PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on animal care help?

lv4dogs
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
My friend lost her husband recently (well about 7-8 months ago) and is struggling to stay on her feet while caring for her 2 kids & dog.

Her dog Brutus (a rescued american bulldog, a sweetie pie) has extremely bad allergies and needs to be on a special food and receive medication. My friend can afford one or the other but not both. But without one the other doesn't work.
I have offered to buy her some food but I can't afford to buy it all the time. Is there anywhere she can go or somewhere I can look into to find her some help?

She has tried her vet & they did help. They gave her food for 2 months & 4 months of medication. But thats all they can do. She went to her church and they helped her out with one month of food & medication. Now she can't find anyone to help.
She's feeding her dog whatever is on sale, it's Alpo right now, as that is all she can afford right now. Things ARE improving for her just very slowly.
Anyways I went to visit last night & I couldn't believe my eyes. Poor Brutus is loosing his hair, is all red & itchy & scabby. He's still a big happy goof ball but he's got to be very uncomfortable.

Does anyone know of any organization or the like that will help? Or some fund raiser that I can do legally to help her out? I've never set up & hosted a fund raiser before. Anything. She and the dog both deserve this.

areias
11-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Hmm, that's a tough situation. Can she talk to the food company, and perhaps have the dog become a "spokesdog", in exchange for food? Or a local humane society might be able to sponsor the dog.

This might sound horrible, but was the husband in any associations, or have a good repetoire (sp?) with his job? Would they sponsor the dog in his memory?

Is there anything they can live without, to make sacrifices? Perhaps cutting off cable, or relying on just cell phones or just a house, not both? They could use that money towards the dog bills.

:( That's so hard, I feel sorry for her.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Hmm, that's a tough situation. Can she talk to the food company, and perhaps have the dog become a "spokesdog", in exchange for food? Or a local humane society might be able to sponsor the dog.

This might sound horrible, but was the husband in any associations, or have a good repetoire (sp?) with his job? Would they sponsor the dog in his memory?

Is there anything they can live without, to make sacrifices? Perhaps cutting off cable, or relying on just cell phones or just a house, not both? They could use that money towards the dog bills.

:( That's so hard, I feel sorry for her.

I know that her husbands work paid off her house morgatge so I don't dare ask her if they will cover the dogs expenses too. And she's not one who asks for help so I don't think she'd ask them anyways.

Thanks to your reply I talked to a few dog food companies this morning (he can be on 2-3 food brands and about 4-5 formulas as far as I know) but I did speak with the ones I know of (nutro, IVD & science diet). IVD & Science Diet wouldn't do anything to help. Nutro is sending me a coupon booklet though which will help me out a lot.

And I called a couple local shelters... they were pretty rude. :( They won't help unless they turn the dog over to them. Which is what they suggested.

Your reply got me thinking so I called our local petco & a local pet store. Petco wouldn't do anything at all. The pet store, country max, put me on a list, if they happen to get an opened bag of food or an out of date food they will call me & offer it to me for $5, no matter what size or brand. I'm thinking about going there & slicing a bag of food, or 2 or 3. lol But I won't. Country Max is a great store, its my 1st choice & I've been going there for years & years but I'm not counting on them checking the list. Its a busy place & they don't always remember things.

She already cut her cable down to a minimum. She has the all in one plan, phone, cable & internet. Now she's paying a lot less for this plan than having them seperate. She has kids & she also does some work from home so she can't get rid of anything else. They never had a cell phone. She sold her husbands car. She's already at the bare minimum. This is how she found some extra money to cover meds or food, one or the other.

They already gave their cat to a new home and are completely heartbroken. And Brutus is a family dog but one that the father brought home for a surprise so they really don't want to get rid of him. After all he was a "daddy's" boy.

Gosh this is so hard. I feel so bad for them.

beeniesmom
11-10-2005, 12:57 PM
:(

Has she requested for a free Nutro coupon:

http://www.nutroproducts.com/yourfamily/

It's for a free 5 lb. bag.

Kfamr posted about it a while back.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 12:59 PM

Has she requested for a free Nutro coupon:

http://www.nutroproducts.com/yourfamily/

It's for a free 5 lb. bag.

Kfamr posted about it a while back.

Actually Nutro is sending me one for her, along with a coupon booklet. Anything helps but that 5lb bag will only last a few days or so. He's a big american bulldog, he's taller than my guys & weighs about 100lbs.

beeniesmom
11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
oh
I feel so bad for them.
Has PT ever done a fund raiser?
If everyone donated 1$, it probably would make a difference... at least for a few months, so she could get on her feet again.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Has she checked online for the medications? I've discovered that quite often meds prescribed by the vet can be found much cheaper online. If the online company needs a prescription, it sounds like her vet is willing to work with her to get her one....

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Has she checked online for the medications? I've discovered that quite often meds prescribed by the vet can be found much cheaper online. If the online company needs a prescription, it sounds like her vet is willing to work with her to get her one....

I'll ask her about that tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for suggesting that.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 01:27 PM
oh
I feel so bad for them.
Has PT ever done a fund raiser?
If everyone donated 1$, it probably would make a difference... at least for a few months, so she could get on her feet again.

I think I've heard of it being done but I'm not sure. I don't know how that would work.
It's a tough time too with the holidays coming up I don't know how many would even be able to donate anything.

beeniesmom
11-10-2005, 01:35 PM
ONE DOLLAR!
I will be the first.
C'mon people. This is to help some people in difficulty.
I'll send it to you Sue.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 01:56 PM
ONE DOLLAR!
I will be the first.
C'mon people. This is to help some people in difficulty.
I'll send it to you Sue.

ok, I guess this is how you start a PT fundraiser. lol :p

If anyone else is interested in donating but is unsure about the usage of the money or whatever I can check with the pet store & see if they can do some sort of account there. That way people can donate directly to them. I'm not sure but I think they could do something like that.
I could probably do it with their vet too but the food there is more expensive. Nutro's the cheapest out of the brnads he can eat, plus I'm getting coupons for it so that is what I have been buying him.

Or maybe there is a company online that will do it? Then we'd have to pay shipping???? But they can send it right to her.

Should I open up a new post about this?

I'll get some pictures of the boy by the early part of next week.

beeniesmom
11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
I think you should do a new post about it.
I have no trust issues so I will send my donation directly to you.
It's not much (5$) but I am sure that with the help of others it will add up in a hurry.

Jadapit
11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
I would donate some!! Poor lady. I know what its like to have money problems. Let me know how and where I should send the money. :)

Ginger's Mom
11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
I have never sent away for that free bag of Nutro. I would be happy to do that and then just send the coupon to you or her when I get it. Maybe if everyone who has not sent away for it for their own dog for one reason or another can do it now for Brutus, that may keep him at least help with keeping him fed for a while. I will fill out whatever I need to do tonight.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I'll do a new post about it.

lv4dogs
11-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I have never sent away for that free bag of Nutro. I would be happy to do that and then just send the coupon to you or her when I get it. Maybe if everyone who has not sent away for it for their own dog for one reason or another can do it now for Brutus, that may keep him at least help with keeping him fed for a while. I will fill out whatever I need to do tonight.

That would be great! I'll include that idea in my new post as well.

Vela
11-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Well I'm new here and don't know anyone but I am willing to sign up for the food and coupons and mail it to you when I get it along with some $$ to help. PM me with your address and I will send it to you.