PDA

View Full Version : Poodles?

Horse Lover
11-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Everyone

Me and my family were looking into poodle because we need a nice non-shedding dog ( at least mostly doesnt shed) so I was wondering about the poodle :confused: i really don't know a ton but i have looked it up and they are nice dog(we are looking at standard poodles)If anybody knows poodle more than i do i would appreciate the help and also are they good with cats?
Thanks

Jessika
11-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I hardly know anything about them but I would like to kill a rumor - poodles are NOT hypoallergenic because of their fur. There is NO hypoallergenic animal. ;)

Horse Lover
11-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah I heard that before :) Its Ok just a dog that doesnt shed A TON! like i cant have a big fluffy dog But i would like to but we cant have a big shedding dog :(

Flatcoatluver
11-08-2005, 09:39 PM
well my freind show there standard poodles, so i know about there breed but not tons, i know another dog that does not shed are the schnauzer. But i would consider you guys rescueing beacause i am sure there is alot more in shelters that don't shed or as much, but if you brush and bath the dogs alot you won't have much of a problem.

Jessika
11-08-2005, 09:49 PM
What do you need to know about dander?

bckrazy
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Standard Poodles are AWESOME dogs :).. they're high energy, good-natured, and super intellegent. Their hair does grow instead of shedding, but that means they need to be well brushed daily. They are great for people with lots and lots of time to spend training and exercising their dog and you will be spending $100's a year on grooming!

There are lots of low-shedding breeds ~ Portugese Water Dogs, Schnauzers, Shih Tzu's and Lhasa Apso's, etc. Basically any breed without an undercoat will not shed heavily. Is some one allergic in your house?

IRescue452
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Just to correct that you can't have a "shaggy" dog, short haired dogs often shed much more than long haired dogs.

caseysmom
11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a mix that is half poodle and I have always had dogs that don't need grooming so from that standpoint be warned, the grooming is lots of money and work. You HAVE to keep up with the daily brushing or you have a knotted mess. I would take the shedding fur over that kind of fur any day.

Now on the other hand, I love standard poodles I think they are awesome dogs and I love my small poodle mix's personality a lot. Standard poodles are being used as assistance dogs quite a bit because of their intelligence and good disposition.

anna_66
11-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi Everyone

Me and my family were looking into poodle because we need a nice non-shedding dog ( at least mostly doesnt shed) so I was wondering about the poodle :confused: i really don't know a ton but i have looked it up and they are nice dog(we are looking at standard poodles)If anybody knows poodle more than i do i would appreciate the help and also are they good with cats?
Thanks
I think the person you should be asking about this is Pam (http://petoftheday.com/talk/member.php?u=136). She has a standard and a miniature poodle. Just PM her, I'm sure she'd be happy to answer all your questions:D

Oh and btw...Welcome to Pet Talk!

poofy
11-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Everyone

Thanks
We have 2 dogs in our family that are part poodle, and they dont really shed like you would think..mostly when they are combed, and this we do every day. and they arnt that hard to take care of if you do daily brusing and combing, and we dont have fur all over either..I think they are low maintance.evey dog has dander, so you really cant get away from that. :D

Pam
11-09-2005, 05:07 AM
I have two poodles right now and have had four others over the years. I have had all three sizes and all colors and just adore any kind of poodle. :) They absolutely do not shed, although their hair will mat easily and requires constant care because it grows and grows just like human hair, unlike other dogs' hair which stops at a certain length. They need to be bathed and groomed every 4-6 weeks and it is not optional. :) You can use a groomer or do it yourself. To be honest it is not difficult to do it yourself if you want to. The expense of the grooming tools will soon pay for themselves many times over, and I enjoy the bonding experience with my dogs.

Bella is my second standard, and since you mentioned standards I will start there. They are smart, loving dogs with a lot of energy to burn. Bella would run and fetch until the cows come home. :) Their temperaments are excellent and they do well with children and other dogs and cats. They want nothing more than to please you and be with you constantly.

Ripley is my second mini and he was a rescue. I really lucked out with this little boy because he is a dream who has fit into my home like he was born here. I also groom him and he stands as still as a statue for me. :) He tends to bark more than Bella (minis usually do bark more than standards) but he is just a sweetie pie. I would encourage you to look at rescuing too.

