PDA

View Full Version : Dog dies of cocaine overdose???

RICHARD
11-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I have tried to track down a story I heard this morning.

A police department was training a drug sniffing dog that found a hidden
bag of coke, chewed thru the plastic and ended up dying of an OD.

I want to know where was the AH handler and the person in charge of running the program.....shouldn't they be held responsible, like any person who willingly harms a cop dog??

Did anyone else hear about this?

RedHedd
11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
OMG! No, I didn't hear about it, although that's the kind of story KGO would run. Poor dog! What kind of **(&(*&)!)(&(*&*(&&$@#@!program is that, that they weren't supervising what the dog was doing? Training indeed! :mad:

lizbud
11-07-2005, 07:17 PM
If you can't Google it, it probably didn't happen.

sammy101
11-07-2005, 09:12 PM
i though they didnt use real drugs in training?They just used stuff that smells like it?The ones that i've seen on Tv or whatnot didnt use the real stuff.
If it did happen,thats too bad :( Poor dog :(

gini
11-07-2005, 11:37 PM
It was on the evening news here - and yes, the story is true. Yes it was cocaine.

They had hidden a bag of it for the dog to find - and he did........but bit into the bag which was supposed to be "bite proof".............

Sounds to me as though some investigation needs to happen.

I would be totally distraught if after all of that training and bonding - you lost your partner in a training session??????

cfuh
11-08-2005, 12:51 PM
So sad!!! :( :(

Here's the article:

Drug-sniffing dog dies in California after cocaine encounter
ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:48 p.m. November 4, 2005

REDONDO BEACH – Basko took a bite out of crime – but it cost him his life.
The 5-year-old drug-sniffing German shepherd died Friday after he bit into a bag of cocaine during an annual certification search in Riverside County, according to Sgt. Jim Banach with the Redondo Beach Police Department.

Basko had successfully completed the search and was in his partner's car for the ride home when he had a seizure. The partner, Officer Ken Greenleaf, rushed Basko to a nearby animal clinic, where the dog died before he could be treated, Banach said.

Basko had been with the Police Department for four years, helping to apprehend suspects, including one wanted for murder, and assisting in the recovery of narcotics.

A memorial service was pending.

lv4dogs
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
i though they didnt use real drugs in training?They just used stuff that smells like it?The ones that i've seen on Tv or whatnot didnt use the real stuff.
If it did happen,thats too bad :( Poor dog :(

One of my friends is a K9 officer for our local police department... well actually he works for the city of Canandaigua which is 1-2 towns over from me. But anyways he uses the real deal for training.
I don't know if it is like that everywhere. But so far he's had 2 dogs & he used the real drugs on both dogs for training.
Since you never stop training a dog he carries the drugs on him. They are wrapped up, in a fire hose looking tube throw toy thing. Sometimes I'll see him at the park training his dog.

I haven't heard of this story either.

.sarah
11-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Wow. That's really horrible. :(

senorita02
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
well that is just disgusting if it is true, what a senseless death for a hard working pooch of the law! i am mad as hell about this, shouldnt there be some sort of precaution if they are going to use the real deal?