PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I need women/teenage girl advise!!

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I KEEP ON CUTTING MYSELF. NO IT NOT LIKE YOU THINK, I'M NOT CUTTING MYSELF ON PURPOSE. eVERYTIME I SHAVE MY UNDER ARMS, I ALWAYS GET A NASTY CUT. I AM CURRENTLY USING SKINTIMATE WATERMELON SHAVE GEL, AND VENUS RAZORS. I TALKED TO ONE OF MY FREINDS AND SHE TOLD ME NOT TO SHAVE, AND THEN TRY A COUPLE DAYS LATER, I DID I GOT A EVEN WORSE CUT, EVEN IF THE RAZOR IS DULL I STILL GET A NASTY CUT. I AM CURRENTLY USING DOVE SENSITIVE SKIN DEODERANT AND THAT'S ALSO NOT WORKING, I DON'T WANT TO END UP NOT SHAVING AT ALL. THE WEIRD PART IS I NEVER GET CUTS WHEN I SHAVE MY LEGS. PLEASE HELP!!!

Jessika
11-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Try a different deoderant, one that mosturizes your skin!! I know the new line of Dove deoderants are wonderful for this!

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 10:24 PM
thats what i am using.

Jessika
11-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Ah poop sorry I missed that. It's a little hard to read since its in all-caps :(

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 10:26 PM
oh sorry i always do that on accsident.

.sarah
11-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I had problems with that for YEARS. I finally started using the Schick Intuition razor -- the one with the soap attatched to the razor -- and I use the sensitive skin variety (not the normal one, that one made it worse for me). I also shave my underarms EVERY DAY, because if I quit for even one day I cut myself and get razor burn. The razor burn hasn't completely gone away but it's a LOT better than when I first started shaving.

Jessika
11-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Oh another suggestion I just thought of - perhaps instead of shaving down, first shave up (WITH the hair) and then down (against it). This might help. This helps me soemtimes when I haven't shaved my legs in awhile ;)

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 10:36 PM
ohh ok i will have to buy what sarah said and then try that thanks guys, any other suggestion would be great too. I hate having razor cuts

areias
11-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Have you tried exfoliating? Maybe you could get an exfoliating scrub, and scrub your armpits to get the dead skin off. Also, make sure your armpits stay wet for at least 15min before you shave, and that your not doing it right when you wake up. Your skin is puffy when you first wake up.

They also make anti-razor burn stuff for bikini zones, I'm sure it would work similar for armpits. I can't offer more than that, I don't get very much razor burn, for some odd reason.

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 10:48 PM
thanks, that also helps alot.

.sarah
11-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Oh another suggestion I just thought of - perhaps instead of shaving down, first shave up (WITH the hair) and then down (against it). This might help. This helps me soemtimes when I haven't shaved my legs in awhile ;)
Actually, as far as I know, the hair under your arms grow in all different directions. So this method wouldn't work (unless if I'm wrong).

Karen
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
You are far more likely to cut yourself with a dull razor than a sharp one. This is true of knives as well as razors. I also always shave with no cream or gell so I can see what I'm doing. I have incredibly sensitive skin, so have to be careful even with what unscented deodorant I use - I'm even allergic to some "unscented" ones, so I am very careful about what does or doesn;t touch my skin there. A sharp new razor is far safer.

animal_rescue
11-05-2005, 11:39 PM
ugh I hate that! I get the worst razor burn under my arm pits. I've been using razorless shaver and shave cream. It works wonders but I still shave my legs the regular way.

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 11:39 PM
oh thanks karen!! I had no idea!!! i will have to tell my mom that too, because thats, what she always does is use the dull.

Jessika
11-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Actually, as far as I know, the hair under your arms grow in all different directions. So this method wouldn't work (unless if I'm wrong).

Yes and no -- but I do know for me that most of it grows in one direction. If you look carefully you will be able to tell which direction its growing in and shave in that direction first.

jackie
11-06-2005, 07:26 AM
You are far more likely to cut yourself with a dull razor than a sharp one. This is true of knives as well as razors. I also always shave with no cream or gell so I can see what I'm doing. I have incredibly sensitive skin, so have to be careful even with what unscented deodorant I use - I'm even allergic to some "unscented" ones, so I am very careful about what does or doesn;t touch my skin there. A sharp new razor is far safer.

Yep, That is true about dull razors, much more likely to irritate your skin. Are you actually cutting yourself, or is it razor burn after you shave? Maybe you should try Nair (with caution, I once burnt my skin with it), or waxing? One product I use for razor burn is called "TEND SKIN", it is an awesome product which eliminates razor burn. It is similar to aftershave, but sooooo much better.

AbbyMom
11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Used to have this problem. Now I use a man's Gillette Mach 3. The blades are really, really expensive, but the blades are really sharp. Good luck.

Toby's my baby
11-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I have a Venus razor too, but I dont use shaving cream when I shave my underarms, I just stand under the water and let it run down my arm. I dont think I have ever cut my underarms, only i get razor burn every once in awhile. I too, use the Dove deoderant.

Good luck!

Felix
11-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Used to have this problem. Now I use a man's Gillette Mach 3. The blades are really, really expensive, but the blades are really sharp. Good luck.

