PDA

View Full Version : What's a designer dog?

Alysser
11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I probably sound really dumb to you but I don't know what they are. I just know it has something to do with mixed breeds and is really bad ans sad.

Jessika
11-05-2005, 05:58 PM
A "designer dog" is basically someone saying "well these two dogs will look cute if bred together!" so they breed to make mixed puppies and go from there. It's sad really. Pups like Labradoodles are examples of "designer breeds".

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
they make this cute little name up then sell them for like 1000 when you can go get them in a shelter and save a life

Alysser
11-05-2005, 06:04 PM
OMG! Thats horrible. Worse then I thought! That should be illegal. They are taking away an owner who could save a really NEEDY dog :eek: :eek:

poofy
11-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Designer breeds, Mine are called designer breeds,
Sammyj..bichon/shi zu
Yollie..bichon/toypoodle
I didnt pay that for mine and they wouldnt let me adopt at any of the shelters.But they did say I could have adopt a large dog and it would be no problem at all..as they always have soooooo many of them...Im not big on the shelters out here..they made me mad, acted like bigger dogs didnt matter..And just because you have a "designer breed" does not make you a bad person..I just happen to be able to get these, and I wanted small dogs
and thats what I was looking for...and I did not pay a big price for them.. :D

finn's mom
11-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, most purebreds at some point started out as two types of dogs being consistently bred over and over until the same type of puppy was produced. And, it's basically no different now, except this is all the first stages of producing new breeds. And, because of people's awareness of such nonsense, and, because of the overpopulation of unwanted dogs and dogs that are euthanized every year, people aren't as ok with new breeds being produced. It'll be many, many years before we even see whether these new "breeds" will actually become AKC recognized (or recognized by another club). I just usually hate the silly names they come up with. Instead of just coming up with a totally new name, they always combine the two, and, they always sound stupid as heck. Obviously, the name is the least of the concern.

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I see this in two different ways.

I see the bad side.

But I also see a good side. It could make people more liking to the mixes and create more of a demand so ones in shelters are adopted. All dogs were created from mixes. There just didn't appear, say, 2 Border Collies one day. It was created from something else.

I don't see anything directly wrong with creating (Labradoodles).

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 06:11 PM
here are some exaples of desinger dogs
puggle (pug and beagle mix)
http://www.pups4kids.com/images/Available%20Now/F%20puggle_4-16-04.JPG
labradoodle (lab and poodle mix)
http://www.jasonpermenter.com/images/labradoodle.jpg
Goldendoodle (golden retriever and poodle mix)
http://www.countylinepuppies.com/rusty%20az.jpg
cockapoo (cocker spaniel and poodle mix)
http://www.mulberryfarm.com/cockapoo_Buff-White_Mikey_316x285.jpg

wolf_Q
11-05-2005, 06:17 PM
When thousands of perfectly healthy and nice dogs (mixed and purebred) stop dying needlessly in shelters every day, then and only then, will it be OK to intentionally breed mixes like that in my opinion.

Alysser
11-05-2005, 06:30 PM
They aren't even that cute! Why do people have to be so stupid? Seriously, unwanted dogs are born every single day and then wind up in a shelter or worse, DEAD! Then, they just go an create more and more to make it worse.

poofy
11-05-2005, 06:32 PM
When thousands of perfectly healthy and nice dogs (mixed and purebred) stop dying needlessly in shelters every day, then and only then, will it be OK to intentionally breed mixes like that in my opinion.

I dont think is it ok to be breeders of any of these just because they are popular at the moment..its why the shelters and streets are full..but it would help if the shelters would help people adopt..not tell you that you cant have a small dog but you sure can take a big one, or a standard poodle, that would be no problem..money shouldnt be a factor but it is..a good home should be the point..I didnt say I want a designer breed, never knew what they were till I read about them on Pettalk.and I already had SAmmyJ ...

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Are you all those purebred-loving people and against mixes?

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 06:35 PM
were never against mixes, we are against people that are breeding mixed dogs on purpose, take a look at petfinder.org you will find tons of dog that need homes, 10000 dogs are euthenized every year!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-05-2005, 06:35 PM

Not at all! Most people here just don't like the idea of mixing these designer breeds for no other reason except the fact that they think they're cute.

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Not at all! Most people here just don't like the idea of mixing these designer breeds for no other reason except the fact that they think they're cute.
Yeah!!! Why buy a 1000 mixed breed dog, when you can save a life my adopting and spent like 100, and the dog is already spayed and has updated on shots???

Jessika
11-05-2005, 06:37 PM

No no no -- there are already thousands and thousands of mixed dogs and puppies that need good homes in shelters -- why ADD to that and more importantly, how DARE you charge hundreds, and possibly thousands, of dollars for one?

If you want a mixed breed go look in the shelter and find your companion dog. That's my view on this ;)

poofy
11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Its not that they arent CUTE!!! Its that its a money making thing that creates more than can be taken care of while there are already other breeds that arent being taken care of..I think my SammYj and Yollie are just as cute as any others.. :D

sammy101
11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
we love mixed dogs!Both mine are!i agree with you all. There are plenty of mixed breeds in the shelter,why go buy a purposely bred one for $800,when you can RESCUE one from the shelter!?

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
But then look at mixing personalities.

Hm, let's take the Goldendoodle for example.

GOLDENS: Smart, intelligent, great family dogs

POODLES: Pretty, intelligent

Than you have all that together.

I have seen Petfinder. That is where we got Mickey from.

As I said before, I think if we start to create a demand for mixes, many in shelters will be adopted as well.

Jessika
11-05-2005, 06:44 PM

As I said before, I think if we start to create a demand for mixes, many in shelters will be adopted as well.

I think you're misunderstanding our point, though. We're not against mixies, we're against purposely breeding mixies. It won't create a demand for people to adopt them from shelters.. if anything else it will make people less likely to adopt from shelters because they didn't come from a "breeder". And that having been said, why pay hundreds of dollars for one from a "breeder" when there are perfectly good mixies needing loving homes in shelters and you can usually get one for less than $100??

sammy101
11-05-2005, 06:45 PM
I think you're misunderstanding our point, though. We're not against mixies, we're against purposely breeding mixies. It won't create a demand for people to adopt them from shelters.. if anything else it will make people less likely to adopt from shelters because they didn't come from a "breeder". And that having been said, why pay hundreds of dollars for one from a "breeder" when there are perfectly good mixies needing loving homes in shelters and you can usually get one for less than $100??
yes i agree!

Uabassoon
11-05-2005, 06:45 PM
The majority of breeds out there were bred for a reason, back when dogs were more than just companions. They used to be working animals and they were bred and designed to do a certain job. Now the majority (notice I didn't say ALL) of designer breeds are bred because they are "cute". It all seems rather silly to me. You can walk in a shelter and see tons of "cute" dogs, I'd much rather save one at a shelter then pay someone a crazy amount of money for a mutt.

poofy
11-05-2005, 06:46 PM

That seems to work just the other way. :eek: .breeders take advantage of the Shelters rules that rule out a lot of people and they buy from breeders because they get tired of trying to prove they are good enough to adopt from the shelter..Breeders use up the poor mommy dogs by continually breeding them to make money..it is sad if you ever saw one you would understand..its not a pretty sight.. :(

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 06:46 PM
No, I know you're against breeding mixes. I am, but I'm not. I can see both sides of this but feel the need to defend it because no one else is. Hundreds of years from now, the majority of people won't even remember this uproar about breeding mixes. They'll be purebreds.

finn's mom
11-05-2005, 06:47 PM
They'll be purebreds.

That's what I was saying...probably not all of these new breedings will end up being considered purebreds, but, some of them will. And, probably some of the purebreds we have now, won't be around.

Giselle
11-05-2005, 06:48 PM
No, but this is the most common misconception most people have about "us" (general us). We are not purebred elitists, "nazis" (YES! We've been called that!), or mutt-hating people. If you would be so kind as to look at our siggies, but you'll notive we own mutts, too ;) I myself am owned by a BYB-bred Pekingese whose background is most likely not pure, and I have no qualms about it.