I started out years ago with two toys. They were so sweet that they started my poodle addiction. They too did well with other dogs and children. When my children came along and were crawling and inquisitive toddlers they quickly learn to stay out of the way of exploring little hands that might hurt them. Never once did I have any snapping or growling. My first toy poodle was housebroken in a weekend so you can see what little smarties they are. Poodles are often used as seeing eye dogs and therapy dogs. I think they would be used more except for the grooming situation. It is definitely something that can't be ignored. My pet peeve personally is people who adopt a poodle and let them mat. :mad: I am glad to see you are doing your research ahead of time. Keep us posted on what you decide. :)

Horse Lover
11-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Standard Poodles are AWESOME dogs :).. they're high energy, good-natured, and super intellegent. Their hair does grow instead of shedding, but that means they need to be well brushed daily. They are great for people with lots and lots of time to spend training and exercising their dog and you will be spending $100's a year on grooming!

There are lots of low-shedding breeds ~ Portugese Water Dogs, Schnauzers, Shih Tzu's and Lhasa Apso's, etc. Basically any breed without an undercoat will not shed heavily. Is some one allergic in your house?
Yes someone is allergic not a horribly bad allergy but there are still allergies

Horse Lover
11-09-2005, 06:23 AM
What do you need to know about dander?
Oh sorry nevermind about that

Horse Lover
11-09-2005, 06:27 AM
I have two poodles right now and have had four others over the years. I have had all three sizes and all colors and just adore any kind of poodle. :) They absolutely do not shed, although their hair will mat easily and requires constant care because it grows and grows just like human hair, unlike other dogs' hair which stops at a certain length. They need to be bathed and groomed every 4-6 weeks and it is not optional. :) You can use a groomer or do it yourself. To be honest it is not difficult to do it yourself if you want to. The expense of the grooming tools will soon pay for themselves many times over, and I enjoy the bonding experience with my dogs.

Bella is my second standard, and since you mentioned standards I will start there. They are smart, loving dogs with a lot of energy to burn. Bella would run and fetch until the cows come home. :) Their temperaments are excellent and they do well with children and other dogs and cats. They want nothing more than to please you and be with you constantly.

Ripley is my second mini and he was a rescue. I really lucked out with this little boy because he is a dream who has fit into my home like he was born here. I also groom him and he stands as still as a statue for me. :) He tends to bark more than Bella (minis usually do bark more than standards) but he is just a sweetie pie. I would encourage you to look at rescuing too.

I started out years ago with two toys. They were so sweet that they started my poodle addiction. They too did well with other dogs and children. When my children came along and were crawling and inquisitive toddlers they quickly learn to stay out of the way of exploring little hands that might hurt them. Never once did I have any snapping or growling. My first toy poodle was housebroken in a weekend so you can see what little smarties they are. Poodles are often used as seeing eye dogs and therapy dogs. I think they would be used more except for the grooming situation. It is definitely something that can't be ignored. My pet peeve personally is people who adopt a poodle and let them mat. :mad: I am glad to see you are doing your research ahead of time. Keep us posted on what you decide. :)
Thanks for the info :) We were orginally going to get a goldendoole pup from a breeder then we found out that SOME goldendoodles shed so we really couldnt risk the allergies in the family :(

areias
11-09-2005, 06:41 AM
A "Golden Doodle" is a designer breed. A breeder should not be selling these dogs...they are simply mixes that are being sold for more.

Poodles are awesome dogs...just as everyone said. They are not hypo-allergenic, there is still dander, and I believe someone else said that a lot of allergies come from saliva also. A smaller dog that dosen't shed might work better, especially if you can't handle the grooming requirements of a poodle. Like other people said, schnauzers are a good choice, they have miniature, standard, and giant schnauzers. And then there are the hairless breeds...the Chinese Crested, American Hairless, among a few. (One of my favorite breeds is the American Hairless). Were you specifically looking for a big dog though?

And a beagle will shed just as much as a papillon will...just different types of fur.

Horse Lover
11-09-2005, 06:44 AM
A "Golden Doodle" is a designer breed. A breeder should not be selling these dogs...they are simply mixes that are being sold for more.

