PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinate Every Year??

pitc9
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I got my card in the mail from the vets office yesterday letting me know it's been a year since the dogs had their shots. I think I may no longer vaccinate every year I'm thinking about doing it every other year.
With all the talk about over vaccinating and how it can lead to cancer it just makes you wonder, but then again... what if you don't and they catch something.
What do you think about it?

Jessika
11-09-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure actually.. I'd like to hear some thoughts on the matter before making a choice or decision. I WAS going to vaccinate yearly, but if there are problems caused by it or other things, I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about it!

cali
11-09-2005, 01:09 PM
I do parvo as a pup and nothing else ever.

Cinder & Smoke
11-09-2005, 01:13 PM
That's a Big Question these days! :confused:

Do a Google search with terms like annual or yearly vaccinations and you'll get a
LOT of differing opinions.

Since Cinder, Smokey & Bowser get "Out & About" a LOT with me -
I tend to be swayed towards getting them annual shots.
And some of the places we go "REQUIRE" proof that they have had them.

Lady's Human
11-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Given the fact that most municipalities around here require dog licenses, and they all require vaccinations to GET a dog license, we don't have much choice.

Ginger's Mom
11-09-2005, 01:33 PM
When Ginger got her shots last year (2004) they were good for two years (three years for rabies). So they aren't doing yearly vaccinations around here any more. I did still take her for a yearly check up though, simply because she can't talk, and I wanted to make sure everything was functioning as it should.

.sarah
11-09-2005, 01:35 PM
My dogs are vaccinated every other year. I don't want to over or under vaccinate!

Logan
11-09-2005, 01:47 PM
We do annual vaccinations because that is what our vet suggests and also SC law requires annual rabies shots.

We chose to only get the rabies for out senior girl, Murphy, this year, and she never even had to get out of the car because we went to a mobile vet. We also took Mimi, our senior kitty, but she got the full panel of shots, including her Feline Leukemia booster.

Kirbys Mom
11-09-2005, 01:50 PM
sophie gets her's ever year and Kirby is goin to get all his, i just want to be safe i dont want to lose my dogs to disease

Husky_mom
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
i think it depends, as puppies get ALL vaccines (donīt wanna risk them), as youngsters reinforcements (sp?) and as adults i only give rabies anually until certain age (once a vet told me that at certain age its no longer necesary since they had years and years of shots) (about 8yrs iīm talking about, that when he said that to me, for one of my firsts dogs)

IRescue452
11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Autumn and Pepper get rabies shots every three years, its the law. They both get distemper, kennel cough and a few others every few years. I personally bring my dogs everywhere so I vaccinate when needed. Sonny get a feline leuk and thats it, he's never outside and never sneaks out. My dogs have never shown allergies or and symptoms after vaccinations so I'm not worried about them at all. If they did have even the slightest lump where the shot was I'd do only necessary vaccinations, but I think people freak too much. These shots and the shots people get have caused a low percentage of deaths and other health problems for years and nobody on this thread knew about it. Their dogs were fine. There isn't going to be a change in your dog after you find out about it.

DogLover9501
11-09-2005, 04:01 PM
All of mine had all puppy vaccinations, but do not get yearly ones.

I had Jaspers appointment made this year, but after doing alot of reading on the subject, I decided to cancel it. It's hard to know what to do, but if the vaccinations do stay in their systems for longer than a year(like I've read) than it doesn't sound safe at all to give another one.

gemini9961
11-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Sadie and Maggie are vaccinated yearly and I plan on doing it with Grant. Rabies are pretty much required around here and I get the distemper and bordetella too. They are around a lot of other dogs so I don't want them to get sick. My vet has never said anything to the contrary with yearly vaccinations.

