PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble With Tie-Outs..

Jessika
11-07-2005, 03:21 PM
...is Charlie always gets.. well.. tied up in them!!

http://dontstay.zoto.com/img/640x480x1/24aa366b4162b0603e17829e698b34fb-.jpg (http://dontstay.zoto.com/user/image_detail/IMG.0.24aa366b4162b0603e17829e698b34fb-_CAT.0/date_uploaded-desc/0-30)

.sarah
11-07-2005, 03:23 PM
LOL. I'm so glad we have a backyard. I'd hate for my dogs to have to excersize that way :(

Charlie looks adorable in that picture :)

lv4dogs
11-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, tie outs are only good if nothing is in their way.

Jessika
11-07-2005, 03:24 PM
I wish he didn't run away from me and I could trust him off a leash or tie-out, but I can't. Otherwise I would let him outside to run all he wants, like Jamie does!

IRescue452
11-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah our dogs occasionally need to be chained for one reason or another an they manage to do that too, they get tied up with the lawn chairs the grill and themselves usually. That's a cute picture.

petslover
11-07-2005, 03:29 PM
aww! poor Charlie! LOL..He sure is cute though!

sammy101
11-07-2005, 03:54 PM
lol,aw he looks worried :p . Kodie only gets tied out in the front yard when were out there(Lucy is loose),he lays in the driveway so he doesnt get tied up in anything.

Love4BCs
11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
haha, Poor Charlie! You should get a harness and attach it to that.. mind you, it might not work any better in his case..

Gosh, I love Charlie. He's just adorable.

lute
11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Houston does this also. it's such a pain to get him untangled then watch him run around and do it all over again. :rolleyes:

Jessika
11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
ok here's a question -- when him and Jamie are running around the yard, sometimes he'll run and forget the boundaries of the tie-out and it will catch and he'll like fall back. I'm worried he might hurt his neck... if I got him a harness instead of a collar do you think it'd help?? Or do you think he's fine?? He isn't going to damage his throat doing this, is he?

DogLover9501
11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
LOL! He's adorable!

We have a fenced backyard, but Piddle has a tie-out in the front because he doesn't like going out back with Jasper :p He doesn't usually get tied-up though.

I think a harness might make it a little safer when Charlie forgets about being on the tie-out ;)

KYS
11-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Jessica,
I have tie outs too, but use them for camping purposes only.
I have a fenced back yard.
It is possible for him to hurt his neck if he forgets his
boundaries.
I have never used it, but I have seen them advertise.
It's a trolley line that hooks
to two posts, or two trees.
Sort of looks like a long outside cloths line.
The line has a ring that is attached to another line that
hooks to the collar and moves as the dog moves. The dog can not get tangled I think?
I will try to draw. :)
l---------l (line hooked to two posts.)
The ring moves up and down the
line as the dog moves back and fourth.
Hope that makes a little sense.

Jessika
11-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Oh yup I know what you're talking about, the name completely escapes me at the moment though. We only have one tree in our yard and our yard isn't even big at that.. no backyard, and a tiny front yard. :( We'll probably only be here for another... month and a half, and for Christmas we'll in at my parents' so they'll have a biig fenced in yard to run around in!! But until then (and until we move) we have to make do with what we have :(

dab_20
11-07-2005, 10:11 PM
i am sure glad i have a fenced in back yard. molli runs away (although she comes back)

he sure is cute in that picture!!

K9karen
11-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I used to put Cody on a 50 foot tie out but he always got tangle around bushes and hedges. After i got Logan, I splurged and got a fence and it was the best thing I ever did! Cause she got tangled too and I had to go down a slope in our yard to get her in all sorts of weather. It killed me to spend the money when I wasn't working, but if she's happy, I'm happy.

areias
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Aww. I'm sure a harness would help a lot, just make sure he can't slip out of it.

My aunt owns my shepherds brother, he has a 50 foot tie out (on one of those trolley lines) across their yard. I watched him one time..he got tangled around a tree and himself. He stopped, looked at himself, stepped out of the line, studied the tree, and walked around until he was completely tangle free.

That's one smart dog.

grybai
11-08-2005, 01:13 AM
I also don't have a yard but tie-outs are strictly forbidden in my city. Not that I would use it with Payson because I'm scared he would hurt himself (especially with his penchant for tangling himself in even 6 ft leashes). Unfortunately, Payson abhors going for walks around my neighborhood so I have to find creative means to give him exercised, including obstacle courses around the house and over the sofa, or else drive him to a different location. :rolleyes:

By the way, have you ever considered an invisible fence?

Jessika
11-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Yes, but invisible fences cost lots of money (money which I DO NOT have) and we're probably moving by December, anyway ;) This isn't really our "house", we're renting a... well I don't want to call it an apartment, but its not even a house. I don't know WHAT to call it. But its not our property, we rent from our landlord. And we're probably going to move to a house with my fiancée's co-worker (huuuuuge house, 5br etc) and pay him rent or get an apartment.

Jessika
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
bump :)

.sarah
11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Yes, but invisible fences cost lots of money (money which I DO NOT have) and we're probably moving by December, anyway ;) This isn't really our "house", we're renting a... well I don't want to call it an apartment, but its not even a house. I don't know WHAT to call it. But its not our property, we rent from our landlord. And we're probably going to move to a house with my fiancée's co-worker (huuuuuge house, 5br etc) and pay him rent or get an apartment.
Aww yay for a new house! That sounds huuuge, how big is the yard?

king2005
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I never had problems with tie-outs (for camping only). I swear that dog had to be part human. He would study his area & avoid objects that he could get tangled in. If he got tangled he would study the object & always worked his way out..

At home he wasn't tied or fenced in.. he stayed in our yard & the neighbours yard.. They had a dog, so he was allowed over there & claimed it as his own. The landlord of the house could have caredless & when they moved away, new people moved in & they were told that a large black dog owned the yard (he was harmless) & to not shoo him away or feed him..

So that yard made our yard HUGE!! hehehe

Kristenthemusher
11-09-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm not crazy about invisible fences. Dogs can learn to hear the beep, there's a moments pain, and then they're free!

For tangling, try using a 6' chain (they don't tighten up as bad when the dog is tangled), and put it on a tall post. I'd say 3' minimum if you're in a low snow area. This helps keep the chain off of the ground, and makes it harder for the dog to get tangled :).

Jessika
11-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey thanks Sarah -- I have no clue how big the yard is or if its even fenced (I doubt it is though, he has a dog but its just a little Pom or something similar) but I know that there is a yard and its bigger than the one we have now. The driveway alone is bigger than this house we're in now LOL

And thanks Kristen for the tips! :) Are you from dogster by any chance??

Kristenthemusher
11-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Dogster and Dog Discussion :D.

Jessika
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I knew it! :D Well, welcome here and enjoy! :D

wolfie
11-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Heehee, silly Charlie.

Daphne does that too. She has a 75 ft (I think) trolly tie-out, and she usually ends up stuck around the tree at one end. We have a huge yard, but Daphne figured out how to get through the invisible fence, and my parents won't put up a real fence, because they say fences are too "ugly". *sigh*