PDA

View Full Version : Angus will not live with me

annibale16
04-03-2001, 02:27 PM
This is my problem, hope someone can help. I recently moved into a house I built next door to my parents. I had to move in with them while the house was being built and of course Angus the silky terroist came too. Now, he refuses to leave his grandparent's home and will not "settle down" at the new house. What should I do to make him want to live with ME?

cprince
04-03-2001, 02:40 PM
Hi Annibale16! Aren't you the one with the new cat, Madeleine? Hope she's doing well.

Have you tried having Angus stay with you in your new home? Maybe he just needs time to adjust. How long did you live with your parents? If it was long enough, he might believe that that is his home. Given love and patience (and maybe bribery, i.e., treats or a new bed), he may want to stay in your (his) new home. If not, then I would respect his wishes and let him live wherever he is happiest. You didn't say whether or not your parents minded him being there. That could have a lot to do with what you should do. Good luck! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

tatsxxx11
04-08-2001, 01:31 PM
Hi! Just wondering. How old is Angus? Has be always lived with you? Did he have a "close" relationship with his grandparents before you moved in? How long were you there? Did your parents dog sit him during the day when you were at work? I'm not too familiar with terriers and "typical" behavior, if there is such a thing! Maybe he just became quite attached to them and their home during that period of time and needs a long, patient period of adjustment in his new digs. Maybe you should not let the grandparents see him for a while, till he becomes accustomed to his new house? Spend lots of time with him, one on one. Make the new home "his" special place. A place where he gets lots of attention, praise and positive associations. I'm sure you've already set up his bed, his special place etc. Maybe he doesn't like all the "new" smells associated with building? Please let us know if you've had any success. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

annibale16
04-09-2001, 10:26 AM
Hi, Angus is 6 years old and he and I lived with my parents for a year. He is very attached to them and I have tried everything to entice him to come to my house to live. He has made it plain that he likes it there and so I am going to leave him with them ( it is just next door). We still see each other everyday and go for "his walk".

RachelJ
04-09-2001, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a wonderful compromise and if your parents love him as much as he loves them maybe he should just be allowed to have them as his own, which means there is another dog out there somewhere who wants you.