PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

AlleyCat
11-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I have seen various references to Firefox throughout this website (particularly in the sense of attaching photos). Anyhow, who has Firefox -- do you like it? I'm intrigued by it but don't want to download it yet if it would be a major pain to use .. comments appreciated !!

CathyBogart
11-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I like it. It's easier to use then internet exploder or netscrape. ;) It just seems to run more smoothly and efficiently, not to mention my browser hasn't crashed once since I switched. IE used to crash once a day or so.

dogzr#1
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox and I love it:) it doesn't have as many pop- ups and it is easier to use. The only downfall is that if you have yahoo you can't change the font or color when you send a email.

The Cat Factory
11-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I've been using Firefox for I while now and I like it much better then IE. :)

Jessika
11-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I absolutely LOVE FireFox. Tabbed browsing, the ability to download extensions and totally customize the browser to your liking. THEMES, you can skin the browser... I could go on and on all day!!

Not to mention it blocks ALL popups more efficiently than any toolbar you can download for internet explorer. AND it is MUCH more safe and secure.

I strongly recommend FireFox to anyone, even just to try it out, at least try it for a week! :)

I will NEVER go back to any browser (ESPECIALLY the nasty IE) ever again :) Since I've made the switch I've also had significantly less spy and adware and viruses because FireFox is more secure than IE. :)

smokey the elder
11-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Firefox rules. It has a really good popup blocker, crashes less and most pages load smoothly. Occasionally there's a page that's incompatible but that's getting more rare.

Jessika
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Some websites refuse to let you view them in FF, and I think that's ridiculous. But some pages are not coded correctly or to the standard so they don't look right in FF since FF renders HTML and markup correctly, whereas IE will "cover up" your mistakes and actually supports incorrect coding. So if your site doesn't look correct in FF, its not FF's fault at all! Just fix up the coding! :)

LeahMM
11-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Firefox rocks! No adaware or spyware either.

Uabassoon
11-07-2005, 10:04 PM
I've had it for almost 2 years now and I love it. I can't stand IE anymore.

AlleyCat
11-07-2005, 10:07 PM
2 years ?? I had no idea it was around that long! :) I downloaded it yesterday and while I haven't used it much yet (using IE at the moment, out of habit) it does look very friendly. I figured out the tabbed feature and that does seem very cool!

Uabassoon
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I love the tabbed feature. It makes it so easy to browse between all my favorite sites without having tons of windows taking up my screen.

Jessika
11-07-2005, 10:21 PM
2 years ?? I had no idea it was around that long! :) I downloaded it yesterday and while I haven't used it much yet (using IE at the moment, out of habit) it does look very friendly. I figured out the tabbed feature and that does seem very cool!

Here's a tip -- if you have a center mouse button, using it to click on links will open them in a new tab! Also clicking on tabs with the center mouse button will close them. This REALLY is convenient while browsing!

There are also a LARGE number of extensions available.. the ones I find most useful are:
- forecast fox (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=398) (tells your current local weather AND a 3 - 5 day forecast!)
- BBCodeXtra (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1354) (adds BBCode to your right-click context menu!)
- AdBlock (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox) (blocks annoying ads on websites)
- IE View (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35&application=firefox) (adds 'view this page in IE' to your right-click, so you can easily open a webpage or link in IE)
- SyncMarks (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=350) (backs up your bookmarks)
- Linkification (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=190) (converts text URLs and email addresses to clickable hyperlinks)

Those aren't all of them though! You can download extensions from https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox

Also a program every FireFox user must have: MozBackup. It backs up your entire profile so in case something happens or your profile becomes corrupted you have a safe copy! http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

K9karen
11-07-2005, 11:48 PM
It's FireFox for me!

Uabassoon
11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
I never knew that you could change the theme! Thanks :) I know have a kitty theme :D

Pam
11-10-2005, 05:08 AM
I am a Firefox user too. I like the ability to make print larger. :)

Jessika
11-10-2005, 11:51 AM

Oh GOSH yeah. You can do that with IE but its not as obvious (CTRL + scroll up or down on your mouse scroller) lol

Pam
11-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh GOSH yeah. You can do that with IE but its not as obvious (CTRL + scroll up or down on your mouse scroller) lol

I never knew that. :o :o Oops! Just tried it and it didn't work. Wonder what I am doing wrong. :confused:

Uabassoon
11-10-2005, 05:00 PM

LOL once Tibby somehow managed to make the print smaller! Everything was so tiny that I couldn't read anything. At the time I didn't know how to change the print,I was so frustrated. Then I realized I could just shut the window and that solved the problem :)

Jessika
11-10-2005, 05:02 PM
LOL once Tibby somehow managed to make the print smaller! Everything was so tiny that I couldn't read anything. At the time I didn't know how to change the print,I was so frustrated. Then I realized I could just shut the window and that solved the problem :)

Opening a new tab also works, because the text size only stays for the current tab ;)

CTRL+T opens a new tab

Holly's mom
11-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I have been contemplating downloading Firefox, after reading the comments here, I might just give it a try! :)

AlleyCat
11-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I never knew that you could change the theme! Thanks :) I know have a kitty theme :D

I have that too !!

I've been using Firefox pretty much since I originally started this thread, and I noticed that when I am in Yahoo mail it crashes a lot. Only when I'm in Yahoo mail .. Otherwise I'm happy with it.