Poodles are awesome dogs...just as everyone said. They are not hypo-allergenic, there is still dander, and I believe someone else said that a lot of allergies come from saliva also. A smaller dog that dosen't shed might work better, especially if you can't handle the grooming requirements of a poodle. Like other people said, schnauzers are a good choice, they have miniature, standard, and giant schnauzers. And then there are the hairless breeds...the Chinese Crested, American Hairless, among a few. (One of my favorite breeds is the American Hairless). Were you specifically looking for a big dog though?

And a beagle will shed just as much as a papillon will...just different types of fur.Thanks:) we were looking into a larger dog my friends dog had puppies and few years ago schazers:) they are great dogs but her dogs go after squrrels and chipmunks and I really dont want a hairless because if my cat sctracthes it it might be a little worse than a dog with alot of hair but i LOVE all dogs :)

Pawsitive Thinking
11-09-2005, 06:59 AM
From what I can remember of my Grandad's poodle, Kerry, she was forever being clipped. Our Patterdale Terrier doesn't shed much ;)

Pam
11-09-2005, 07:00 AM

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!! I am 100% against this kind of breeding and it never ceases to amaze me what these breeders charge for these dogs. :mad: They are mixed breeds and can be found in abundance at any shelter. People need to be educated to stop buying *designer breeds.*

Suki Wingy
11-09-2005, 10:35 AM
you said it! :(

BitsyNaceyDog
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
My sister has very bad allergies, we had a yorkie when we were young and she did very well with him, they are another breed that are good for people with allergies. We bathed our yorkie weekly to keep the dander and allergens down. In addition to yorkies my sister always did well around poodles, maltese, schnauzers, bischons and other dogs with those hair types. My sister is now wants another dog and is hoping to get a giant schnauzer.

honor_fl
11-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Speaking as another poodle owner, and also a foster for rescued poodles, I wholeheartedly agree with Pam's assessment. We just fostered a standard poodle, and she was just a love. Even though she had been neglected, (not abused), she gave us her trust wholeheartedly and fit in great with our human and animal family. She loved our other dogs, and tried extremely hard to make friends with our cat (who wasn't having ANY part of it).

I will say that younger poodles can be VERY exciteable, and need a firm hand for training. Every poodle I've ever met has been extremely intelligent, but that doesn't mean they're easy to train. You'll need to make sure you know what you're doing, or go to a reputable training place.

As for the grooming, a quick brush every day keeps most of the mats out of their hair. I think most dogs have some kind of grooming issue.

Horse Lover
11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you everyone I never knew tons about golden doodles but i do believe your right they shouldnt be as expensive as a pure dog or something some people go really high! :eek:

Flatcoatluver
11-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Thank you everyone I never knew tons about golden doodles but i do believe your right they shouldnt be as expensive as a pure dog or something some people go really high! :eek:
they shouldn't even be bred!! 10,000 dogs get euthenized every year!!!! Another breed that dosen't casue allerge problems is a sheltie.

king2005
11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
I personally like the Goldendoodles. We have a couple at my kennel & dang their fur is fluffy & fine like a poodles fur, but it doesn't keep growing & it doesn't shed. The Goldendoodle group member I met & got free things from, said their groups only breed these goldendoodles & not the sheding ones. Any one thats not good, is fixed & found a good home & goes with a contract that if its no longer wanted they must return the dog & it'll be rehomed by the group.

At our kennel we get sheding goldendoodles & we mark that on their info sheet to let the buyer know. We keep really good records, even if one puppy bites or attacks another. The buyer is given the sheet & decied if they want the puppy or not.

If you go to a shelter, you could probbly find one. Take a brush & if you brush out alot of fur, it'll shed lots.. but if you hardly get anything if anything on the brush, it shouldn't shed.

dab_20
11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
well i have a toy poodle and they are wonderful! they have the same temperment as the standered. the miniature is a little more hyper. VERY smart, easy to train, affectionate, friendly torwards strangers, and cute!! this is a great dog.

i recommend this breed, as long as you have enough time to groom it. you can go to the local humane society, or look on petfinder.com if you would like to rescue a dog. Good Luck!! :D

flatcoatluver, i have allergies to shelties, so it depends on the person. but they shed alot!

