PDA

View Full Version : Hallie is MISSING!

kimlovescats
11-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Hallie Sue got out of our "cat-proof" fenced back yard! The weather has been so nice lately, that I have let the kitties have a lot of outside time, and most of them handle it well. Hallie used to always jump on the roof ... banking off of everything possible in the yard. Well ... we now have had everything moved that she could possibly use, and she still has gotten out! :mad: Normally whenever she has gotten out in the past, she is soon at the front door wanting back in ... but not this time. :( I honestly think that one of our neighbors has taken her in, which I suppose is "ok" but it really upsets me that this has happened again ... Harper did the same thing.

I suppose some of you will think I am being negligent, but I am to the point that some of these kitties .... mine and/or rescues simply HAVE to get outside (in our fenced yard) for as much time as the weather allows. In all of the many, many, many kitties as we have tested in our cat-fence ... only a small number (5 or less) have ever been able to get out of it. I think that is a pretty good percentage of safety, but I still don't want ANY of them to get out .... :( Redfurd has proven that he can't be trusted even five minutes in the yard, so he is never allowed out there. Dexter is "wishy-washy" ... if the mood strikes him, he will sneak out, but he always comes back to the front door to be let in the house. He spends very little time outside, unless closely supervised. I thought I had Hallie "safe" since all of the furniture was moved away from the edges where she could jump to the roof. *sigh*

I have gotten to the point that I honestly feel that I am robbing my kitties of fresh air and the beauty of the outdoors, so I have been so happy with the results of our cat-fenced yard. We take every precaution we can ... they absolutely love it out there, and we have NEVER had any other animal come INTO our yard from the outside! All in all, it is a pretty safe and functional area ... they certainly love drinking from the pond, and trying to catch the goldfish! ;)

I guess I am trying to convince myself that this is all "ok" ... but it's hard when something like this happens ... and especially my Hallie Sue ... that I've had since her birth. :(

moosmom
11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I have gotten to the point that I honestly feel that I am robbing my kitties of fresh air and the beauty of the outdoors

I feel that way sometimes too. I just open a window and let them sit in it. I'm sure Hallie Sue will come back. Make sure you check the perimeter of your property. She's gotta be around somewhere. And don't feel guilty. It's not your fault. You've heard about what curiosity did to the cat, haven't you?? ;)

kimlovescats
11-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I feel that way sometimes too. I just open a window and let them sit in it. I'm sure Hallie Sue will come back. Make sure you check the perimeter of your property. She's gotta be around somewhere. And don't feel guilty. It's not your fault. You've heard about what curiosity did to the cat, haven't you?? ;)

Thanks, Donna. We have so few days where we can actually open the windows here ... plus my hubby sleeps days and he gets too hot if I turn the air down to open the windows. Of course, I don't have enough windows for all of my kitties to sit in ... lol! :eek:

I currently have 15 of my own cats PLUS 15 fosters here .... I NEED to have some of them out from underfoot for a while sometimes, ya know? We take every precaution necessary, and we do pretty darn well. I guess I'm just beating myself up with guilt ... which is something I really don't need more of right now. :rolleyes:

Kim

christa
11-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh gosh . . . Kim, I know how upset & scared you must be right now! We'll just hope & pray that Hallie will find her way home soon! Hang in there!

catmandu
11-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Dont worry Kim,
The Pet Taker Angel Search and Rescue Squad is searching now and they always get thier Pet.
Tucker is leading the Search Now,as he knows the area best.

orangemm
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Please let us know when Hallie comes home!

rg_girlca
11-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Kim, first off, no one in their right mind would ever think you are negligent with your cats. So please get that thought out of your head and don't beat yourself up over it. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN....It has happened to quite a few of us here, myself included and I know that I am not negligent when it comes to my cats and neither are you. In fact no one on PT is.

I hope and pray that your Hallie Sue comes home real soon all safe and sound.

