PDA

View Full Version : Looking you in the eye? Pics of Oz, Gull and Murph too

ParNone
11-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi ya'll!

Do your dogs stare into your eyes? Everything I've read about dogs says that staring directly into your eyes is a dominant gesture, but I have my doubts about that. Oz and I stare at each other all the time and he's really not a dominant dog at all and definitely not with me. It's more like we're communicating with each other. When I'm talking to him, he's trying to figure out more, by reading the expression in my eyes or at least that's the feeling I get. He's a very communicative dog.

Maddie was like this too and she was always trying to tell me things. She was a dominant dog with other dogs, but not with me. So I don't think it was a dominant gesture towards me. She and Oz both have that quality, where they seem to read my mind. Knowing my needs and have a high level of intelligence. So I wonder if in some dogs it can me more related to that.

Gull, who does have somewhat of a dominant side, but again not with me, if I look him in the eyes, he automatically looks away. Murph is more submissive in nature and he won't look me in the eyes. I wouldn't say either Murph or Gull aren't intelligent. And they both are very devoted and watchful of me, but not attuned to my feelings like Oz and Maddie. Just wonder sometimes if it's related to the eye thing and was curious about other's dogs.

Thought I'd toss in a few pics too. Haven't posted any in quite a while

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/Oz1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/Gull1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/MurphMan2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/MurphMan1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/OzGull1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/OzGull2.jpg

Par...

Glacier
11-10-2005, 04:33 PM
It is most often a dominant act, particularly when done to another dog. However, that can vary by dog and by breed. A direct stare is very common husky behavior and not neccessarily dominance related. It's just a husky trait.

Great pics! Lovely puppers.

Toby's my baby
11-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Maggie stares into your eyes a lot, but I dont think it has anything to do with dominence, because she knows who is the dominent one. Great pictures! Your dogs are beautiful!

lvpets2002
11-10-2005, 04:54 PM
:eek: OMG what sweet cutie pies these two are.. Yup I would say we are having eye contact.. Nice pics

poofy
11-10-2005, 05:33 PM
I really like the pictures.SammyJ will look me straight in the eye, and we have a stare down till he turns his head, this is usually when hes upset with me. :D

Jadapit
11-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Jada stares into my eyes a lot. Its with love. ;) Your dogs are so beautiful. I love it when you post pictures of them. :D

Ginger's Mom
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Oh Gull an Ozzy you guys are absolutely dreamy. And Murph, sweetie, nothing melts my heart like a Cairn smile. :)
Umm, Les, I am not sure about your theory. My first dog was without a doubt the smartest dog ever born (yes I am biased and exaggerating :D), but I don't remember her ever doing the staring thing with me. Maybe she didn't want to waste her time communicating with a less intelligent life form (heehee). But she definitely knew my moods, wants, needs and behaved accordingly. Ginger on the other hand, definitely does the stare when she wants to convey something to me, and I would only label her as being of average intelligence (at best). And she is a very submissive dog, so it isn't a dominance thing.

Love4BCs
11-10-2005, 06:47 PM
OMG.. I love your Collies. They're are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. :)

Mickey looks me in the eye a lot. I blink. I just shrug off all that crap about dominance and stuff. Whatever. I think dogs are smart enough to just learn their place with bothering with eyeing crap. :rolleyes: lol

clarebear
11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Awww they are so cute and handsome!. The one who has soap on his head doesnt seem to mind it at all!.

I love a nice clean dog LOL

Kirbys Mom
11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
oh i love smooth collies, i have a rough blue merle. :D

K9soul
11-10-2005, 07:54 PM
It's such a treat to see your trio Par. Mine gaze at me with love sometimes too, it's not a dominant stare-down, I'm sure I'd be able to tell the difference. It's kind of a wistful, curious or loving gaze. Oz's eyes are so gorgeous. Give all three of those sweeties some loving from me :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Winston and Tango stare at me often but it's not at all a dominance thing, when Keeva stares though she does it out of dominance so I think it varies between different dogs.

I love the pics! Oz and Gull are gorgeous as always and Murph is such an adorable little guy :)

.sarah
11-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Wow they have such pretty eyes! Gorgeous dogs!

Nova stares at me a lot, too, and she's the most submissive dog I've ever known.

anna_66
11-10-2005, 09:59 PM
A direct stare is very common husky behavior and not neccessarily dominance related. It's just a husky trait.

You couldn't be more right. Roxey stares all the time (expecially if you have food). I guess that's the way I trained her too. If she looks me in the eye (paid attention to me), she gets her goodie.
Huney will look away and Bon, he's kinda gets weireded out if you stare at him :rolleyes:

Those are some gorgeous pictures of your three Par, I just love the look on each and everyone of their faces:D

wolf_Q
11-10-2005, 10:08 PM
First of all, your dogs are so gorgeous! I'm happy to see pics of them again. :D Is Gull bigger than Oz now?

Nebo will look me right in the eye too and I don't think it's a dominance thing either with me, it is with other dogs though. He just likes to stare...I think it may be more intimidating sometimes with the blue eyes though, his eyes scare people! :o One of my co-workers got all freaked out the other day because Nebo was staring right at her and smiling lol.

Sydney likes to get right up in your face, smell your breath, and stare at you. She prefers to have eye contact nose to nose. ;) She doesn't look away either, and it's not dominance she's just wants attention when she does that.