Vette
11-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Take a brush & if you brush out alot of fur, it'll shed lots.. but if you hardly get anything if anything on the brush, it shouldn't shed.
Um.. my dog doesnt free shed at all. and a lot comes out in the brush.. so i woudlnt recomend that.

on the other hand.. pure bred Poodles never shed. it only comes out in the brush.. or when you cut it off. so if you want to be sure of a dog that doesnt shed.. then get a purbred Poodle then. ;)

dab_20
11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
yep. my dog is 3/4 toy poodle and she only sheds when i brush her.

Flatcoatluver
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
flatcoatluver, i have allergies to shelties, so it depends on the person. but they shed alot!
my aunt is allergic to dogs, but sheltie are fine with her

dab_20
11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
hmm, well if she/he wanted a sheltie, maybe she/he could go to someone's house that has a sheltie and see if they are allergic?

Horse Lover
11-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I personally like the Goldendoodles. We have a couple at my kennel & dang their fur is fluffy & fine like a poodles fur, but it doesn't keep growing & it doesn't shed. The Goldendoodle group member I met & got free things from, said their groups only breed these goldendoodles & not the sheding ones. Any one thats not good, is fixed & found a good home & goes with a contract that if its no longer wanted they must return the dog & it'll be rehomed by the group.

At our kennel we get sheding goldendoodles & we mark that on their info sheet to let the buyer know. We keep really good records, even if one puppy bites or attacks another. The buyer is given the sheet & decied if they want the puppy or not.

If you go to a shelter, you could probbly find one. Take a brush & if you brush out alot of fur, it'll shed lots.. but if you hardly get anything if anything on the brush, it shouldn't shed.
I really love every breed too :) just what people do to sell them(very high $$)

king2005
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Our kennel sells ALL dogs at a high price. But there is a reason.

1. You have to have $$ to buy the dog, so chances are you'll have enough to care for it.

2. Keeps stupid kids from buying them.

3. Keeps Puppy Millers away.

4. ALL puppies come with a 2000.00 insurance up to 2 years.

5. All puppies are treated with meds the moment they set paw inside our store, to prevent/treat nasty things. Also many dogs go to the vets for surgery if they have a problem. A Cocker had a cherry eye & he was sent to the vets & now hes pretty again. Also there are a LOT of Kennel staff & I'm not cheap & my pay is going up several dollars in a couple months.

6. The puppies have TONES of blankets, expensive toys, & treats, gosh SOOO MANY TREATS!!! Oh & the puppies are fed a good quality food, not cheap junk.

7. A vet comes every Thur & checks the knees, jaws, eyes, ears, privates & lungs. If a puppy has any problem its recorded on its papers (thats given to the buyer-new mommy or daddy).

Our registered puppies start at a min of 2200.00, our English Bulldog is from Germany & shes 5000.00 & the registration switch is free (switching it from German to CKC).

Our special mutts start at 1500.00, but they get the same treatments as the 5000.00 dogs. If we see good owners who really love the special mutts, we do lower the price for them by 500.00-600.00. Its easy to spot the true animal lovers, they usually are buying a 2ed dog & they show up several times to meet the dog & bring their dog in.

We also reject a lot of people who want to buy a dog.. if they seem snooty or someone in the family seems like they might hurt the dog from their temperment, we say the dog is on hold due to illness & its unsellable.

I love dogs & I'm big on the care (I've worked for the OSPCA before) & thats why I'm proud to work there. Its different from other pet stores & it shows in our puppies & staff.

wolfie
11-13-2005, 09:32 AM
There are lots of poodles and poodle mixes on petfinder. Check in the petfinder classifieds too - that's where people who have to get rid of their dog, but don't want to bring it to a shelter, can post their dogs for adoption.
http://www.petfinder.com/
Have whoever in your house is allergic to dogs spend time with your future dog before taking it home. Good luck!