Lady's Human
11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I love firefox. It is far more secure than IE, and the popup blocker works better than many of the aftermarket IE add ons.

Our Brigade has essentially switched all our computers over to firefox, mainly because of the stability and security that the browser allows. (Now if we can just get the army web site on line with us)

RedHedd
11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
I never knew that. :o :o Oops! Just tried it and it didn't work. Wonder what I am doing wrong. :confused:

In MSIE go to View, scroll down to Text Size and pick your poison ... er, um font size. It sticks too.

If the Cntrl+Wheel up or down doesn't work, make sure you have the proper drivers installed for your wheelmouse.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-11-2005, 04:16 PM
My husband uses Firefox too. I use Safari and I'm perfectly happy with it. I do like Firefox though and if I ever get to the point that I'm no longer satisfied with Safari than I'll switch to Firefox.

Randi
11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I use Safari and I'm perfectly happy with it. I do like Firefox though and if I ever get to the point that I'm no longer satisfied with Safari then I'll switch to Firefox.
The same here. :) Opera is also good.

gkristian
11-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Here's a tip -- if you have a center mouse button, using it to click on links will open them in a new tab! Also clicking on tabs with the center mouse button will close them. This REALLY is convenient while browsing!

There are also a LARGE number of extensions available.. the ones I find most useful are:
- forecast fox (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=398) (tells your current local weather AND a 3 - 5 day forecast!)

is it possible to get weather from around the world (ie Australia)?, not only from the US

Jessika
11-11-2005, 06:01 PM
is it possible to get weather from around the world (ie Australia)?, not only from the US

Yes there is, you type in your information and it tells you the weather for the city you give information for :)

It uses accuweather.com so if it covers Australia then I would imagine ForecastFox will give you the information!

Pam
11-11-2005, 06:07 PM
In MSIE go to View, scroll down to Text Size and pick your poison ... er, um font size. It sticks too.

If the Cntrl+Wheel up or down doesn't work, make sure you have the proper drivers installed for your wheelmouse.

Thanks! It worked now! I have both Firefox and MSIE on my computer and hubs tells me to stick with Firefox for safety reasons as Lady's Human said. What I know about computers can fit on the head of a pin, as you can probably tell. :o :p

gkristian
11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes there is, you type in your information and it tells you the weather for the city you give information for :)

It uses accuweather.com so if it covers Australia then I would imagine ForecastFox will give you the information!

i just downloaded the program and a couple of extras, and the weather thing does work...thanks:D
do you know any extras that would be useful to download?

Jessika
11-11-2005, 07:55 PM
i just downloaded the program and a couple of extras, and the weather thing does work...thanks:D
do you know any extras that would be useful to download?

Well I have A BUNCH of extensions downloaded.. but most are just personal preference type things.. I listed the MOST useful ones (in my opinion) in the other post of mine but if you look at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox there are TONS! :)

gkristian
11-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Well I have A BUNCH of extensions downloaded.. but most are just personal preference type things.. I listed the MOST useful ones (in my opinion) in the other post of mine but if you look at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox there are TONS! :)

thanks again :D

AllAmericanPUP
11-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I use firefox.
It's much better than IE.
I very very rarely(like once in a blue moon) get a pop up and it runs faster.

the only thing i dont like is that i cant change font and ad smileys on yahoo mail, and in MSN groups i cant ad pics directly to a post, i cant change the font and i cant use the chat....wich is all a big bummer to me because i belong to quite a few msn groups...but oh well...whenever i want to do that stuff i just use IE

Jessika
11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I use firefox.
It's much better than IE.
I very very rarely(like once in a blue moon) get a pop up and it runs faster.

the only thing i dont like is that i cant change font and ad smileys on yahoo mail, and in MSN groups i cant ad pics directly to a post, i cant change the font and i cant use the chat....wich is all a big bummer to me because i belong to quite a few msn groups...but oh well...whenever i want to do that stuff i just use IE

There are extensions to fix those problems I do believe if you look around ;)

ChrisH
11-15-2005, 03:47 AM
After reading all your comments on Firefox I downloaded and am using it. It is absolutely wonderful! :D Thank you all so much!! :D

One extension I got which I found very useful is the 'No script' one. Besides the extra security if provides I no longer have to run AdAware around twice a day as I did before! :D

Thanks again. :D
Chris

.sarah
11-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Where can I download it? Sorry, to lazy to search at the moment. After reading this thread I definetly want it!

AlleyCat
11-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Just go to www.firefox.com. Enjoy!

.sarah
11-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks! I'm using it now :) I don't like the way it looks but only because I'm used to IE! The extra protection will be worth it in the end! And I want to customize it as well, with either Labs, Goldens, Dobies, or Danes. :)

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, they don't have that great of themes :(

Jessika
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Sarah I don't know how hard it is to make your own themes, but maybe you can look around??

Jessika
11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
FireFox 1.5 is officially out, so get your copy today (http://www.mozilla.com/)! :D

Many themes/extensions aren't compatible though, but there is a small workaround you can do to make them all work :D

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/firefox/make-extensions-work-in-firefox-15-136993.php

Enjoy! :D

lv4dogs
11-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I use Mozilla Firefox and I love it:) it doesn't have as many pop- ups and it is easier to use. The only downfall is that if you have yahoo you can't change the font or color when you send a email.

I have & LOVE firefox! But I CAN change the font & color of my emails. :confused: