PDA

View Full Version : I'm Very Unhappy With PetsMarts Grooming Department!!!

krazyaboutkatz
11-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi, a new PetsMart opened up recently and it's very convenient to me. It's very large and they have a grooming department, a doggie day care, and also an animal hospital inside. I normally take my cats to a grooming school to have their nails trimmed but decided to take Pearl and Sky to PetsMart this evening to try them out.

I also had to bring paper work to prove that they had been vaccinated against rabies in case they bit any one. The young girl clipped their nails in front of me and also cleaned out their ears. It's a package deal for $12 per cat. Any way when I got home, I checked out their nails and Pearl's dewclaw on her right front paw was bleeding!!! :( I was extremely upset and I called the grooming department but the lady had already left for the day. The woman who answered the phone was very nice and she wrote down my name and number and will let the lady know what happened. I already told her that this was my first time of taking my cats there and it will be my last time too.

Starr's foster Mom had mentioned to me that if a cats quick is cut to use some hard soap to stop the bleeding. I tried this and it wasn't working because Pearl kept licking her paw. :( I ended up calling my emergency vet and the woman told me to dip her paw in either flour or cornstarch and to keep her quiet for 10-15 minutes. I dipped her paw in flour and it worked. :) She kept licking the flour off so I just kept putting more on. They also said that it won't become infected so that's also great news. Any way thanks for letting me vent. :)

I'll also be going to my local grooming school from now on. They do a much better job and they're also less expensive too. :)

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
ahh!!! thats terrible!!!! they probally like were not really concentraiting when they do it. I am always really nerves when i do my cats, so i just end up fileing thier nails instead, i'm glad pearl's paw won't get infected though!

jenluckenbach
11-06-2005, 06:25 AM
The cat should not have been sent home bleeding. YES< clipping a nail too short is a common occurance, even for the most experienced groomers, but I personally ALWAYS look at all the nails an extra time before sending the pet home.

catmandu
11-06-2005, 08:43 AM
The trouble with these Box Stores is that they tend to hire people who are not really qualified.
And they are not given proper training.
And thats inexcusable when it comes to our Companions.
I would COMPLAIN,until you are satisfied.

K & L
11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I've never used Petsmart but sorry you had such a negative experience. Some updated photos would be nice! :D

kimlovescats
11-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I had one of my babies' claws clipped at a groomer in our emergency vets office. I was appalled to find that SEVEN of her claws were bleeding when I got home! YES, I did complain and NO I will not be going back there!!!

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience as well, please give Pearl some kissies on her little sore paw for me! ;)

Kim

AmberLee
11-06-2005, 02:30 PM
OMG. How upsetting for you! Is the princess back to her 'bouncy-off-the-walls-and-each-and-every-brother' self yet today? :D

krazyaboutkatz
11-06-2005, 06:20 PM
The trouble with these Box Stores is that they tend to hire people who are not really qualified.
And they are not given proper training.
And thats inexcusable when it comes to our Companions.
I would COMPLAIN,until you are satisfied.
Actually the lady that clipped their nails is the only one that's trained to do so. When I called to complain the lady that answered the phone told me this. I still haven't heard back from her either.

Pearl's fine and yes, she's back to her bouncy, hyper self again. At least I know now what to put on bleeding paws if this ever happens again. Thanks for all of your replies. :)

Soapets
11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
We don't have a PetSmart in the town I live in. Our Vet. usually does the nail-trimming for us, and we've never had any problem there, thankfully!

Deb

Jessika
11-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Was she struggling when she clipped their nails??

I know sometimes when dogs come in to get their nails done and they struggle, especially when they have darker nails, sometimes they'll clip the quik. It's not a huge deal, at all! The cat and dog usually experience very little to no pain. Even I on occasion when clipping Charlie and Jamie's nails have clipped their quik before. It's an honest mistake and I'm SURE the girl didn't do it on purpose. Don't brush them off altogether, everyone makes mistakes and if I know anything cats usually don't like getting their nails done because they aren't used to it.

EDIT: oh another way to stop bleeding is to pack the nail with some flour ;)

Don Juan's mom
11-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Try taking your two to the Petsmart in Campbell (on Hamilton near San Tomas Expressway, next to Mervyn's). I've taken my two there twice (each), and no problems. They charge $8 for an "express clip" (no ear wash).

However, they told me up front that they do NOT bathe cats. Cowards! :D

Liz

tricollie4me
11-06-2005, 10:18 PM
OMG, Don Juan's Mom! I grew up right near that area -- I live in the chilly Midwest now but spent the first 25 years of my life in that neck of the woods! I can't imagine how it's changed, but sounds like a few of the old landmarks are still there :) My high school was Westmont, and we lived on McCoy Avenue for over 10 years. Wow, what deja vu to see your post! I can't tell you how often I used to shop at Mervyn's (we don't have them out here!). Thanks for that jolt from my past! :eek:

CathyBogart
11-07-2005, 12:08 AM
HEY! I was just at the Petsmart on Halloween, Star and Wilbur and I were escaping from all of the scary people knocking on the door. Wierd...

wolf_Q
11-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm sorry Pearl's nail was cut too short. Even if you are being careful, it does happen sometimes though...I'm sure this person did not do it intentionally. I've made nails bleed, and yes, I do know what I'm doing (It's my job) and I'm careful. She definitely should not have been sent home with a bleeding nail though. Maybe you should get some styptic powder (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=66&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=66&AS=1) just to have on hand in case something similar happens, it works much better than flour/cornstarch/soap to stop bleeding from nails and minor cuts/scrapes.