1. You have to have $$ to buy the dog, so chances are you'll have enough to care for it.

There are people who spend lots of money on a dog, and then don't give it proper care or take it to the vet. And there are people who get a dog free from the pound, and give it all the care it needs, and so much more. Unless you can offer proof/statistics, I don't believe that people who spend lots of money purchasing a pet take better care of him/her than people who got their pet for free.

poofy
11-13-2005, 12:28 PM
There are people who spend lots of money on a dog, and then don't give it proper care or take it to the vet. And there are people who get a dog free from the pound, and give it all the care it needs, and so much more. Unless you can offer proof/statistics, I don't believe that people who spend lots of money purchasing a pet take better care of him/her than people who got their pet for free.
This is the thing, lots of people that spen a lot of money on animals or what ever it dont mean any more than a person that spends less..I have found the people love what they get are the only ones that take care of it, for rich or for poor..I havent a lot of money..I spent more on Yollie than I ever thought I would..lol..and I dont care one less bit for sammyj because he cost less much less, hes jsut as important and I love him just as much..like I said I dont have money..but my dogs see the vet eat good food and are very well taken care of..its the people that make the differnce not the money.. :D

Giselle
11-13-2005, 02:05 PM

2. Keeps stupid kids from buying them.

3. Keeps Puppy Millers away.

4. ALL puppies come with a 2000.00 insurance up to 2 years.

5. All puppies are treated with meds the moment they set paw inside our store, to prevent/treat nasty things. Also many dogs go to the vets for surgery if they have a problem. A Cocker had a cherry eye & he was sent to the vets & now hes pretty again. Also there are a LOT of Kennel staff & I'm not cheap & my pay is going up several dollars in a couple months.

6. The puppies have TONES of blankets, expensive toys, & treats, gosh SOOO MANY TREATS!!! Oh & the puppies are fed a good quality food, not cheap junk.

7. A vet comes every Thur & checks the knees, jaws, eyes, ears, privates & lungs. If a puppy has any problem its recorded on its papers (thats given to the buyer-new mommy or daddy).

Our registered puppies start at a min of 2200.00, our English Bulldog is from Germany & shes 5000.00 & the registration switch is free (switching it from German to CKC).

Our special mutts start at 1500.00, but they get the same treatments as the 5000.00 dogs. If we see good owners who really love the special mutts, we do lower the price for them by 500.00-600.00. Its easy to spot the true animal lovers, they usually are buying a 2ed dog & they show up several times to meet the dog & bring their dog in.

We also reject a lot of people who want to buy a dog.. if they seem snooty or someone in the family seems like they might hurt the dog from their temperment, we say the dog is on hold due to illness & its unsellable.

I love dogs & I'm big on the care (I've worked for the OSPCA before) & thats why I'm proud to work there. Its different from other pet stores & it shows in our puppies & staff.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. You're saying asking for a couple thousand dollars per dog keeps puppy millers at bay? Do you even know where you acquire your dogs for your pet store? Puppy Millers and BYBs! This whole pet store puppies thing is an atrocity, imo. You don't even offer a lifetime warranty, which is what ALL reputable breeders provide. The reason you people provide a shorter length warranty is because congenital defects can pop up later in life, like debilitating hip dysplasia, PRA, and various liver and kidney problems. However, you can just as easily point the finger back at the breeder and say "Nope. Our warranty does not cover past 2 years, and, besides, these are congenital defects. We have no control over the puppy quality because that is the breeder's problem". I can't believe you could possibly be happy with the pet store you're working for. ANY pet store that sells puppies or kittens deserves to be boycotted and I'm sure plenty of other posters will agree with me. There are only two places one should acquire their dog: some type of shelter or rescue and/or a reputable breeder.

Pet stores tout their dogs are "special mutts" or "rare" or come from "champion bloodlines". Well, here's this: Where are the OFA certifications? Did your special Bulldog from Germany come from OFA'd and CERF'd parents (both of which are CRUCIAL tests for Bulldogs in particular)? No? Well, then, how can you assure the prospective owners that there will be a lesser risk of eye, hip, and knee problems? And what makes a mutt "special"? Just because a dog has a unique feature, like a spot on their paw, does NOT make them any more special than another dog. Terms like "special mutts", "rare teacup toys", "imperial", etc. are simply selling gimmicks to deceive the public into digging deeper into their wallets. Do you see where I'm going? All these "doodles" and "special mutts" and "uggles" are simply ways to bring in the money!!! If your pet store cared so much about the quality of the puppies and their future homes, they would not base so much of their owner-criterion on money and how many dogs they have. I could easily provide a MUCH better home for a dog than, say, Paris Hilton, but your pet store could just as easily reject my application for a dog because, I'm sorry, but I'm not loaded with wads of cash lying around my house. However, I have much more knowledge about dogs than Paris Hilton surely does. Yet, your store would reject me because I have no money? Since when was money an objective in a breeding program? Never. Money and profits should have no place at all in somebody's breeding program. I'm just disgusted with this all :(