AllAmericanPUP
11-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I stopped vaccinatingyearly last year after ozzy,barkey and eli got their first adult shots
i think it's a waste of money and i believe it does hurt the dog in the long run.

yes it's the law to have rabies but i'm not going to jeapordize my dogs health because the law says i should.
if they ever got caught by AC and found to have no updated rabies then yes I would get a fine but i'd rather pay a fine then to jeapordize their health

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I have no say at all how often Tia and the Dobes get vaccinated as they aren't really my dogs, they belong to my parents but since I live here they are just the family dogs I guess. My parents always get the dogs vaccinated every 2 years or so, could be 3 now though I'm not sure. Tango won't be vaccinated as often, Tollers are a breed that should have limited vaccines as they are prone to severe allergic reactions that (if serious enough) can lead to death. Another reason she doesn't get vaccinated as often is because I don't think it's all that necessary for the amount of places she goes and the new animals she comes in contact with, that's just my opinion though. Hopefully that all made sense....

lizbud
11-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, I get the pups their vaccinations every year. Rabies vac is
required yearly by the state & the city.

poofy
11-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Sammyj had his booster 4 in 1 and had a very bad reaction to it, my friend that works for a emergency pet hospital, said he could have died, im very glad he got thru it,,I wont be having any more booster for him, but will get the rabies it will be good for 3 years, even though im dreading it..I hope it dont make him sick..yollie had her 6 n 1 and did fine and will have the next set end of the mo.I will get all her puppy shots for sure..I just dont want them making them sick.. :(

wolfie
11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
We used to vaccinate yearly, but I've been reading up on it, and I don't think we'll be doing it anymore. Most of what I read tells me it's only important to vaccinate as puppies - for parvo and distemper. I don't want them developing allergies (well, Cocoa already has them!), tumors, and who knows what else. And people are only vaccinated as kids.

I think we're going to just do the rabies every 3 years, because that's required by law.

And when I get a cat, I've read that the rabies shot can cause tumors, so I don't think I'd do rabies for a cat (well, indoor cat). I still have more reading up to do on cats though.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Because my dogs go almost everywhere with me I get them vaccinated a little more than I'd like to. But still not every year.

They get the rabies shot when due because it is a state law.

I like to get their vaccines (DHLPPC) every year for the first few (2-5) years, then every 2-3 years after that. Nanook hasn't had any vaccines (except rabies) for about 6 years & he won't ever have any again.

I'm worried about Kaige though. Maybe some folks who show can shed some light about it... or I will research some info on it when I can. But i am afraid that he may have to have his vaccines every year becuase I plan on entering him into shows. I believe all (or most) require that the dogs are UPT on their vaccines.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-10-2005, 09:04 AM
My dogs get their Rabies shots evey 3 years as suggested by my vet. I don't get them their bordetella at all, except this year I did get Nacey a bordetella vaccination because she's in a training class, but normally I don't get them that. Their DHLPP I get about every 2 years. I don't vaccinate Buster at all any more as he is 10 years old and never goes anywhere anyway.

pnance
11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
My dogs get vaccinated every 3 yrs for rabies (required by law) and yearly for the others. My vet recommends all puppy shots, then annual for about the first 2-3 years, at which point switch to about every other year unless the dog is around other dogs or goes where lots of other dogs go (a dog park for instance), if that's the case she recommends annually. Because they go a lot of places with me and are around other dogs a lot I figured I'd better keep them annual. My cats are another story...I only get them the FVRCP combo and that only because 1 of mine has feline herpes, which I'd rather prevent the others from getting. They don't go outside at all so I don't have to worry about that.