((((((HUGS))))))

Soapets
11-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Yeah, what everyone else has said! I hope she comes back soon, and that you can stop feeling guilty. Please keep us updated, and know that in the meantime you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Deb

carole
11-07-2005, 06:27 PM
kim I am sorry to hear Hallie has given you the slip, but keep thinking positive and hopefully she is not far away and will be back home soon, I understand completely how you feel being an indoor/outdoor kitty mum, but sometimes I feel negligent letting mine out, if only we lived in a purrfect world eh!?

Positive thoughts and vibes are being sent your way for the safe return of your precious Hallie. ;)

kimlovescats
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Thank you so much to those of you who have kind words of support for me ... it means alot to me. It's just a sad state of the world, when you have to build a fortress around your house to try and keep your babies safe ... lest they stray out into the "dangerous world". I feel the same about myself so much of the time now ... just wanting to stay home and stay "safe" ... I thought I could at least let my babies enjoy our own backyard. :(

Kim

G535
11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
If she's like most indoors cats who get out then she's probably not too far away. Hope she comes home soon. I feel the same way about the fortress, the days when we could leave our doors and windows unlocked are gone forever. :(

kuhio98
11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Hallie! You come home right now and stop worrying your meowmie and all your aunties! You hear me? Get into the house right now, young lady! Well, it always worked for me. Sending good thoughts your way. I hope she wanders home soon. Don't give up.

catnapper
11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Kim, I am so sorry. Is it possible that someone is SNEAKING into the yard and snatching some of the kitties? I mean, they probably figure you are into the rescuing anyhow, so they just "help themselves"

I hate to think someobnody would do that, but people do incredibly stupid things at times.

Many prayers that she returns!

kimlovescats
11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Kim, I am so sorry. Is it possible that someone is SNEAKING into the yard and snatching some of the kitties? I mean, they probably figure you are into the rescuing anyhow, so they just "help themselves"

I hate to think someobnody would do that, but people do incredibly stupid things at times.

Many prayers that she returns!

No, that's not possible either .... we keep our gate locked with a padlock. She got over the fence and topper somehow. :confused:

Uabassoon
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
I hope Hallie comes home soon. Please don't feel guilty over this. Accidents happen. My cats are indoor only and they still manage to sneak out sometimes! If a cat is that curious they will figure a way out no matter what.

kimlovescats
11-07-2005, 09:39 PM
If a cat is that curious they will figure a way out no matter what.

That's what I keep telling myself ... because honestly, I can't imagine how we could make it any safer out there. Thanks for making me feel better.

Kim ;)

Karen
11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Some people don't know the whole saying - it is actually "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back!"

Here's hoping Miss Hallie Sue gets her fill of adventure, and comes back home tired but safe and satisfied.

kimlovescats
11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I have never heard that, Karen. I sure hope that is the case. Hallie Sue is an extremely loving kitty .... anyone's dream kitty, so I am guessing she has walked right inside someone's front door and unless she pulls a fast one on them too, probably won't be leaving. I just wish I knew .... thankfully I have never seen any pets get hit around here, but those nasty thoughts always haunt you. :(

DJFyrewolf36
11-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Don't think of yourself as being irresponsable! If a cat wants to, there isnt anything that will stop them from getting out. My Spooky kitty ended up getting out through the DRYER VENT a couple of days ago and got stuck up a tree.

Prayers on the way for Hallies safe return!

krazyaboutkatz
11-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that Hallie got out and is now lost. :( Please don't blame yourself because as others have said when a cat wants to get out they'll find a way to do it. I sure hope that Hallie will find her way home very soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))

Have you asked any neighbors if they've seen her?

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-08-2005, 03:16 AM
I have gotten to the point that I honestly feel that I am robbing my kitties of fresh air and the beauty of the outdoors, so I have been so happy with the results of our cat-fenced yard. We take every precaution we can ... they absolutely love it out there, and we have NEVER had any other animal come INTO our yard from the outside! All in all, it is a pretty safe and functional area ... they certainly love drinking from the pond, and trying to catch the goldfish! ;(

Same thought here! My cats absolutely love to play on the lawn, hide under bushes, etc. . Our garden is well fenced too, and no other cats ever come in. Our Maya however has found a way to get OVER that fence :eek: . But she isn't doing that often; and IF she does, she comes right back after a short walk on the driveway. I cannot imagine not letting them play outside; Inka would be sooo unhappy!

jenluckenbach
11-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Oh No :( A lost cat is a nightmare. :( And the "not-knowing" is the worst of all.

But don't feel responsible. As others have said, even an indoor only cat can escape and get lost. If you feel the fenced area was safe, then by gosh, I believe you!

Hope Hallie comes home. How long has it been?

Randi
11-08-2005, 07:48 AM
I hope Hallie haven't wandered too far. Perhaps, as you mentioned, she's with a neighbor who just couldn't resist her. If not, she's probably busy exploring everything and will come home when she's hungry. Can she get back in if she wants to? Will you be able to hear her?

You could try going around the area and shake a bag of treats.

Not knowing is the worst. I hope she is safe!

Uabassoon
11-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Have you had any luck finding her yet?

momcat
11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Please don't blame yourself for this, what more could you possibly have done? Hallie isn't far away and we all know she wants to come home. Have you put any pictures of her up in your neighborhood? More than anything, I hope she's home by the time you see this. Prayers being prayed!

CalliesMom
11-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I am so sorry you have been unable to find her. I'm sure she is just scared right now and is probably near by. Good luck and we will keep our fingers/paws crossed that you find her!

kimlovescats
11-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I think tomorrow I am going to put a few flyers in mailboxes.... and maybe even knock on a few doors. It is really strange how she and Harper both could just vanish so quickly. I just have a very STRONG feeling that someone has taken them in ... because you just do not see free-roaming cats in our neighborhood, and THANKFULLY never any that have been hit either. There is a new couple with small children that lives about 2 or 3 houses down on my side of the road, and once before when Hallie pulled the "bank off the roof" routine, she came back from that direction. I don't know what good flyers will do, because I have a feeling if these people around here take in kitties that obviously have only recently shown up "loose" then they aren't real big into trying to find their "rightful owners"! :( Even if they wanted to keep Hallie, that would be "OK" ... but it would be nice to know she is safe and being loved and cared for. This kitty did not simply vanish into thin air, and she is not the type to go wandering aimlessly. Hallie Sue wants to look around, then come BACK IN for tons of loving. She is an "in your face" kind of kitty ... she craves human attention ... that's why I can almost guarantee that she invited herself into one of my neighbors' homes.

Here is a picture of how loving she really is .... she always wants to do this with me .... if I never had anything else in life to do, Hallie would be thrilled!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/HallieLovesMommy.jpg

Vermontcat
11-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that Hallie is missing. :(
I hope that she comes back home soon!

clarebear
11-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I dont think I can sleep now!. She will be on my mind today!.

kimlovescats
11-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I just finished printing out flyers for Hallie.... I will be putting them in mailboxes in my neighborhood. Wish me luck, that someone will know where Hallie is, and that she is safe!

Thanks,
Kim

Cinder & Smoke
11-09-2005, 12:57 PM
I just finished printing out flyers for Hallie....

I will be putting them in mailboxes in my neighborhood.

:eek:

Prolly better NOT put them either IN or ON a Mailbox!!

Postal Service takes a very dim view of that!
They can and sometimes do "assess" you for First Class Postage for as many
pieces they "think" you distributed.

Better to fold it and slip it between the door and the frame,
or pinch it between the storm door and frame.
Or "rubber band" it to the doorknob.

GOOD LUCK finding them - soon!!

/s/ Phred

kimlovescats
11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
:eek:

Prolly better NOT put them either IN or ON a Mailbox!!

Postal Service takes a very dim view of that!
They can and sometimes do "assess" you for First Class Postage for as many
pieces they "think" you distributed.

