PDA

View Full Version : Bengal foster - Samson

kimlovescats
11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Not long ago, I took in 2 females and 1 male purbred Bengal, from a breeder who was going through a divorce. This man met me during rush hour traffic one morning, handed me over the 3 cats and left. Not one bit of information on them, no papers, health record, NOTHING! (He didn't even tell me their names!) :eek: He quickly asked me to have them spayed / neutered before placing them, and went on his merry way. I assured him that of course they would be altered, and that was that.

Well, the two females were place a couple of weeks ago ... into loving PET homes .... spayed, indoors, etc. Now this big boy has come down with the URI virus ... which is frustrating since he SHOULD have been current on his vaccinations. :rolleyes: Well apparently I was dealing with a "backyard" breeder. ANyway ... this boy is very INTACT, and a spraying maniac! :eek: There is no way I can bring him into the house. I tried and one spray stunk to high heaven! LOL!

So... he is having to stay in my separate kennel run in my garage. I absolutely HATE to leave him here, but I want to wait until he is completely over his URI before I have him neutered. OK ... neutering is a given, it WILL be done ASAP! Now... what if the neutering doesn't take care of the spraying? Then what? :confused:

I have to say that I have entertained thoughts of keeping this awesome boy myself, but I don't know that he would ever be able to stay in the house ... AND I doubt that ANY prospective adoptor would want him inside if he continues to spray. So ... you now see my dilemma. So stay or not, to SPRAY or not .... these are the questions! :rolleyes:

HELP!

Kim

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/YardPics018.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/SamsonYard11.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/YardPics045.jpg

He is the sweetest, most gentle boy ... and has the tiniest little meow for such a BIG boy! I don't know what to do!!! waaaaaaaaaah!

k9krazee
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Sorry...I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say that he is VERY handsome!! Good luck!

Soapets
11-09-2005, 03:27 PM
He's an absolutely GORGEOUS kitty! :eek: :) I don't have any answers re. the spraying, but I will PRAY that a good home will be found for him, no matter what the after-effects of the neutering does or doesn't do. Prayer can work wonders, you know! ;) :)

Deb

jazzcat
11-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Kim he is gorgeous!! I'm sorry but I did have to giggle at the second picture. Looks like you caught him in the act. I'm sure you are very frustrated. I have no idea if neutering will help the spraying issue but hopefully it will.

As for the URI, it doesn't automatically mean he isn't up on his vaccinations. Ripley has always had his annual vaccinations yet he still caught Jazz's URI when we first adopted her. Of course from what you've told us about the guy who dropped them off it does sound like he probably didn't take the best care of them.

Good luck.

catmandu
11-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Kim,I wish that I was not so transportationally impaired or I would come down,and pick up Samson.
He is such a Handsome Cat,that Diane is staring at the screen,and meewing,I think
STUD MUFFIN!!!!
I pray that you can find a home for Samson.

kimlovescats
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Lori ... giggle all you want .... yes, he was "in the act" and I had a tough time NOT getting a picture of him in that act! :rolleyes: Let's just say my yard has now been christened and all of the kitties who were witnesses are still in shock! :p

Want him????? :D

Kim

barncat
11-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Having him altered may help, but if he was not really a pet and his behaviors are set, it may not. Have you contacted Cats International? They have some good advice on this sort of situation.

I have a cat right now who was fixed and declawed and then dumped out in the country most likely because he is a territory "marker." He will have a safe home with me and if (the Powers that Be Forbid) I end up having to move, will come with me because I don't think he will ever "get it." Better a safe home than the chance of being dumped over a natural behavior pattern.

Your run looks like a nice place to spend time and he could be in with you to supervise for play and cuddle time... I may be wrong, but I believe I've read that Bengels are sometimes problem children in this area anyway. If you can keep him, I hope you will.

lisalee
11-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Ahh Kim, he's such an incredibly beautiful boy. I hope everything works out with him and you can find him a loving home or keep him yourself. He's so beautiful. :)

jenluckenbach
11-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Well Kim, he may or may not keep spraying. Males who have been bred kind of tend to spray more than even intact males that have not been bred.

One of our voluteers took a male Oriental Short Hair stud when they were "done" with him. He was neutered and good about not spraying for quite a while until one of her fosters went into heat before a spay date could be gotten. The OSH began spraying and continued for the rest of his life.

So it is iffy. I would just go through with the neutering, give him time to get the hormones (and the smell) out, and then just see how well he uses the box. Just a thought, covered boxes might work best as he may continue to stand while peeing. (I have had a couple that do that).

GOOD LUCK! He is beautiful.

kimlovescats
11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Well Kim, he may or may not keep spraying. Males who have been bred kind of tend to spray more than even intact males that have not been bred.

One of our voluteers took a male Oriental Short Hair stud when they were "done" with him. He was neutered and good about not spraying for quite a while until one of her fosters went into heat before a spay date could be gotten. The OSH began spraying and continued for the rest of his life.

So it is iffy. I would just go through with the neutering, give him time to get the hormones (and the smell) out, and then just see how well he uses the box. Just a thought, covered boxes might work best as he may continue to stand while peeing. (I have had a couple that do that).

GOOD LUCK! He is beautiful.

Thanks Jen. He is definitely getting neutered ... then I guess time will tell. It's sounding more and more like he may be a permanent backyard "sprayer" then. Oh well, at least our fenceline will be clearly marked! :rolleyes:

finn's mom
11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
My goodness, he's fantastic! Beautiful, though seeing a bengal makes me miss my Lock so much more than normal. I hope the neutering helps with his spraying. How awesome it would be if you could keep him yourself. Whatever happens, I hope he's able to find a home and get over his infection. Glad the other two kitties were placed, though...

momcat
11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Samson is MAGNIFICENT!!! He is one beautiful kitty.

Sonia59
11-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Samson is very handsome :) ! I have no advice though :( I hope he won't spray anymore

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Oh Kim, he is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! He looks very determined too, lots of "cat-titude" here!!
I don't have any advise, but I wish you all the luck you ned with him. He deserves a good forever home :)

orangemm
11-10-2005, 04:26 AM
What a handsome cat! He does have that 'wild' look about him, though. O well, he's only doing what comes naturally to him, can't fault him for that.

Samson, you are gorgeous!

I wonder how many others that breeder has business with?

Isn't that strange that the hunkiest cats have the tiniest meows? :eek:

Laura's Babies
11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, let HOPE that it is the male in him, combined with the URI that has him spraying and ones everything is "fixed" he will stop that spraying. He is STUNNING! If he don't stop, there are people looking for outside babies so don't give up on him. He took my breath away with his markings, he is so STUNNING!