I also use mens Gillette Mach 3 turbo blades.I never get a cut and can shave in a jiffy ;) I swear by them!! :D

areias
11-06-2005, 12:59 PM
I thought I was the only wierdo who used men's razors. :p I also use "Edge" shaving cream-I love it, it has aloe and everything in it.

MariaM
11-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't think I've ever cut myself on my arm pits either, but I do get razor burn, at least I think that's what it is, a lot of little red bumps. It's REALLY irritating and it hurts...grrrr..

Suki Wingy
11-06-2005, 01:36 PM
I get that on my legs a lot too, that is why I wear pants a lot in the summer but I think I'll try the razorless shaver thing.

Flatcoatluver
11-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Yep, That is true about dull razors, much more likely to irritate your skin. Are you actually cutting yourself, or is it razor burn after you shave? Maybe you should try Nair (with caution, I once burnt my skin with it), or waxing? One product I use for razor burn is called "TEND SKIN", it is an awesome product which eliminates razor burn. It is similar to aftershave, but sooooo much better.
yeah i am actually cutting myself, I sometimes get razor burn on my legs, but the cuts hurt worse

Jessika
11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I thought I was the only wierdo who used men's razors. :p I also use "Edge" shaving cream-I love it, it has aloe and everything in it.

Oh no you're not! I actually PREFER men's razors over womens' for that exact reason. ;)

ALSO another thing to add -- if you're getting razor BURN then buy some aftershave (yes, men's aftershave works very well) and I know when I get razor burn on my legs I use my dad's aftershave and it works wonderfully ;) I'm sure you could use some for your armpits, especially ones with aloe to help moisturize the skin!

Pawsitive Thinking
11-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Have you tried waxing instead? there are gentle strips you can buy for underarms, maybe using once or twice then not shaving will help the cut heal

Muddy4paws
11-07-2005, 05:33 AM
A pain free method is using a hair removal cream like :

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1047075
I have to warn you they smell quite bad but they work, so its best to do it before a shower! you just leave the cream on for the time it says then basically just remove it with the bladeless razor, i find it doesnt leave your skin as dry either

Cataholic
11-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Hmmm...it sounds to me like you are not shaving correctly. I would try these steps.

Shower, with warm water in your 'pit' (he he he). Wait a minute or two, then, lather well with shave creme (frankly, I think they are all the same, the women's stuff just costs more, IMO). Then, with a fresh razor, shave the area from the top (closest to your elbow) down (closest to the body). BUT make sure your arm is up over your head, with the largest possible exposed surface, as flat as you can make it.

THEN, when you get out of the shower, pat yourself dry there and DO NOT put on deoderant for as long as you can go without....maybe right before you walk out the door??? (Do you even NEED deoderant? LOL..that might be another thread...I don't wear it...I know, I know, TMI! But, I don't NEED it (yes, everyone agrees with me....he he he))

Good luck. Also, I always found it easier on my skin to shave every day, not skipping any days. It was only when I started shaving 1-2 times a week that I would get cuts or burn. :eek:

Mutt_Maniac
11-07-2005, 03:20 PM
as Cataholic said, Make sure your arm is up as far as it will go and as flat as possible. That could be part of the problem.

I also never use shaving creme on my underarms just shave with the shaver and water.

The razorless shavers work VERY well, the do smell really bad as previously posted but they do work. *just make sure you take a shower AFTER. lol :p

BitsyNaceyDog
11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I had a problem with dry skin and often cut myself because of that. I tried using the shaving cream that was supposed to help prevent dry skin, but it didn't help. My sister (who went to school for skin care) told me that shaving cream and shaving gel both have a lot of alcohol in them which drys out your skin. I started using hair conditioner instead of shaving cream and it made all the differance. No more dry skin for me!!

carole
11-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Phew I am relieved it is by accident ;) I have never cut myself shaving under arms but sometimes on the legs, and I have been shaving for many years now lol, I use shaving cream to shave under my arms and legs, any kind seems to work and I have very sensitive skin.

Mutt_Maniac
11-07-2005, 06:47 PM
*also...I don't used shaving creme very often. Only like if I am going to wear a skirt or something...else I jsut use water. It works, I don't cut myself, and I also put a lot of lotion on EVERY night on my legs and arms...

Jessika
11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
*also...I don't used shaving creme very often. Only like if I am going to wear a skirt or something...else I jsut use water. It works, I don't cut myself, and I also put a lot of lotion on EVERY night on my legs and arms...

I do that, too! I never use shaving cream. A waste of money, in my opinion. I thought I was the only person who did this!! An old friend of mine once referred to it as "dry shaving" but I don't think that's the correct terminology lol

carole
11-07-2005, 07:19 PM
My husband and son use a budget shaving cream, so I just borrow a wee bit of theirs when I need it, so it does not work out very costly and honestly for someone with as sensitive skin as i have it works well.

Flatcoatluver
11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
i bought it because i thought you had to, i will just try not using it then.

king2005
11-07-2005, 10:39 PM
I always cut myself when I use shaving creams or soaps. I have been using just water for 10 years. I also use el'cheapo razors. Once I'm finishes shaving, I sometims use shaving cream to smell nice :)

joycenalex
11-08-2005, 04:40 AM
i use the gilette mens' razor that the others mentioned, cheap shaving cream, and i'm careful to keep my arm rotated so that my armpit is flat as possible. could you shave at night so that you use deoderant in the am b/4 you leave for the day?