PDA

View Full Version : We got a foster dog

mugsy
03-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi guys!

Saturday I went to the SPCA and a little girl followed me in and said she had found this dog running up and down her street with no collar and she couldn't keep him. I told her to leave him and if they couldn't take him, I would. Tammy tried every which way to find a spot for him, but to no avail. I suggested that Mike and I foster him for them until we could find him a home (which, btw, won't be hard, at least 5 people saw him Saturday and wanted him then), and she agreed, so we now have Bailey a 3 month old Shar Pei/Lab mix who weighs in at a whopping 25.8 pounds ALREADY!!

Stenograsaurus
03-27-2002, 11:55 AM
Oh, Mugsy, you truly are every dog's angel. Thank you so much for all you do to save these wonderful dogs who get such a bad break in life.

jennifert
03-27-2002, 11:55 AM
Um, where is the picture Mugsy? I would love to see him! Does he have the wrinkly shar-pei skin?

purrley
03-27-2002, 12:11 PM
Mugsy you're a god send. What a sweet and wonderful thing to do. Hope you find a wonderful home for that sweet dog. Sounds like he's simply adorable - give us a look see when you can:)

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-27-2002, 12:43 PM
How kind of you Molly. That little girl knew just who to talk to! I would love to see what Bailey looks like. I bet he adorable!

LoudLou
03-27-2002, 12:53 PM
Hey, Mugsy! So I guess there truly ar Angels here on Earth? Glad you are one of them. Bet Bailey knows you are too. Hope we get to see pictures soon.:D

Sudilar
03-27-2002, 06:28 PM
Mugsy to the rescue!!!!! You and your husband are ANGELS!!!!

tatsxxx11
03-27-2002, 06:56 PM
Mugsy, you are one remarkable woman!!! Did I fail to mention, Mike's pretty special too!! Bless you, and hugs and kisses to the latest addition! Love, Sandra and the Furry Ones.

mugsy
03-28-2002, 08:20 AM
He really is a cute little snot and as soon as I get pictures I will get them posted to my site. I guess this morning he was tearing around the house chasing Billy (who really needs the exercise) having a great time. I discovered last night (at 3AM) that he had a bite on the side of his mouth that had become infected and was oozing icky stuff, so I treated it with H2O2 and some Bactine and it was much better when I got up at 6 and checked it. I took him to school last night to show one of our secretaries (who has a Shar Pei) and she fell in love and the first thing out of her mouth this morning was, "Are you keeping Bailey?" She is so funny anyway, but she just fell all over him and he just didn't know what to do with all the attention from her and from the track team (who got in trouble because they stopped running laps to pet Bailey). He was so worn out by it all, he laid in the back on the way home and slept (on the way there he sat in my lap and helped me drive (and honk the horn in the middle of downtown rush hour traffic! lol:D :eek: :p ).

Gio
03-28-2002, 08:33 AM
You (and Mike) are truly one in a billion! :D

mugsy
04-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Bailey has already grown considerably since we got him. When I brought him home, he was shorter than DeeDee and now he is about 2 inches taller than she is. And ORNERY!!! Wow!! He is in to everything...it's been so long since we've had a puppy in the house, it's been difficult to adjust (for the other dogs too), but he is a little sweetie. Thanks all for your interest.

mugsy
04-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Well, so much for being able to keep Bailey...the SPCA called today and they're coming to pick him up tomorrow because they seem to think we're not taking good enough care of him. Tammy said that because he had a bite on his face (which he got from Tigger when Bailey was trying to eat Tig's food) and we had so many other dogs that there was no way we could keep him and lo and behold she called today and had talked to Betty (the president of the board of directors) and they miraculously had room for him and they were coming to pick him up tomorrow morning. It hurts bad enough to know that we can't keep him, but even worse for me is that they have no faith in me as a pet owner (or at least that is how it appears to me). So, I'm sorry there won't be any pictures of Bailey to show you.

lizbud
04-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Oh Mugsy .... I'm so sorry. You already fell for the
"little snot", didn't you. I know I had Bailey 'pictured'
in my mind. Don't think you did anything wrong !!!
I'll bet they already have someone in mind to adopt
the little guy. Isn't Smokey going to be neutered
sometime this week ? All the best, Liz & Buddy.

mugsy
04-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Yeppers liz...I have to have Smokey at Dr. B's office at 7:30am tomorrow. And, no, they don't have anyone in mind for Bailey...they don't even have his picture up on the adoption board. They're just going to take him and put him in a cage by himself and that's going to be better for him than staying with us where he can sleep with us and get better food and can go out and run around in the yard, etc, etc,etc. Sorry I'm so bitter here, but they really made me mad. I won't be having anything to do with them anymore...I don't like to have my integrity questioned by people I'm trying to help. Ok, I'm done blowing off steam and thanks for listening.

lizbud
04-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Mugsy,

If they don't have some sort of "under the table"
deal to adopt him out soon & just want to take him
out of your care, then, YES that stinks...
Try to think on the bright side, if there is one. Do you
have a lot of traffic through the local SPCA shelter ?
Liz & Buddy.

mugsy
04-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Liz,

Sometimes there is a lot of traffic, but most times not really. It's in a really crappy part of town so people don't want to go there. Right now there are a lot of puppies available...there are 2 litters of 5 each that just became available this week, so who knows how long they will have him. Mike said he didn't understand when they took him today...I'm glad I was gone. I guess they apologized all over themselves for making me think that we were bad pet owners...too late!! Unfortunately, I have the quick Irish temper and the slow German burn, so I anger quickly and don't soon forget...one of my faults (a major one at that). Thanks for being interested.