Reggie's older and he's kind of in his own little world most of the time...he won't sit still long enough to look him in the eyes.

clarebear
11-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi ya'll!

Do your dogs stare into your eyes? Everything I've read about dogs says that staring directly into your eyes is a dominant gesture, but I have my doubts about that. Oz and I stare at each other all the time and he's really not a dominant dog at all and definitely not with me. It's more like we're communicating with each other. When I'm talking to him, he's trying to figure out more, by reading the expression in my eyes or at least that's the feeling I get. He's a very communicative dog.

Maddie was like this too and she was always trying to tell me things. She was a dominant dog with other dogs, but not with me. So I don't think it was a dominant gesture towards me. She and Oz both have that quality, where they seem to read my mind. Knowing my needs and have a high level of intelligence. So I wonder if in some dogs it can me more related to that.

Gull, who does have somewhat of a dominant side, but again not with me, if I look him in the eyes, he automatically looks away. Murph is more submissive in nature and he won't look me in the eyes. I wouldn't say either Murph or Gull aren't intelligent. And they both are very devoted and watchful of me, but not attuned to my feelings like Oz and Maddie. Just wonder sometimes if it's related to the eye thing and was curious about other's dogs.

Thought I'd toss in a few pics too. Haven't posted any in quite a while

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/Oz1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/Gull1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/MurphMan2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/MurphMan1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/OzGull1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/OzGull2.jpg

Par...

I have just realised! It isnt soap on his head, its his hair colour!

I feel so stupid now lol forgive me! :eek:

RobiLee
11-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm always a happy woman when I see your gorgeous furkids! You have three very handsome boys there, Par.

My girls also look me in the eyes and I just look right back until they look away..lol. Its become a game now. i don't think it is a dominance issue between us though. I'm sure it is if it were another dog.

Amy, I also feel like people don't like it if Tori looks at them...lol...I have had several people say she looks evil...lol.

ParNone
11-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks everybody on your feedback about the staring and the compliments about my 3 amigos. :)

LOL clarebear! I was stratching my head about the soap comment. Glad you cleared that up.

Hiya Kirby's Mom! What a beautiful Collie! We need to see more pictures of Sophie.

hey there wolf_q! Yeh Gull is a bit bigger then Oz. He's about 90lbs and Oz is about 70lbs. Oz looks downright petite next to him in person.

I dunno if it's maybe because he's a Collie and breed stereotypes and all, but I don't really get the evil stare comments about Oz, even though he's got the blue eyes too. When he's staring at ppl they usually ask, "What does he want?", "Is he waiting for me to tell him to do something?"

Although for me, I really don't think Huskies look all that intimidating, but I guess for some it's the wolf-likeness I guess.

Have ya'll seen a hard stare from a dog? I've seen Gull do it to Oz and Murph over food a couple of times and you can definitely tell the difference in their eyes.

Par...

ramanth
11-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Kia's always staring at me. And sometimes if I don't stare back she'll whine, so we'll just sit and stare at each other. LOL!

Nebo will look me right in the eye too and I don't think it's a dominance thing either with me, it is with other dogs though. He just likes to stare...I think it may be more intimidating sometimes with the blue eyes though, his eyes scare people! :o One of my co-workers got all freaked out the other day because Nebo was staring right at her and smiling lol.
Ditto! I know how you feel Amy. Kia stares at people and they flip out. :rolleyes:

Par, Oz, Gully, and Murph are all beautiful. And my has Gully filled out! *edit* You answered my question in the post above. :D :o

pitc9
11-12-2005, 08:18 AM
With having two hard headed Shepherds at home, staring is not allowed at my house!! If someone stares at me, I stare back at them until they blink or look away. Yes.....We have dominance issues at my house! :o :rolleyes:
It all depends on the breed, high intensity breeds (GSD's, rotts, dobes) need to be taken seriously when they stare at you. You may not know what they're doing, but be assured that they know exactly what they are doing! :D ;)
...sorry for rambling, I've been watching Cesar Milan too much! :o :o

Par, with eyes like Gull & Oz.. how could you NOT stare into their eyes?!?!
And Murph.. can you even SEE his eyes?? LOL!!! :D
Clarebear... LOL.... I didn't have a clue as to what you were talking about with the soap!! :D

clarebear
11-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks everybody on your feedback about the staring and the compliments about my 3 amigos. :)

LOL clarebear! I was stratching my head about the soap comment. Glad you cleared that up.

Hiya Kirby's Mom! What a beautiful Collie! We need to see more pictures of Sophie.

hey there wolf_q! Yeh Gull is a bit bigger then Oz. He's about 90lbs and Oz is about 70lbs. Oz looks downright petite next to him in person.

I dunno if it's maybe because he's a Collie and breed stereotypes and all, but I don't really get the evil stare comments about Oz, even though he's got the blue eyes too. When he's staring at ppl they usually ask, "What does he want?", "Is he waiting for me to tell him to do something?"

Although for me, I really don't think Huskies look all that intimidating, but I guess for some it's the wolf-likeness I guess.

Have ya'll seen a hard stare from a dog? I've seen Gull do it to Oz and Murph over food a couple of times and you can definitely tell the difference in their eyes.

Par...

I thought you had wash him as I see a hose pipe in the background LOL :rolleyes:

beeniesmom
11-12-2005, 10:56 AM
You have fascinating dogs Par. So beautiful!