PDA

View Full Version : Too Strict

CharChamp
10-30-2000, 05:07 PM
I have a little Yorkie who is almost a year old. I just adore him and will admit to spoiling him. My husband bought him for me and we trained him together.

While the dog does not have many accidents he still has some. I believe these "accidents" are actually submissive peeing out of fear and intimidation from my husband. My husband believes that the dog needs to know who the boss is and that is ok to spank a dog. He also does not understand why the dog will not always come to him when called. I have tried to explain to him repeatedly that the dog does not come because he is afraid of him because he is to strict and harsh.

Do you think that the dog does not always come when called because he is afraid. If so, how can I get my husband to understand that his training methods are actually causing more harm than good?

KYS
10-30-2000, 05:29 PM
Do you think that the dog does not always come when called because he is afraid.>>>>

Possibly.
When your husband calls his dog, and he comes to your husband, he should
NEVER punish the dog.
Have your husband use a toy or a favorite
treat for awhile when he calls the dog over. Reward him for coming by with
praise, playing, or treats etc.
Spanking a dog is NOT necessary and
can actually do more harm.
Usually a rough sounding voice "NO" or
Leave it" etc.
is enough punishement for most dogs.

At one year old it is quit possible
he still could be submissive peeing.
For the first 2 years of our Terriers life she would pee when ever she would greet us,
strangers or the other dogs. (she has never been hit).
As she matured she grew out of it, but will
still submissive pee to our Alpha dog.

Try Training with positive methods. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

carrie
10-30-2000, 05:53 PM
Hi,
It is vitally important to have the respect of your dog. By hitting him your husband has no chance what so ever of gaining any respect at all. Unless it is an incredibly stupid dog it will avoid contact with your husband whenever it can. As soon as he makes a demand that he thinks the dog should obey he is instantly sending a message to the dog that says, "I'm talking like this and looking at you and that means I'm going to hurt you." Your husband has trained the dog to avoid him. If he persists in this method the dog will try harder and harder to avoid contact with him and many small dogs resort to fear biting to avoid the pain of contact with the human hand. We have all the see the snarling little yorkies snapping at anyone that tries to touch them.
Your husband could turn this little dog around in a day. But he needs training first! A dog can not obey a command that it does not understand. Your dog has been taught that "Come" means that it is going to be hit. What I am saying is that your poor little chap has no idea what your husband expects of him and no idea why this enormous being is bullying him for no reason. Put in that situation I would pee myself on a regular basis too!
Training a dog MUST start with positive reinforcement only! You can only praise and reward the dog when it does something right and never punish it in ANY way when it makes a mistake. This is the only way for the dog to learn what you want it to do! Happy excited voices, crouching down and offering tasty morsels will teach the dog that when your husband says, "Come" it is a wise and rewarding experience to go to him. This must happen over and over and over, always a good move to go to the big man when he says,"come". Only when your dog has this concept ingrained in his head is it even possible to show displeasure when he fails to obey and expect the dog to understand the reason for it. To show displeasure should never, NEVER, mean hitting the dog. It doesn't help anyone and will destroy any respect the dog has built for you. Show your displeasure by saying the dogs name in a very stern voice, not loud, stern. As soon as he looks at you revert to the happy voice and repeat the command. The trick is to make yourself more interesting, welcoming and more pleasurable than anything else the dog may want to do. Never lose your temper, never give in once a command has been given and never hit a dog. If your husband cannot change his attitude to the dog then the only fair thing to do is to find a dog friendly home for your dog or a dog free home for your husband. He is abusing this animal and it must stop. Ignorance of training principles is no excuse for a grown man who is abusing a Yorkshire Terrier. The humans in the house should be the top dogs and that means fair and consistent handling of a dog that knows the rules. Rehoming your dog will free it from the constant anxiety, confusion,abuse and fear it is living with at the moment. Thank God he didn't get you a Rottie or Dobbie with the mental strength to stand up for itself!

dogncatluvr
10-30-2000, 07:15 PM
Amen Carrie! Agree with you 100%.

tatsxxx11
10-31-2000, 05:18 AM
Ditto!!! A thousand times. Please, please, please do not EVER hit your dog. I'm sure if you follow Carrie's advice your dog will become a happy, confident little fellow that you and your husband can both love and enjoy. Does your husband have any experience with dogs, ever own one before?? Dogs can be exasperating if you are not familiar with their behavioral traits/reactions. Please seek the proper training, as Carrie says, for your husband as well as your pooch.

CharChamp
10-31-2000, 09:52 AM
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I agree with you all.

Ryan
11-04-2000, 08:24 PM
KYS and Carrie,
excellent advise.

IF I may make one suggestion.
A dogs name should be used to get
their attention not for punishement.
So if you are going to repremand the dog,
try to use another word such as
KYS suggested, such as "leave it" or any
word you prefer.
It's hard to remember this when you
repremanding, but this helps the dog
associate his name with pleasure and
not punishment.
Other than that you guys covered everything.

karen israel
11-06-2000, 10:53 AM
Ryan.. Thanks for the reminder to remind myself not to use Cody's name when I am reprimanding him! I often catch myself afterwards, I do know you shouldn't do it. It just comes out of my mouth automatically. I will remember to think next time!

carrie
11-06-2000, 11:44 AM
Sorry to disagree but I have never found it to have an adverse effect on any dog. It is the best way to get any dogs attention and it is the way it is said, rather than the word that conveys your reaction to the dog. You could use the word "water" to tell the dog you were happy or displeased and it wouldn't matter to the dog. Next time you praise your dog say, "Bad dog," in a loving and happy way and the dog will be just as happy with the praise.The only way your dog will associate it's name with scolding is if that is the only context you ever use it's name in. Reading about the people and pets here, I know that isn't true!

[This message has been edited by carrie (edited November 06, 2000).]