dab_20
11-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I think it is ridiculous that a shelter and especially a pet store would have their puppies for thousands of dollars. Maybe that's why not alot of people go to shelters anymore!! The prices get higher and higher. I know they may be worth that much, but I thought they actually wanted people to rescue dogs!! You could get a perfectly healthy and well taken care of dog cheaper in the newpaper than some shelters these days. Not saying it's the right thing to buy the dog in the newspaper, but it's what most people would do. My humane society sells all their dogs for 55 dollars. And they check up on the owners regularly.

And most puppies in petstores are from puppy mills. So people who are buying them are paying like a thousand dollars for a dog that most likely some day will have behavoural (sp?) problems. (not counting shelter dogs that go to like petsmart to be adopted)

Pam
11-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Thank you for that Giselle! I agree 100%. When I see the prices in pet stores, in the mall for example, I am floored at what they are asking. Of course they have to pay the puppy mill breeder and then take a cut for themselves. It is all about dollars and unfortunately the health and well being of these dogs is rarely if ever considered. *Doodle dogs* or whatever ends in oodle these days are a pet peeve with me big time. If everyone is so doodle crazy why not just adopt a poodle or whatever the "d" part of a doodle is.....who knows these days because so many people are breeding poodles with any breed. :mad: :( Let the people who know the breed and are trying to better the breed do the breeding. Otherwise head to the nearest shelter. If everyone did this, soon there would be no millers in business.

dab_20
11-13-2005, 03:24 PM
i agree!

king2005
11-13-2005, 07:19 PM
The bulldog has all that testing, Shes certifyed & everything (I don't know them all by heart, but she has several pages of stuff.

I know for fact that our dogs don't come from puppy mills or BYB. Ontario has rules for the certificate to be a breeder & thats where all our pups come from, which is only 6 breeders & NO outsiders.

Our store knows the breeders well. If anyone wanted to know about the parents, all they have to do is ask & we would contact our puppy picker upper lady & get the info. She meets all the parents & checks out the breeders kennels.

! lady was in a couple days ago, she said she wanted the German Shepard to breed with her friends dog.. Guess who is NEVER allowed to buy one of our puppies? her. We frown BIG TIME on people who are going to use the puppies for breeding or not getting them fixed.

As a pet store I think we do a really good job. I have yet to see a better pet store. Also the OSPCA checks on us ALL the time & we pass with flying colours.

Any puppy that gets checked by the vets & has a MAJOR health issue that can never be fixed (the hip problem), they are PTS, its not right to sell a pet that will suffer like that & end up being loved & then dying on them far too young.

A bulldog that was sold, had become very ill, a couple weeks later. Our store took the puppy back right away & is forking ALL the medical bills & not putting it towards the insurance.

There is a Yorkie pup that refuses to eat (hes just scared, vet gave him a clean bill of health). Right now, him & his sister are spending nights at an employees house , well college dorm & being fed every couple of hours & getting lots of cuddles & hugs.

I had all they larger hyper pups out running around while I worked (not easy when thay are chewing on my shoe laces hehehe). When the tiny pups are out they get little sweaters to wear so they don't get cold (the kennels are nice, but we keep the backroom cool, so we don't sweat too much while dealing with hot water & scrubbing.).

I know lots of pet stores are bad, but ours is far different. We TRY to do are best & breed healthy pups, birds, rodents & fish. All kittens are drop offs.

Jessika
11-13-2005, 07:21 PM
! lady was in a couple days ago, she said she wanted the German Shepard to breed with her friends dog.. Guess who is NEVER allowed to buy one of our puppies? her. We frown BIG TIME on people who are going to use the puppies for breeding or not getting them fixed.

Then why not fix them as they come into the kennel and before they're adopted out?? If you charge that much per animal I'm sure you can get them all fixed?

dab_20
11-13-2005, 07:22 PM
yep, thats pretty much the only way you can be SURE they are fixed.

king2005
11-13-2005, 07:30 PM
They are a bit young for that. ALL the pups are 3 months old when we get them. Some haven't even dropped yet. I know I asked many years ago & my shelter wasn't allowed to do it against the owners will, so I'm pretty sure there is a stupid law out there.

