PDA

View Full Version : my molly's ears

angelicab4l
11-09-2005, 09:16 AM
ok i have a question. my friend told me never to bother with my dogs ears but she keeps itching this one ear and i looked in it and its dirty. i may be stupid but i need to know how to clean her ears out she keeps shaking like they do when they get wet to dry off. and i just want her ears cleaned. i was told there is a way to do it but she wont sit still for me to do it and i just dont know what to do. help.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
I'd take her to the vet first to find out what is causing the problem. They will advise you on the best way to treat it

wolfie
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
i may be stupid but i need to know how to clean her ears out she keeps shaking like they do when they get wet to dry off.

No, you're not stupid at all, I'm glad you want to help your girl! You are a responsible dog owner. Our neighbor had a dog with really gross ears, and they didn't care at all. It made me so sad for the dog - you could tell she was in pain from her ears, they were that bad.

If she's shaking her head, she might have an ear infection, or maybe mites. The best thing would be to take her to the vet. They can clear the infection or mites.

After the vet you can clean them yourself. You can buy ear cleaning solution at the pet store. Put some on cotton balls (not q-tips, they can damage your dog's ear), and rub the inside of the ear. If they're dirty it might take a few cotton balls.

If she doesn't like her ears handled, start by petting her near the ears, and then start petting her ears, and giving her treats when she lets you. If she's just energetic and excited, try doing it after a walk or something, when she's tired. Or you can try diverting her attention by rubbing some peanut butter on the fridge door, at eye level. While she's busy, you can get to her ears.

Good luck with your girl!

poofy
11-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Sammyj was doing the same thing with his ears, I took him to the vet and he had an ear infection and I got medication from him for it, he said to clean his use cotton balls..I wont say what else he told me because I think you need to hear all of it from your vet..Its important to let himck his ears.. :D

Jessika
11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
If she's shaking her head, she might have an ear infection, or maybe mites. The best thing would be to take her to the vet. They can clear the infection or mites.

Yup that's what I was going to suggest -- ear infection or mites! In either case if they are REALLY bothering her, bring her to the vet pronto! :)

Bonny
11-12-2005, 02:30 PM
My dogs get to flopping their ears. I had the veterinary to a health check. He took a swab of the inner ear & looked under a microscope & gave us some cream to squirt into the ear & I use a half of kleenex to clean the outer ear. The cotton swab works ok but I am afraid of poking them in the ear. They really don't like it when I clean the excess medicine out. I squirt the medicine in the ear, then message the ear gently & they usually will shake their heads & that is when the excess cream works its way out into the outer inner ear flap. Then I use the half kleenex to whip the excess cream out. It gets oily & makes the outer inner ear flap dirty. Do take your dog to the veterinary & they will most likely give you medicine for your dogs ear.