What I DO have a problem is is the massive influx of unnecessary breedings of Breed A to Breed B for a couple of dollars. The people who "create" these puppies and give them ridiculous names and price them for upwards of 1000$ do so for the profit. Their only purpose for breeding is to make buckets of money, which is counterproductive and extremely detrimental to both breeds. I would go so far as to say that all of us would agree that the only reason to breed is to better the breed. Exactly how is breeding a Labrador Retriever to a Poodle "bettering the breed"? The Labrador/Poodle mixes were originally bred as hypo-allergenic guide dogs, but the idea in itself was flawed when you consider the fact that there is no hypoallergenic dog. All dogs produce saliva (which is much of what causes the allergic reaction), so it is very possible that one could be allergic to all dogs, regardless of breed. But besides that, the experiment did not work and the breeding for a hypo-allergenic dog was discontinued. HOWEVER, unscrupulous breeders began combining Poodles and miscellaneous other breeds and began labeling them with cutesy names and priced them for thousands of dollars, claiming that their dogs possessed "hybrid vigor" (which does NOT exist within dog breeds) and that they were hypoallergenic (which, again, is not true since all dogs produce saliva!). Due to this shameful greed and unscrupulous breedings, there are now thousands of designer mixes languishing in shelters and being euthanised to this day. THIS is why we are against designer mixes. THIS is why we are against backyard breeding and puppy mills. We are not purebred elitists. We are in this for the dogs.

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 06:48 PM
yeah are adoption fee for a dog is 94 and for puppies it 115, which covors, nueter or spay, microchipping, collors and etc., shots, testing for worms, no flea, all that stuff, and when you paying 800 for a desinger breed, which the breeders are byb, then that makes no sence, because you have to pay for all of the above too!!!!

Alysser
11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
No, I will NEVER be agianst mixes. I was about to get a mix today. But Sassy hated her and I couldn't adopt her. I am still very upset over this. :(

Kirbys Mom
11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
I know in Wisconsin designer dogs that are really popular are GoldenDoodles:Golden Retriver and Standrad Poodle and Puggles: Pug and Beagle

Jessika
11-05-2005, 06:51 PM
[...] but the idea in itself was flawed when you consider the fact that there is no hypoallergenic dog.

AHH THANK YOU!! I tell that to so many people and NOBODY BELIEVES ME!! Poodles are not hypoallergenic!! And anyone who thinks so is misinformed!

Giselle
11-05-2005, 06:54 PM
I also wanted to add: There will be a MASSIVE MASSIVE uproar before some of these designer mixes become recognized by any reputable kennel club (CanKC and AKC, for example). There are very few serious breeders who are actually trying to get their breeds recognized. Edit to add: This is because most designer mix breeders are still touting the "hybrid vigor" bunk, and if their dogs become recognised as purebreds, they have one less selling point.

Also, I hate to break it to ya, but genetics don't work that way. Just because Goldens, in general, are adoring, obedient, and easily trainable and Poodles, in general, are very intelligent does not mean that their offspring will be. You could just as easily end up with the worse of both breeds. You could very well end up with a neurotic Goldendoodle with debilitating hip dysplasia and PRA. The sad truth is, many designer mixes are like this. :(

Kirbys Mom
11-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Well no, But I only buy purebreds because I get to see their family, there AKC OR UKC Resgisted and I get a one year Health Guarntee. I have nothing against Mutts, I just Like Pure breds a whole lot better...and is willing to pay the high price...my point its worth it to a certain point...Mutts are good also, my friends have them and they are just as good as pures in my point but its wrong to sell a mix sayin it better than a pure.

Flatcoatluver
11-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Also, I hate to break it to ya, but genetics don't work that way. Just because Goldens, in general, are adoring, obedient, and easily trainable and Poodles, in general, are very intelligent does not mean that their offspring will be. You could just as easily end up with the worse of both breeds. You could very well end up with a neurotic Goldendoodle with debilitating hip dysplasia and PRA. The sad truth is, many designer mixes are like this. :(
Very true!!!!! Then the people that get that dog, will end up putting it in a shelter

Alysser
11-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Jessika is 100% correct. I am not agianst mixed breeds. They are truley great animals. Its just that hundreds of shelter dogs die every year and their price is about 100-200 dollars. While, people are breeding mixed breeds and selling them for over 800 dollars. There are millions of unwanted dogs and they are just making it worse.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Cute dogs, but sooo wrong, and makes me ery upset! :mad: :mad:

wolf_Q
11-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I am in NO WAY against mixed breed dogs. Every dog is wonderful, reguardless of pedigree! My point is that there are so many mixed breed dogs in shelters dying there is no need to be creating more of that! The same thing goes for backyard breeders creating purebred puppies who will also just end up in shelters. I'm not against reputable breeders who care about where their dogs end up and will take them back if the home doesn't work out so they don't end up in a shelter. If there wasn't such a huge problem of unwanted animals I wouldn't be against breeding mixed dogs just because they are cute either! ;)

And yes all 3 of my "purebred" dogs are from backyard breeders. I didn't know better then, but I do now. Doesn't mean I regret getting them or love them any less however!