Molly

tatsxxx11
04-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Mugsy, I was so sad to read your last post. You and Mike know in your hearts the incredible love and caring, the special home you give to these babies in need. Please remeber that! We know how special you are! I'm just sorry you had to give up Bailey. I'm sure he had come to love you both already, and they manner in which he was taken away must have hurt terribly. Try to focus on all those precious creatures who are probably licking you to death right now, and needing you SO much!!:) You are a very special person! Love, Sandra

mugsy
04-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanks Sandra...that means a lot to me. I hope that Bailey gets adopted quickly...he certainly is cute enough. Mike said I should cut them some slack, and we'll see, but I don't know that I can ever get over it. On the bright side, Smokey got neutered today and did great and is home and running around having a great time, and is he ever clingy!!! lol

tatsxxx11
04-04-2002, 07:46 PM
You give that Smokster lots of extra kisses and hugs from me, Cody and Star! Good job, Smokey Man!!! You've got a wonderful Mommy there; and Daddy! Somehow, I just know you're giving him lots of lovin, right now Mugsy!:) Love to you and Mike and your very beautiful FurFamilyExtraordinaire!!:) Sandra and the Furkids.

lizbud
04-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Mugsy,

I'm so happy that Bailey came through his surgery
O.K. I'll bet that little guy is soooo glad to back with
Mom & family. Give Bailey and all the other furkids a
hug & kiss from me. (I realize this might take awhile)
LOL , but the ones you don't hug tonight, you can still
hug tomorrow... Bless you & Mike for being there for
your Special Furkids... All the best, Liz & Buddy.

mugsy
04-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Liz,

Unfortunately, we don't have Bailey back but Smokey was REALLY glad to see me when I went to Dr. B's office this evening to pick him up...he was so happy he didn't even notice the big Lab/Chow mix named King and the baby goat named Princess that were in the waiting room when I took him out!! lol

Molly

lizbud
04-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Sorry Mugsy,

Guess that's what you call a Freudian slip.:o :o

I meant Smokey, but I think you know that.

Hey, I only have the Bud Miester to remember when
I call. Liz & Buddy.

mugsy
04-04-2002, 08:27 PM
I figured you did liz, but wanted to make sure...and yes, it does get confusing sometimes...you know how parents go through the whole list of kids when they yell at someone? Well, that's how it goes in our house when one of the dogs does something wrong!! hehehehe And, I'm rather disappointed that you didn't make mention of the fact that there was a goat in the vet's office!! lol

lizbud
04-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Mugsy,

Our Vet Tech brings her goat in the back way when
she visits the Vets office, so as not to get all the dogs
in the waiting room barking at the same time. LOL.
She also has horses,pigs,chickens,a cow, 2 dogs, many
cats, and assorted other farm critters. No, they all don't
come in at the same time. LOL. So what was the goat
doing at the Vets office ? A patient or just visiting? Liz.

aly
04-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Mugsy,

I am sorry about the situation with Bailey, but please don't stop helping the shelter because of it. Well.. please don't stop helping the critters in need. Of course I know you would never turn your back on them anyway, so what am I saying? :)

So, how many are you up to now?

Gio
04-05-2002, 03:11 AM
the SPCA called today and they're coming to pick him up tomorrow because they seem to think we're not taking good enough care of him.

I can understand why you were upset when you heard this. Only the thought that someone would even suggest that I don't take care or love mine enough would make my blood boil. Obviously these people don't know you at all.

I'm pleased that Smokey's fine after his op. He sounds more adorable by the day, please give him (and the rest of the gang, we don't want anyone to get jealous, do we :D ) a huge hug from me.

mugsy
04-05-2002, 06:19 AM
Thanks guys for all your support. I guess it was the board's decision, but I'm not going to go back for awhile aly, but I would never stop looking out for the good of poochies in need. Liz, Princess the goat had a booboo on her foot, so she was a patient. Dr. B is a farm vet so one never knows what's going to come through the doors next. One time I was in there and someone brought in a newborn reindeer. Was he cute!!! They were concerned that he wasn't going to live, but Dr B worked his magic again and he is fine. My friend raises llamas and he treats them too. He does a lot with 4H. Smokey is already back to his old self and I had to bribe him to come in this morning!!!

sammi
04-08-2002, 04:41 AM
Mugsy, Sorry to hear you no longer have Bailey. I don't understand some people's reasoning. You gave him loves and that might just help him get a home again. You & Mike have done so much for homeless dogs.