Giselle
11-13-2005, 09:33 PM
See, I'm particularly biased against pet stores and am dealing with my own BYB-dog, so I find it extremely difficult to see the sunny side of pet stores. I am VEHEMENTLY against stores that sell animals of any kind. Again, it is my personal belief that the only place to acquire any domestic animal is from 1) a shelter or a form of rescue and 2) a reputable breeder. No other source is acceptable.

As for the bulldog, you claim she is tested... I'm sorry, but you must be confused. You can't possibly claim she is OFA'd because she's too young for it. Her growth plates are still forming and she's much too young to have had her x-rays sent in. How could she possibly be OFA'd? Anyways, if you still claim her to be OFA'd, could you please PM her numbers to me? My question was: is her sire and dam OFA'd and CERF'd. Better yet, can you please PM me her mother and father's numbers? :) I'm curious now. Have her parents been tested for thyroid? What about your plethora of GSD puppies? Have they been tested for Von Willebrands? I'm sure you'd be horrified to know that Standard and Miniature Poodles are susceptible to this canine hemophilia as well. If you claim your breeders to be responsible and not BYBs, I'm curious if they test their Poodles. I'm *especially* curious if your designer mix breeders test their dogs because I, for one, know many of these people do not test their breeding stock, much less provide adequate veterinary care.

I also find it slightly difficult to believe that Ontario has no BYBs. BYBs are tricky people because there is no single definition that fits them all. Some are simply people who believe it would be nice to bring in a little extra profit through breeding Fifi and Fido. But how could these same people possibly be regulated? They don't believe they're doing anything wrong, and in a legal sense, they are completely innocent. BYBs are simply people who breed because they love their dogs and want to make some money (or love money and want to make some puppies ;)), but they see nothing wrong with what they're doing. Chances are they do not test for hip dysplasia, patella luxation, thyroid problems, von Willebrands, PRA, etc. because doing so would cut into their profits and the suckers who buy their puppies don't even know about these health maladies! I'm sure there are plenty of sick puppies who die or get returned back to your store, and I'm sure there are plenty more healthy puppies who leave your store. But how can you possibly assure the prospective homes that these healthy puppies will continue to remain healthy? How can you assure their dogs will not develop hip dysplasia. Sure, you may cull the puppies who develop HD as young pups, but what can you say for the aging, dysplastic GSD who you sold 6 years old? By definition, the GSD is no longer under the warranty. Yet, the HD was due mainly due to genetics. What kind of back up do you offer then?

And when we talk about the grand scheme of things, when these sick puppies develop congenital defects, do you even care to notify the original breeder whose responsibility it is to prevent and protect these problems? If not, how can you sit there with the knowledge that there is a breeder out there churning out hundreds of puppies each year, possibly doomed to a lifetime of health maladies that cause them pain, but not death?

Jessika
11-13-2005, 09:53 PM
They are a bit young for that. ALL the pups are 3 months old when we get them. Some haven't even dropped yet. I know I asked many years ago & my shelter wasn't allowed to do it against the owners will, so I'm pretty sure there is a stupid law out there.

Charlie's testicles NEVER dropped and he was still able to be fixed.

Vette
11-14-2005, 03:36 AM

Im with Wolfie...
a person my mom used to work with,, spent $8.56 on a Pug/Beagle mix(got it out of a pet store) and just leaves it in a pen in their back yard 24/7. and as far as i know of,, hasnt been to the vet since they got her. and shes not spayed either.

people do spend lots of money on dogs.. and then dont give a sh*t from there after the newness wares off.

king2005
11-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Before there is any blood. I'll just drop it.. its not worth my time.

Jessika
11-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Before there is any blood. I'll just drop it.. its not worth my time.

I do apologize as I'm honestly not trying to start anything, I'm just confused. Because I hear from everyone that puppies need to be five or six months before being fixed yet you can adopt a 10 - 12 week old puppy from the shelter who is already fixed???

