PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding job interviews...

CalliesMom
11-08-2005, 07:33 PM
We have lived in Raleigh, NC for three months now and my husband hasn't been real successful in finding any permanent work. He graduated in May from Auburn with his BS in Finance, but everything he is applying for requires more experience than what he has.

He interviewed with a company last Tuesday and they said they were real impressed with him, he interviewed well, and that they would like to hire him but they had to interview four other people for the position. How long does it generally take for a company to get back to you if you got the position or not? It's already been a week and now I'm beginning to worry....

He applied for temporary work and started yesterday at a company. If the first job doesn't work out, he's hoping this company would hire him permanently. There is no guarantee that they will hire him, but everything they have said to him the past two days has been very positive.

Please keep your fingers crossed that he gets something permanetly! We are eating away at our savings and it's started to really stress me out...Thanks!

AbbyMom
11-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't think a week since his interview is very long at all. These days companies are really really picky about who they hire. They have lots to choose from and they don't like to fire people.

So, they could still be arranging more interviews. They could be waiting for someone to come back from vacation so they can discuss the candidates. It goes on and on.

Unfortunately, many companies simply do not get back to candidates. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true.

But...he can always send an e-mail thanking them for their time and asking the status. He does deserve that courtesy and many people will hit that Reply button and give him an answer.

I wish your hubby luck. This is difficult, I know. But it will work out. If not this company, then another. You'll see! :)

Corinna
11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Sending prayers for patience for you. As Abby mom says a week is really not long. I would just stop in and remind them who I am and check in on how the process is going?Leave a resume with that date to remind them your out there.

moosmom
11-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Callies Mom,

It's been my experience that alot of companies don't send out rejection letters anymore. Whenever I interview with someone, I always send a thank you note to let them know how much I appreciated them taking the time to speak with me about the position. That's something I've learned over the years. Job hunting is NOT fun. As my brother put it so well, "Looking for a full-time job IS a full-time job." He is so right (I'd never tell HIM that though) And the competition is fierce. Especially if you're an older person and you've got alot of young kids (no offense to anyone here) also vying for the same position. Some companies look for older people because they believe they are more experienced and dedicated. Whereas they look at younger people as flighty, and more interested in partying and going to the beach rather than establishing a lifelong career. Sad but true.

I wish your husband a lot of luck in his job search. There's something out there waiting for him.

Cataholic
11-09-2005, 08:59 AM
A week is nothing. Be patient. BUT, I would encourage him to send a note, an email (is that appropriate in all fields today?), something- reminding them of his interest.

I wouldn't stop in...too 'in your faceish'.

Samantha Puppy
11-09-2005, 09:20 AM
A week is nothing. Be patient. BUT, I would encourage him to send a note, an email (is that appropriate in all fields today?), something- reminding them of his interest.

I wouldn't stop in...too 'in your faceish'.
I agree with Joh.

An e-mail is fine, if your husband has the exact e-mail address of the people with whom he interviewed. Otherwise, writing out a note and mailing it would be best.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-09-2005, 09:32 AM
A short letter thanking them for their time and reiterating his interest in the post won't do any harm. Good luck!

CalliesMom
11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
He sent them a thank you email the day after he interviewed. I think he is going to email them again on Friday and let them know he is still interested in the position. It will just be short of two weeks at that time...

The temporary position he is currently doing is with a major manufacturing company located throughout the United States. We eventually want to move back to California when I am done here and it would be nice if he could just transfer within the company.