Better to fold it and slip it between the door and the frame,
or pinch it between the storm door and frame.
Or "rubber band" it to the doorknob.

GOOD LUCK finding them - soon!!

/s/ Phred

Our neighborhood has all brick mailboxes with an extra hole on the bottom for newspapers, etc. Business are always putting flyers in those ... it will be fine! Thanks for the concern though! ;)

Kim

mina'smomma
11-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Now Kim we all know that you are not negligent unless it is being considered as someone who provides a loving home and safe place happy place for the loveys of yours. In that case I think we all would be considered negligent. I'll keep praying for Hallie to come home to you hun.

doolittleky
11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Kim,
I hope that Hallie comes home safe and sound and that the flyers help you find her. I would be worried sick.

orangemm
11-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Please come home, Hallie, your meowmie is worried, and so are WE!

kimlovescats
11-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I placed the flyers in my neighborhood and I also went to our local Animal Control. Took the tour, no Hallie ... but I filled out a missing pets report and put one of my flyers in the folder. I hope something will bring her back home. :(

Kim

jazzcat
11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh Kim I'm so sorry. :( :( :(

I pray that she comes home safe and sound soon. Please keep us updated.

((((HUGS))))

jenluckenbach
11-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Still here praying for Hallie Sue's safe return.

lisalee
11-09-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm so sorry. I will certainly be praying for Hallie to come home to you soon.

karlyb
11-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Poor little Hallie, she must be so scared. When my Janie escaped last year someone on another cat list told me to sit out on the porch after dark with a lighted candle and talk to her, asking her to come back home and telling her how much I love her and missed her. She came back home in a couple of days and I couldn't stop crying with relief. I don't know if sitting outside talking to her helped bring her home, but it might be worth trying, to bring your Hallie home. I hope she returns soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-10-2005, 04:20 AM
No sign of Hallie yet, Kim??? :(

Poo
11-10-2005, 04:35 AM
Kim, I hope you find Hallie soon. I hope the flyers work.
Nicki x

Laura's Babies
11-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Kim! Sorry your baby got out and hope you get some word soon. I would have put on the flyers thsat if someone took her in, that is OK, you just NEED to know she is alright and then work out some sort of deal with them. She isn't far away experience has taught us that. Shucks, one day you will go out there to count heads and she could be right back there wondering what the deal is that you are so excited!

Sonia59
11-10-2005, 10:29 AM
:( :(
Please Hallie, come home girl!

kimlovescats
11-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Kim! Sorry your baby got out and hope you get some word soon. I would have put on the flyers thsat if someone took her in, that is OK, you just NEED to know she is alright and then work out some sort of deal with them. She isn't far away experience has taught us that. Shucks, one day you will go out there to count heads and she could be right back there wondering what the deal is that you are so excited!

Hi Laura ... thanks. That is exactly what I did put on the flyers, almost word for word what you said! ;) I was trying to attach the flyer but it was in word perfect ... wouldn't attach. I will have to scan it and attach it then.

Hugs,
Kim

Laura's Babies
11-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Great minds think alike... :D Lets hope you hear something soon!!!! (fingers crossed)

kimlovescats
11-10-2005, 07:27 PM
No word at all on Hallie .... I'm losing hope in her coming back. I just have to believe that someone took her in and is loving and spoiling her, I can't allow myself to think any differently!

Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts, but I have to move on, and if I should hear anything positive, I will let you know immediately.

Kim

Laura's Babies
11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
When Klinger came up missing, he was gone for 3 days and was at a neighbors house where he heard us calling him and saw us looking for him. He even saw Mike and Mike saw him, several times but that lady at the house Klinger was at kept insisting Klinger was HER cat. Had it not been for Samanthas former Mom just walking up in that ladys yard and snatching him up by the scruff of his neck, he would probably still be at that ladys house. DO NOT give up hope yet! It is way to soon to give up hope.

If someone has him and he is inside, he will get out sooner or later and you will find him back in your yard.( I had one gone 3 weeks before he found his way back home again)