PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a trac phone?

shais_mom
11-05-2005, 10:33 PM
My cousins, sister and I are thinking about getting this for my grandma. I think it is what we want but my question is that I can't seem to find the answer to is does it have a phone number that WE can call. It isn't so much the problem of HER calling US - its us (extended family et al) keeping track of her.
I thought about getting a prepaid thru Verizon but that isn't as great of a deal as it sounds.
http://www.tracfone.com/home_page.jsp?b=i&flash=YES&p=W

Thanks for the input.

Roxyluvsme13
11-05-2005, 10:37 PM
my mom has a tracfone! its basically almost the same as a regular non prepaid cell phone and they have the best pricing plan out of all prepaid phone companies :)

shais_mom
11-06-2005, 01:47 PM
bump ???
:(

Roxyluvsme13
11-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Ok apparently I didnt help :confused:

Toby's my baby
11-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I dont have one, but from what I have heard, they aren't that great, because you pay more for not that many minutes. IF you get a tracfone, I heard that it is better to get the card that doesnt expire for a whole year instead of one month or whatever. I also heard that half the time they dont get reception, because they are cheap .. . ? If you were to get a TracFone, I suggest getting the card taht lasts a year, if she isnt going to be on the phone a lot. I know I didnt help much, but I hope I helped a little!

Roxyluvsme13
11-06-2005, 03:01 PM
I dont have one, but from what I have heard, they aren't that great, because you pay more for not that many minutes. IF you get a tracfone, I heard that it is better to get the card that doesnt expire for a whole year instead of one month or whatever. I also heard that half the time they dont get reception, because they are cheap .. . ? If you were to get a TracFone, I suggest getting the card taht lasts a year, if she isnt going to be on the phone a lot. I know I didnt help much, but I hope I helped a little!
The cards are kind of expensive, but my mom always has good reception. For the card that lasts a year, you Still have to buy other minutes, and that just makes your subscription last a year, the 1 year card is like alot...I have a Virgin Mobile, and I like them MUCH better than Tracphone.

shais_mom
11-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok apparently I didnt help :confused:
*sigh* don't take it to heart yes you did help but I wanted more then one opinion
I was absolutely NOT trying to hurt your feelings.

shais_mom
11-06-2005, 06:35 PM
well - this is for an 80+ year old who needs a BASIC phone - no bells and whistles - no pictures no games - etc - she doesn't leave the county very much - so I don't think reception would be a problem. This is really for just in case of emergency type thing.
Thanks. :)

chocolatepuppy
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a prepaid phone. Don't know if it's a trac phone. You put the minutes on it by calling the company you have it through and adding them. I do have a number so that people can call me, I don't give it to anyone though, it is strictly an emergency phone. Yes the minutes costs more but $20.00 last me two years. I used them up mostly because I have to make a call once a month ( I call the time and temperature ;) ) or get a service charge.

Toby's my baby
11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
well - this is for an 80+ year old who needs a BASIC phone - no bells and whistles - no pictures no games - etc - she doesn't leave the county very much - so I don't think reception would be a problem. This is really for just in case of emergency type thing.

I'm sure it would be just fine for her then ;) Good luck in finding a good phone!

Roxyluvsme13
11-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I understand...Hmm...my moms phone is pretty simple. Its by tracphone, My phones company, Virgin Mobile, has games and all this fancy stuff, lol SO I wouldnt really recommend it for her, but MINUTE WISE they have cards available in $20, $30, and $50, and I myself like them TONS better than Tracphone...BUT if you're more looking for just a simple phone, and you're not making this on minute wise decisions, Tracphone has simpler phones :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Staci ~

You and the Folks should check with you own Cell Companies ...

Ask How Much? to ADD a "second family member" to your accounts.

Some companies will add an additional phone and number for as litttle as $10 / month -
and give you additional minutes that are shared between the phones.
The extra phone is usually "free" or less than $30 to buy.

You may have to "fib a bit" about her relationship and/or her address ...
but maybe your Daughter Keegan can just "loan" her new phone to GranMom.

:p

cyber-sibes
11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
We got a trac phone recently,and so far, really like it. We got it mostly for travel, it does come in handy. I don't know how the rates compare with a monthly phone, as we got it for limited use. It's very reasonable.

shais_mom
11-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey Staci ~

You and the Folks should check with you own Cell Companies ...

Ask How Much? to ADD a "second family member" to your accounts.

Some companies will add an additional phone and number for as litttle as $10 / month -
and give you additional minutes that are shared between the phones.
The extra phone is usually "free" or less than $30 to buy.

You may have to "fib a bit" about her relationship and/or her address ...
but maybe your Daughter Keegan can just "loan" her new phone to GranMom.

:p
I did do that with Verizon yesterday and that was a bust - and everyone in my family has Verizon (b/c despite what I found out - I think they are the only way to go around here:))
1)
To add her to my plan - like a family plan - its a 2 year contract AND another $20 a month ADDED to my bill.
2)
to get a prepaid thru Verizon it is still $30 a month b/c they charge you .99 cents a day b/c you have the phone even if you don't use it.
Neither of those options would make a good Christmas present! :)
That's why I was thinking of Trac Phone b/c I could buy her the most basic phone. (their most basic is $20 I think) and my cousins and sister could get her the cards to use the minutes. Its really only for the family to get ahold of her if we need OR for her to use to call her sister in Michigan if she so chooses.

Thanks everyone! :)

catnapper
11-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Your Verizon person is lying to you. We just signed up -- YES , its a 2 year pla, BUT the additional line was only $10. And if everyone is already on Verizon, then all her calls would be "free". Then they have some nice basic phones for free. When I went a few week ago to get mine, they had at least 3 styles available for free.

The thing about tracphone is the minutes expire. From what my friend who has a trackphone told me they only last a few months before they are no longer good. Would an 80 year old woman be able to remember how many minutes she has left, how "fresh" they are (meaning how close ot expiring) etc. I myself would not be able to keep track of it.

shais_mom
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I still think the trac phone is the way to go since we wanted a one time price and we don't want anyone added to our plans.
This 80 year old - I think would be fine - she is much more active then I am! :)

Logan
11-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Staci, there is a guy that I work with that uses one. He swears by it! Gets a good signal all the time and he swears what he pays is much less than most of us. I'm going to email him right now to ask him more specifics, and I'll email or PM you when I hear back from him.

Logan

shais_mom
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Staci, there is a guy that I work with that uses one. He swears by it! Gets a good signal all the time and he swears what he pays is much less than most of us. I'm going to email him right now to ask him more specifics, and I'll email or PM you when I hear back from him.

Logan

That would be great!
Thanks so MUCH Logan! :)

{{hugs}}

Logan
11-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I just sent you an email with the response from my trusted friend at work. If your grandmother won't use it often, then I think this is a great plan!!! I depend on my cell phone (and lots of minutes) for my work, so it wouldn't work for me, but he doesn't, and he highly recommends it!

Logan

Corinna
11-07-2005, 01:53 PM
My son (not home right now ) uses a trac phone for him he propbly should have something else as much as he uses it but he loves it. you can send pm or email any questions and he can answer them.

shais_mom
11-07-2005, 11:41 PM
well it sounds like the trac phone is the best bet for both my mom and my Grandma but unfortunately for my Grandma we aren't going to have to worry about where she is for the next 6-8 weeks - she fell and broke her knee cap AGAIN! This is the 3rd time she has done this. She has broken both of them and now this one twice. I am going to make another thread for thoughts and prayers.

Thanks