Flatcoatluver
11-14-2005, 06:02 PM
I do apologize as I'm honestly not trying to start anything, I'm just confused. Because I hear from everyone that puppies need to be five or six months before being fixed yet you can adopt a 10 - 12 week old puppy from the shelter who is already fixed???
yeah almost every dog we have at our shelter at that age is fixed. But i'm not trying to start anything either but just saying our shelter does that too.

dab_20
11-15-2005, 03:48 PM
OK PEOPLE back to helping this person about poodles....

Majestic
11-15-2005, 04:50 PM
I got this info from some website:

for mini poodle:
-Is conveniently-sized, light and graceful, athletic and agile
-Has a curly coat that doesn't shed (one of the best breeds for allergy sufferers)
-Comes in a variety of colors
-Is lively and playful
-Is one of the brightest and most attentive of all breeds, so intuitive, and such a skilled reader of body language and expression, that he often appears telepathic
-Excels at obedience and agility competition
-Is usually polite with strangers and sociable with other animals
-A careful search to avoid all the highstrung, neurotic Poodles
-Timidity or skittishness when not socialized enough
-Emotional sensitivity to stress, tension, or loud voices
-Monthly clipping of the curly coat
-Barking
-Health problems

Standard poodle
-Is medium to large, combining sturdiness and athleticism with elegance and grace
-Moves with a light, graceful, springy gait
-Has a curly coat that doesn't shed (one of the best breeds for allergy sufferers)
-Is lively and playful
-Is one of the brightest and most attentive of all breeds, so intuitive, and such a skilled reader of body language and expression, that he often appears telepathic
-Excels at obedience and agility competition
-Is usually polite with strangers and sociable with other animals
-A careful search to avoid all the highstrung, neurotic Poodles
-Vigorous exercise requirements
-Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
-Destructiveness when bored or not exercised enough or left alone too much
-Skittishness or suspiciousness in some lines, or when not socialized enough
-Emotional sensitivity to stress, tension, or loud voices
-Monthly clipping of the curly coat
-Barking
-Lots of serious health problems

Goodluck

dab_20
11-15-2005, 06:40 PM
its true poodles appear to be telepathic. when i play with molli, everyonce in awhile i will take the toy and tell her to sit. well i will take it and right before i say sit, she sits. sometimes i tell her to speak, and right before i say it she will bark. what smart little psychics (sp?) they are!

Horse Lover
11-17-2005, 06:09 AM
I was wondering also :) I've heard from T.V. that poodles are least seen in the vet office (other than check-ups) I was wondering if it was true :confused: :confused:

Pam
11-17-2005, 07:05 AM
I was wondering also :) I've heard from T.V. that poodles are least seen in the vet office (other than check-ups) I was wondering if it was true :confused: :confused:

Most of the things that send them there are from poor breeding. (i.e., in the case of the little ones, usually toys, it may be luxating patellas, or knee caps). Also tartar build-up and tooth loss is a problem with the smaller ones. The toys, however, do live quite long lives. My little Pumpkin made it to 17. :) The scariest health problem for the standards is the risk of bloat. I lost one due to bloat and always have a little fear about it in the back of my mind with Bella.

dab_20
11-17-2005, 07:49 AM
well it's sad if that is true. they are a very common breed. i take my poodle to the vet. its true, toys and minis have tartar problems. molli had severe tartar when she was only 11 months old, so i brush her teeth daily and give her a greenie.

and her puppy teeth hasn't fallen out yet, (she's over a year) so she has to get them pulled the same time as her spay.

Horse Lover
11-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Oh! :) Thanks people i just heard that comment from tv so i decided to ask if it was true.. it all depends on breeder right.. ;)

Vette
11-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Yeah pretty much depends on the dogs genitics,, and the dog in general.

Kirby almost died on me a few years back. he had the dog version of AIDS. not sure how got it.. whether he ate something to make his emmue system to go haywire or what.. but its when their body stops making enough red blood cells. and the become very very weak. and his gums were pasty white.

and he was put on storid pills to boost his emmue system. and was on them for quite a while. at least 2 or 3 months. and we had to slowy take him back off them. and there was no gurantee that the pills would correct the problem. there was a 50/50 % chance that he could revert back stage one.. and be on steroids for the rest of his life.. or come through all the way and not have to be on any medications

but i also think he helped to heal himself by having a strong will to live.
he was so very close to dieing.. all he had to do was give up

dab_20
11-23-2005, 07:49 AM
thats sad! for such a little dog, what a fighter!