Glacier
11-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Nope, I vaccinate when they first arrive if I don't know if they've been vaccinated. Repeat in a year. And that's it. I never vaccinate for kennel cough. I do rabies approximately every 3 years as the city requires that in order to keep my kennel liscense. I don't vaccinate dogs over 7 at all, unless they are new arrivals who's history I don't know. Then they get one series including rabies. I do all my own shots, except rabies. My vet comes to the house for those.

areias
11-10-2005, 02:20 PM
My dogs are the family dogs as well, and my parents dictate what they get. Basically that means they haven't had their shots for several years, but I don't see a problem with it. The only thing they ever had was Casey and Boomer caught kennel cough, and with some cough syrup it cleared up in a week. Even dogs with the kennel cough vaccine can get it, its only a 50% coverage. I did get Sam's rabies done at the beginning of the summer, because the vet wouldn't see him otherwise (for a skin problem), I'm taking Casey to the vet soon and will probably get a rabies shot, because we have possums come in the yard and I also take her out to the state park. And Boomer got a 3 year rabies when we adopted him, so he's okay. We don't bother with DHLPP unless we are boarding them.

I do believe in giving puppies their shots, however. Parvo is not a fun thing.

Suki Wingy
11-10-2005, 03:11 PM
this is the first time I have ever heard of someone who cares about their dogs not vaccinating yearly!

ramanth
11-10-2005, 03:14 PM
I didn't vote because for Kia it's option 1 and 2.

Kia goes in every year for an annual physical, but many of her vaccinations are three year shots. Certain ones like Bordatella are required every year so she can go to the dog park.

So in a way she is vaccinated every year, but not for every innoculation. She won't need a rabies vaccination again until 2008.

chocolatepuppy
11-10-2005, 08:23 PM
My vets just started staggering shots. They do consider the dogs/cats lifestyle as to their risk factor. Different dogs/cats might need more or less protection. Rabies is a state law, every three years here.

wolf_Q
11-10-2005, 09:26 PM
So far Nebo has had all of the puppy shots plus the yearly boosters every year (rabies 2 years) but I'm debating on whether or not to continue. I need to research more on the subject, but I think I may do it at least every other year instead of each year...still get the rabies at least because it's required by state law and to get a dog license. I'm going to call around and see if any vets around here do the testing that shows if they need the shots again or not. I worry though because he is around other dogs often, he goes to work with me (grooming salon) every couple of weeks or so. I just want to do what is best for him and I'm not sure what that is. :(

wolfie
11-12-2005, 11:20 AM
This is for everyone who vaccinates yearly

The AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) itself published an article recommending dogs and cats be vaccinated every 3 years. It has been proven that vaccines rabies, parvo... last for 3+ years.

However, there are vets against this, because a large portion of their income is from vaccinating dogs and cats. But, you still should bring your dog for a check-up every year.

sources:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_5_65/ai_100046377
http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-6-81-118-3844-1-P,00.html

wolfsoul
11-12-2005, 11:25 AM
No, I disagree with vaccinating every year. Scientists have already shown that some vaccines, such as rabies, are good for up to 10 years. Visa had her parvo vaccine as a puppy. It weakened her immune system and she developed parvo. I will go with what my vet recommends -- a parvo/distemper shot at 12 weeks, and nothing else ever again.

Lady's Human
11-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Regardless of feelings on the subject, if your municipality requires rabies annually you should do it, because if the animal is picked up by animal control without a rabies tag at a minimum it's a fine and mandatory vaccination before you can get the animal back.

vinjashira
11-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Snowy gets one set of vaccination (Nobivac Lepto 2) every year and the other set (Nobivac DHPPi) every 3 years as sugested by the vet. I have to show her up-to-date vaccination certificate if for some reason I put her in a boarding kennel.

QueenScoopalot
11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Our dogs and cats get three year rabies shots as it's a law here. And all have had the puppy/kitten series of vaccinations, but as far as yearly, there are too many vaccination related sarcomas cropping up to subject the animals to yearly shots. Also your vet when doing vaccinating should be injecting rabies into the right hind leg, and the other shots into the left. This way if your pet does develop sarcoma the limb can be amputated. Treating sarcomas around the neck area are horrific surgerys for pets, and sometimes the cancer comes back requiring more cutting. I added a rather long (sorry I had no link) vaccination protocol sent out by 27 vet schools in the U.S.
VACCINATION NEWSFLASH

I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of changing their protocols for vaccinating dogs and cats.

