PDA

View Full Version : Sundin's first day...

Glacier
11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Sundin has had a very tiring first full day here. He should sleep well tonight. This is what he's done all day!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/sunfirstday.jpg
Run, run, run in circles. He won't let me get any closer than about 10 feet. No way is he letting me touch him, no even for stinky treats that no dog ever refuses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/snurun.jpg
"Nope, no way, lady. I don't know you, I don't like you, I ain't coming near you."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/sunrun.jpg
Yup, he should be good and tired soon! He did let me get closer as the day went on, but no where near close enough to touch him. He is going to be a tough one to get through to. I probably should have put him on a tie-out for a few days since that is what he's used to. I might still do that if I can ever catch him!

Pacer and Chum spent the day with him. He's in their pen actually. That went very well. Sundin didn't really interact with them much, but there was no snarling or growling either. Plus he's probably never seen a giant tennis ball so he probably thinks Chum is off his rocker!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/paceroo.jpg
Pacer seems happy enough with the new roomie.

Toby's my baby
11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Awww. poor guy! I hope he comes around!

anna_66
11-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Oh that second picture, poor guy. I'm sure he's having a time trying to understand what's going on. I hope you can get through to him sooner rather than later or he's going to be wore out every day! Good Luck!

And sweet Pacer, what a beautiful face! Make sure you let Sudin know that he's in a great home will ya;)

gemini9961
11-08-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm sure he'll be adjusted in no time once he realizes how nice it is there.

Daisy and Delilah
11-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Yea. Not a problem Glacier. As soon as Sundin realizes where he is, he'll be fine. That snow is so beautiful. I love it. Thanks for the great pictures!!
Sundin: That hairy eyeball in the second pic is priceless and the caption is so funny Glacier :D

I wonder what his name means......

elizabethann
11-08-2005, 07:28 AM
What a beautiful dog!! Perhaps he just needs some time getting to know you, the other dogs & his surroundings. Keep us posted, please.

ramanth
11-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Sundin is so beautiful.

Glacier, I can't find a previous thread about him. What's his backstory? Poor guy, you can just see the fear in his eyes. I hope he warms up to you soon.

Ginger's Mom
11-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Aww, poor baby. I am sure he will come around in a couple of days. Pacer will let him know what a good home it is. :)

lv4dogs
11-08-2005, 08:48 AM
He sure is a handsome fella. But then again all your dogs are cuties! ;) I love his name! Does it have a meaning?

I'm sure with your charm & patience you'll be petting him in no time.

Be a good boy for your new momma, Sundin, she's a great lady!

pitc9
11-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Oh he's stunning!!!! :eek:
I can't wait till he comes around to you so we can get more pictures of him and his roomies!!!

beeniesmom
11-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Sundin, you are a very beautiful dog.
Let Glacier approach you and you won't be sorry.
I think he will and very soon. :)

vinjashira
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
is Sundin your #25 Glacier? :)

he looks great on the snow

Jadapit
11-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Sundin is a beauty!! I love his coloring. Has he warmed up to you any yet? I'm sure he will love you in no time. :D

Glacier
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I love his name! Does it have a meaning?

He's named after Toronto Maple Leafs superstar, Mats Sundin. B. is a huge Maple Leafs fan. Pingo's entire litter was named after Leafs players.

Glacier
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
is Sundin your #25 Glacier? :)

Heavens No! He's only #23!

Glacier
11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Sundin is so beautiful.

Glacier, I can't find a previous thread about him. What's his backstory? Poor guy, you can just see the fear in his eyes. I hope he warms up to you soon.

He came from the same musher who gave me Pingo three years ago. He's actually Pingo's son. Sundin doesn't like running in a big team nor does he like doing long distance races anymore. So he doesn't fit with my friend's kennel--he's a pretty serious distance racer. Sundin does fit with my kennel--smaller teams, shorter distances, whatever pace they feel like running. Some of the fear is genetic; Pingo is inclined to be timid too. Pingo has come around very nicely though and I'm sure Sundin will too with time. He's never been abused so we don't have that to worry about. Just have to keep reminding myself that he's just lost everything he's ever known in his 5 years. That's gotta be a traumatic!

He did eat last night. That's a good sign. A truly terrified dog usually won't eat for a few days. This morning, I think I could have caught him but I was going to be late for work. I'll try again tonight.

ramanth
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
I never realized a sled dog could decide that long races just aren't it anymore. Silly boy. I take it the musher contacted you? Will he ever share a pen with Pingo?

lute
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
poor thing. :( i hope he soon understands that you aren't going to hurt him.

Glacier
11-08-2005, 02:25 PM
I never realized a sled dog could decide that long races just aren't it anymore. Silly boy. I take it the musher contacted you? Will he ever share a pen with Pingo?

They have ways of making it very clear that they don't want to do this anymore. Sleet used to go limp and let herself get dragged if she wasn't in lead. Not a good thing! Raven runs looking back at me when she's had enough. They can be as clear about wanting to stop as they are about wanting to get going!

Sundin stops pulling after about 50km. His gait shifts and he will act like he's injured so he can get a ride in the sled. Who can blame him really!?? The longest run my dogs usually do is 50km so he should be happier with that.

He actually called me about a dog he had lost in my area. See this thread for that story: http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=91770&highlight=wandering+jimmy
In the course of that conversation he asked if I was still looking for a leader and then offered Sundin. About 10 days later, Sundin arrived.

He might share a pen with Pingo. Pingo is usually loose in the main part of the yard. She sometimes goes in with Pacer. Sundin is in Pacer's pen right now so they might be together sometimes.

Lobodeb
11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Aww Sundin. You hit the mother load of homes. Let Glacier love you, trust me, it'll be worth it! ;)

K9soul
11-08-2005, 09:33 PM
He's a beauty. You know I've always had a soft spot for Pingo and I really do for this boy too. I know he's smaller but in those pictures he looks so wolfish, like he's doing the "wolf lope." Congratulations on your newest addition, and I bet it won't be long we'll see pictures of a happy boy up close :).

finn's mom
11-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Glacier, he's gorgeous. I can't wait to hear of his progress, and, see more photos of Pingo's beautiful offspring. Your home truly is a wonder! And, he's a lucky boy to be there, now!

lizbud
11-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I hope Sundin doesn't stress to long. I look forward to seeing how he's
doing after a few weeks.

dukedogsmom
11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Congrats! I'm glad I stopped in to see this. He's a pretty dog and he'll be right at home in no time because you are so great with dogs! He'll be very happy there, I'm quite sure.