PDA

View Full Version : Is Groucho being nawtee?

momcat
11-10-2005, 06:15 PM
For the past few weeks now, Groucho will not drink from his water dish. He'll sit and watch as we empty the dish, clean it, and fill it with fresh water but when we put it down he refuses to drink from it. He runs back to the sink and licks the water off the faucet. When he does this, he's immediately taken to his water dish but runs straight back to the sink. Granted he is a bit spoiled. We change his water frequently to keep it reasonably fresh and keep taking him from the faucet to his dish hoping he'll get the idea. Any thoughts on why he's doing this and how we can break him of it? No detergent is used on his dish, only clear tap water and a paper towel. :confused:

catmandu
11-10-2005, 06:30 PM
If he is,then the Found Cats are too.
With three Water Dispensers,Two from Our Friend Shady,filled daily the Found Cats all insist on using the Porcelain Water Bowl,in the Bathroom.
Maybe its cold and fresher than the Dispenser.
Maybe Groucho loves the fact that the Water is running?

jenluckenbach
11-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Maybe he doesn't like the size or type of dish?

Soapets
11-10-2005, 07:25 PM
He's training you to turn the water faucet on to a drip so he can have a constant supply of fresh water! :D

Angel trained us that way, too, and she won't drink from her bowl to this day! She'll lick the drops off of the outside of cups that we have cold drinks in. She'll lick my son's hair when he gets out of the shower. She'll lick the water droplets from our legs and feet when we get out of the shower. She'll lick water from bowls IN THE SINK! She'll move the dog's water pan and drink from it after she moves it across the room, away from their food bowls. But she WON'T drink from her own water bowl!

I guess I never really tried to "train" her to drink from her OWN water bowl. What a novel idea! :D

Deb

Laura's Babies
11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I have had several that would only drink from the faucet and Chester does it now. I have no problem with them drinking from the faucet myself but I know some people don't like them up on the cabinets. I have no clue as to what to tell you to do to stop it other than try new water dishes.... maybe one of those fresh flow water fountains?

catnapper
11-10-2005, 09:07 PM
My cat as a child did that. I tried to train my guys, but they won't do it. I find it funny that my grandmom who was all about cleanliness encouraged a cat to sit on the counter for food and water :D

Try different bowls like Jen suggested.