Some of this information will present an ethical & economic challenge to vets, and there will be skeptics. Some organizations have come up with a political compromise suggesting vaccinations every 3 years to appease those who fear loss of income vs those concerned about potential side effects. Politics, traditions, or the doctor's economic well being should not be a factor in medical decision.

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY

"Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces an immunity which is good for the life of the pet (ie: canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted" nor are more memory cells induced.

"Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia.

"There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines.

"Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8-14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced. Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 mo) will provide lifetime immunity.

CURRENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DOGS

"Distemper & Parvo. According to Dr. Schultz, AVMA, 8-15-95, when a vaccinations series given at 2, 3 & 4 months and again at 1 year with a MLV, puppies and kitten program memory cells that survive for life, providing lifelong immunity.

"Dr. Carmichael at Cornell and Dr. Schultz have studies showing immunity against challenge at 2-10 years for canine distemper & 4 years for parvovirus. Studies for longer duration are pending.

"There are no new strains of parvovirus as one mfg. would like to suggest. Parvovirus vaccination provides cross immunity for all types.

"Hepatitis (Adenovirus) is one of the agents known to be a cause of kennel cough. Only vaccines with CAV-2 should be used as CAV-1 vaccines carry the risk of "hepatitis blue-eye" reactions & kidney damage.

"Bordetella Parainfluenza: Commonly called "Kennel cough", recommended only for those dogs boarded, groomed, taken to dog shows, or for any reason housed where exposed to a lot of dogs. The intranasal vaccine provides more complete and more rapid onset of immunity with less chance of reaction. Immunity requires 72 hours and does not protect from every cause of kennel cough. Immunity is of short duration (4 to 6 months).

RABIES
There have been no reported cases of rabid dogs or cats in Harris, Montogomery or Ft. Bend Counties [Texas], there have been rabid skunks and bats so the potential exists. It is a killed vaccine and must be given every year.

Lyme disease is a tick born disease which can cause lameness, kidney failure and heart disease in dogs. Ticks can also transmit the disease to humans.

The original Ft. Dodge killed bacteria has proven to be the most effective vaccine.

Lyme disease prevention should emphasize early removal of ticks. Amitraz collars are more effective than Top Spot, as amitraz paralyzes the tick's mouth parts preventing transmission of disease.

VACCINATIONS NOT RECOMMENDED Multiple components in vaccines compete with each other for the immune system and result in lesser immunity for each individual disease as well as increasing the risk of a reaction.

Canine Corona Virus is only a disease of puppies. It is rare, self limiting (dogs get well in 3 days without treatment). Cornell & Texas A&M have only diagnosed one case each in the last 7 years. Corona virus does not cause disease in adult dogs.

"Leptospirosis vaccine is a common cause of adverse reactions in dogs. Most of the clinical cases of lepto reported in dogs in the US are caused by serovaars (or types) grippotyphosa and bratsilvia. The vaccines contain different serovaars eanicola and ictohemorrhagica. Cross protection is not provided and protection is short lived. Lepto vaccine is immuno-supressive to puppies less than 16 weeks.

NEW RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CATS

Feline vaccine related Fibrosarcoma is a type of terminal cancer related in inflammation caused by rabies & leukemia vaccines. This cancer is thought to affect 1 in 10,000 cats vaccinated. Vaccines with aluminum adjuvant, an ingredient included to stimulate the immune system, have been implicated as a higher risk.

We now recommend a non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine for cats. Testing by Dr. Macy, Colorado State, has shown this vaccine to have the lowest tissue reaction and although there is no guarantee that a vaccine induced sarcoma will not develop, the risk will be much lower than with other vaccines.

Program injectable 6 mo flea prevention for cats has been shown to be very tissue reactive & therefore has the potential of inducing an injection site fiborsarcoma. If your cats develops a lump at the site of a vaccination, we recommend that it be removed ASAP, within 3-12 weeks.

