PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp, liver, etc.

mruffruff
11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I would like to feed my cats shrimp, liver, and other goodies occasionally, but I'm not sure if they should be raw or cooked.

What the general consenus?

smokey the elder
11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
It's better if they're cooked, I think. My cats love the turkey liver out of the giblets bag at Thanksgiving! it stinks up the house, though. :p ;)

Logan
11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Mary, mine rarely get a shot at raw meat, but I have to tell you that shrimp, cooked or raw, is the "cat's meow" around here. They LOVE it, either way.

Randi
11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty sure they want the liver raw, but cooked shrimps are quite allright. Also, raw pieces of cod will go down well! Whatever you do, only give them a little at a time! ;) If you intend to cook it all, don't let them have any raw first, because they may not think the cooked version is so exiting! Oh, and if they're not at least 3 rooms away when you open it, you won't get a chance to cook it! :D

Let us know what they think. :)

Soapets
11-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Angel, Shadow, and Annie all asked me if they can come to your house for dinner tonight! :D They never get any of those things here, so I have no idea whether to cook it or not. I wouldn't want that stuff in my house, but I might have to reconsider if my three go on strike here after reading what other kitties get from their hoomans! :D

Deb

moosmom
11-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I've bought a Perdue oven stuffer roaster and actually cooked the giblets for them. They won't touch it. They won't even touch any kind of beef or liver canned cat food.

Now fish is a totally different story. They LOVE shrimp, scallops and whitefish, not to mention tuna.

catmandu
11-09-2005, 04:45 PM
There are several Cat Cook Books out,that show you the proper way,to prepare those Meats safely,and nutritionally completely for your Cat.
I tried a Turkey Fillet Recipe,and it was a BIG SUCESS!
And I am no Emmeril when it comes to cooking.
But the Found Cats and Porchies said
BAM!!!
I would check your Library.

mruffruff
11-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Well, i cooked some shrimp last night. Peeled and de-tailed them even. Mac thought they were wonderful and begged for more, but he only got 2 finger-sized ones.

Shai wasn't interested; wanted Temptations instead. I put a few down for the other cats but didn't see who got them. With 8 in one room, I could create a real cat fight if I'm not careful.

My daughter's fiance goes shrimping every year and they clean and freeze as much as they can get. I sometimes get the overflow from the freezer.

I plan on having liver sometime soon; cheaper than shrimp. And I sometimes buy chicken livers. I won't cook the liver, but I'll have to figure out how to treat them one at a time.