PDA

View Full Version : Question - any ideas?

Samantha Puppy
11-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Samantha has a sore on the inside of one of her hind legs. It's not big - it almost looks like a big mosquito bite that has a "pit" in the center of it. MAYBE the size of a dime, or a touch smaller (the entire sore, not the pit). Sam's not limping so it doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort BUT she won't stop licking it. I'm afraid this is just going to make it worse. I thought maybe putting Neosporin on it would help but I don't want her to lick it off. Wrapping medical tape around it wouldn't help - past experiences with that have all resulted in her pulling the gauze/tape off within 3 minutes of putting it on.

Anyone got any other ideas? I monitor her as best I can when I'm home but being at work all day, I'm sure she'll be spending plenty of time licking it.

Thanks!

6toes
11-07-2005, 08:03 AM
hi,have you tried going to the pet store and finding some kind of wrap for youre dog?there has to be some kind of wrap you can buy that she wont beable to tear up.Or you could get her one of those things that you wrap around a dogs head they look like a lampshade.I forgot what they are called.but do you know what Im talking about?I hope your dog gets better.

lv4dogs
11-07-2005, 08:44 AM
How about using bitter apple around the sore? That is if she doesn't like bitter apple.

areias
11-07-2005, 02:55 PM
What state do you live in? It's not a Brown Recluse spider bite is it?

Do you/can you get an elizabethan collar? That would be my only suggestion, then you can wrap it. Try vet wrap, a colorful stretchy wrap that sticks easily to itself.

Samantha Puppy
11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm in Maryland. I don't know that we have brown recluses here, but even so - it's been 2-3 days since I first noticed her licking it and she acts fine - she's happy, hyper, her appetite is great, etc. I don't think that's it.

The collar would not go over well and again, I would hate to put her in something like that and then leave her all day for work. If it keeps up and she keeps licking, maybe I'll try it as a last resort this weekend. We're so busy getting ready for the baby, we'll definitely be around so I could keep my eye on her.

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep you all posted.