Feline Leukemia Virus Vaccine This virus is the leading viral killer of cats. The individuals most at risk of infection are young outdoor cats, indoor/outdoor cats and cats exposed to such individuals. Indoor only cats with no exposure to potentially infected cats are unlikely to become infected. All cats should be tested prior to vaccination.

Cats over one year of age are naturally immune to Fel.V whether they are vaccinated or not, so annual vaccination of adult cats is not necessary.

The incubation period of Feline leukemia can be over 3 years, so if your cat is in the incubation state of the disease prior to vaccination, the vaccine will not prevent the disease.

Feline Panleukopenia Virus Vaccine. Also called feline distemper is a highly contagious and deadly viral disease of kittens. It's extremely hardy and is resistant to extremes in temperature and to most available disinfectants. Although an effective treatment protocol is available, it is expensive to treat. Because of the serious nature of the disease and the continued presence of virus in the environment, vaccination is highly recommended for all kittens. Cats vaccinated at 6 month or older with either killed or MLV vaccine will produce an immunity good for life. Adult cats do NOT need this vaccine.

"Feline Calicivirus/Herpesvirus Vaccine. Responsible for 80-90% of infectious feline upper respiratory tract diseases. The currently available injectable vaccines will minimize the severity of upper respiratory infections, although none will prevent disease in all situations. Intranasal vaccines are more effective at preventing the disease entirely. Don't worry about normal sneezing for a couple of days. Because intranasal vaccines produce an immunity of shorter durations, annual vaccination is recommended.

VACCINES NOT RECOMMENDED Chlamydia or pneumonitis. The vaccine produces on a short (2 month) duration of immunity and accounts for less than 5% of upper respiratory infections in cats. The risks outweigh the benefits.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis. A controversial vaccine. Most kittens that contract FIP become infected during the first 3 months of life. The vaccine is labeled for use at 16 weeks. All 27 vet schools do not recommend the vaccine.

Bordetella. A new vaccine for feline bordetella has been introduced. Dr. Wolfe of Texas A&M says that bordetella is a normal flora and does not cause disease in adult cats. Dr. Lappin of Colorado State says that a review of the Colorado State medical records reveals not one case diagnosed in 10 years.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS

Giardia is the most common intestinal parasite of humans in North America, 30% or more of all dogs & cats are infected with giardia. It has now been demonstrated that humans can transmit giardia to dogs & cats & vice versa.

Heartworm preventative must be given year round in Houston.

VACCINES BADLY NEEDED "New vaccines in development include: Feline Immunodeficiency virus and cat scratch fever vaccine for cats and Ehrlichia [one of the other tick diseases, much worse than Lymes] for dogs.

THE VIEW FROM THE TRENCHES; BUSINESS ASPECTS

"Most vets recommend annual boosters and most kennel operators require them. For years the pricing structure of vets has misled clients into thinking that the inherent value of an annual office visit was in the "shots" they failed to emphasize the importance of a physical exam for early detection of treatable diseases.

It is my hope that you will continue to require rabies & Kennel cough and emphasize the importance of a recent vet exam. I also hope you will accept the new protocols and honor these pets as currently vaccinated. Those in the boarding business who will honor the new vaccine protocols can gain new customers who were turned away from vet owned boarding facilities reluctant to change.

CONCLUSION Dogs & cats no longer need to be vaccinated against distemper, parvo, & feline leukemia every year. Once the initial series of puppy or kitten vaccinations and first annual vaccinations are completed, immunity from MLV vaccines persists for life. It has been shown that cats over 1 year of age are immune to Feline Leukemia whether they have been vaccinated or not. Imagine the money you will save, not to mention less risks from side effects.

PCR rabies vaccine, because it is not adjuvanted, will mean less risk of mediated hemolytic anemia and allergic reactions are reduced by less frequent use of vaccines as well as by avoiding unnecessary vaccines such as K-9 Corona virus and chlamydia for cats, as well as ineffective vaccines such as Leptospirosis and FIP.

Intranasal vaccine for Rhiotracheitis and Calici virus, two upper respiratory viruses of cats provide more complet protection than injectable vaccines with less risk of serious reactions.

The AAHA and all 27 veterinary schools of North America are our biggest endorsement for these new protocols.

Dr. Bob Rogers

Please consider as current on all vaccinations for boarding purposes.

DOGS

Initial series of puppy vaccines
1. distemper, hepatitis, parvo, parinfluenze - 3 sets one month apart concluding at 16 weeks of age.
2. Rabies at 16 weeks of age (later is better)
3. Bordetella within last 4-6 months

First annual (usually at 1 year and 4 months of age)
1. DHP, Parvo, Rabies
2. Bordetella within last 4-6 months

2 years or older
1. Rabies with in last year
2. Bordetella within last 4-6 months
3. DHP & Parvo given anytime over 6 months of age, but notnecessarily within the last year.

Recommended: Physical exam for transmissible diseases and health risks.

CATS

Initial kitten series
1. Distemper [PLP], Rhino Calicivirus, Feline Leukemia Vaccine - 3 sets given one month apart

concluding at 16 weeks.
2. Rabies at 16 weeks

First Annual [usually at 1 year and 4 months of age]
1. Distemper (PLP), Rhino Calicivirus, Rabies

2 years or older
1. Rabies within the last year
2. Rhino Calicivirus within last year
3. Distemper and FelV given anytime after 6 months of age, but not necessarily with the last year.

Recommended: Physical exam, FeLV/FIV testing, fecal exam for giardia

ESS-lover
11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Most definately!

Cowboy is a field dog - and crashes through everything with ticks, fleas, etc -- not to mention the squirrels he loves to chase with rabies.

Lady's Human
11-18-2005, 12:00 PM
QS, the vet colleges can do whatever they like with their vaccination reccomendation, but if the law requires the vaccinations, there's not much one can do.

Ree'sKujo
12-02-2005, 09:51 PM
After a year I only vaccinate for rabies and distemper.The vet says anything more then that is really overkill.

binka_nugget
12-03-2005, 04:15 AM
If I could, I'd only get their puppy shots with maybe an occasional booster every 3-5 years or so but a lot of the places I take them to require proof of vaccination.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-03-2005, 01:58 PM
My vet hasen't mailed out a carn this year :mad:!! Although we love our vet, I'm just a little upset that we haven't gotten a card, or a phone call...I guess I'll have to make the call myself, or I'll have my mother do it....

lute
12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
i vaccinate my pups every year. even rabiese,even though it's a 3 yr shot.

Jessika
12-03-2005, 03:06 PM
My vet hasen't mailed out a carn this year :mad:!! Although we love our vet, I'm just a little upset that we haven't gotten a card, or a phone call...I guess I'll have to make the call myself, or I'll have my mother do it....

Well its not really the vet's responsibility to remind you to vaccinate.. lol. It's just a courtesy thing that they mail out the cards. ;)

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2005, 07:59 PM
We get vaccinations yearly, rabies every 3. The vaccinations are required for therpay dogs (unless you do titers) also weel as the dogs parks and dayschools we go to. Our dogs are literally exposed to 100's of different dogs each year and I think it is too risky to not vaccinate. Maybe whenthey get older and aren't out as much we will cut back, but for now, I think we are better off vaccinating.

Uabassoon
12-03-2005, 08:05 PM
i vaccinate my pups every year. even rabiese,even though it's a 3 yr shot.

There are two different rabies vaccines on the market, one is good for a year and the other is good for 3 years. Are you sure that your vet is giving you the vaccine that is good for 3 years and still vaccinating your dogs every year? If so that is not healthy at all.

Ree'sKujo
12-03-2005, 08:26 PM
The 3yr.can't be given until a dog is 2yrs.old.How old is your dog?