then she needs to be put in a 'cat sack' or at the very least wrapped in a towel, like a burrito.

Have they found out the cause of the illness?

chrangharris
11-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Just got off the phone with my mom. Taz is eating a very, very little amount but it is force fed. She does seem to be having problems swallowing the food. She is also weaker on one side then the other. She seems to be in a lot of pain. Mom is giving her through the weekend to see what happens- on Monday she will have to make a decision. She is thinking that Taz had a stroke but we are not sure on that. Mom is working with her but things are not looking good.

shais-mom- Wicket is the newest addition to the household. Taz has been in the family for years and is the most playful one of the bunch- hence her name!

shais_mom
11-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Just got off the phone with my mom. Taz is eating a very, very little amount but it is force fed. She does seem to be having problems swallowing the food. She is also weaker on one side then the other. She seems to be in a lot of pain. Mom is giving her through the weekend to see what happens- on Monday she will have to make a decision. She is thinking that Taz had a stroke but we are not sure on that. Mom is working with her but things are not looking good.

shais-mom- Wicket is the newest addition to the household. Taz has been in the family for years and is the most playful one of the bunch- hence her name!
OH I'm sorry for the confusion.
Poor you and your mom and Taz - Still keeping her in my prayers but I have to agree that it does sound like a stroke.

kimlovescats
11-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Chris .... thanks for the update. Gosh, it does sound very much like Taz has suffered a stroke. I sure hope she shows some improvement over the weekend. Tell your Mom that she is in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim

rg_girlca
11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Taz is not doing too well.

Big time prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

moosmom
11-12-2005, 08:26 PM
I think Kimlovescats has a point. The symptoms sounds like a stroke. Especially with the paralysis and the inability to swallow. Tell your Mom to be careful with the bite she received. Make sure she keeps an eye on it in case it ges infected.

Still saying prayers for poor Taz.

jazzcat
11-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers on the way for Taz and your mother.

moosmom
11-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Any word on Taz???

jenluckenbach
11-13-2005, 06:03 PM
UPDATE (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=92813)

chrangharris
11-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey guys! Unfortunately I was gone all day today and didn't get a chance to talk to my mom- hopefully I will be able to in the morning and then I can update!! Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers!