PDA

View Full Version : Your worst nightmare

Dixie Belle
11-05-2005, 09:15 AM
When Belle started to favor her rear end, we got worried. When she stopped eating, we loaded her up and took her to the vet. After checking her and running bloodwork, he found that her white blood cells were through the roof. He gives her a shot and sends her home with a bottle of antibiotics. Before too long, she appears to be feeling better.

Then she starts to favor her rear end again. Her appetite starts to go bad. We plan to call the vet in the morning. Morning comes and she can't walk with her rear end. At all. I rush her to the vet instead of calling. She is taken straight to xray. The head vet comes in, finds out that she is there and runs back to xray to take her over. The xrays are ready. It's not good.

A disk is just ruined in her spine. She is completely paralized in her rear. She can't even pee. Her bladder is huge, it so full. She would have to go to a neurosurgeon for surgery to fix it. Or we can try a conservative treatment. That means he will drain her bladder for her and give her a round of steroids. We opt of that because honestly we can't afford a neurosurgeon.

The waiting game begins. A man in the waiting room offers his prayers for Belle. And we wait. For six hours I sit at home and image the worst. I'm not ready to let Belle go. What if the treatment doesn't help? We would have to put her to sleep. I cry. I pray. I worry. And I wait. Then the phone call comes.

She can wag her tail, says the vet. And I think she is feeling some pain in the legs. I want to keep her overnight and run more steroids. We will know for sure in the morning.

My son and I go to visit. We take her the blanket she likes to sleep on. She wants to go home. She has never spent the night at the vet's before. But we have to leave her. And the wait begins again.

Family members are calling now. How is she? So we tell them. They all take hope. They all pray. And we stay up almost all night worrying. Wondering, will it work? God, please let it work.....

Morning. The phone rings. I anwser. It's the vet's office. I hold my breath and hear the words...."come get her. She can finish her rehabilitation at home. She still can't walk yet, but she can use the bathroom on her own. And she was rolling around on the grass this morning. It's going to talk several weeks, but it looks good."

I hang up. I sit down. The tears of relief feel good. I start calling the family. She's coming home. I call my husband. You have a puppy dog to pick up.

In four more weeks, I will be giving birth to my second son. I am so glad that Belle will be here to welcome him home, like she was when I had my first son.

Oh, the journey is not over yet. We have to get her fully well from this, and even then the xray's showed that she is in the beginning stages of arthritis in her back, not to mention hip disease. But we will cross that bridge when we have too. Right now we celebrate.

BELLE IS COMING HOME!!!! BELLE IS COMING HOME!!!! BELLE IS COMING HOME!!!!!

poofy
11-05-2005, 09:20 AM
That made me feel like crying. :( .IM so glad she is coming home and will be keeping her in my thoughts of a complete recover..Poor Bella, take care and get well soon... :(

finn's mom
11-05-2005, 09:42 AM
I hope she makes a full recovery! Poor girl...

Toby's my baby
11-05-2005, 10:42 AM
OMG, that is so sad. I hope nothing happens to her again. {{Prayers}} and good thoughts coming your way, I am glad she is coming home!

chocolatepuppy
11-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Good thoughts and prayers headed Belles way.

Corinna
11-05-2005, 11:04 AM
so glad shes getting better .

.sarah
11-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Aww congrats on being able to bring her home! I'm fighting the tears right now. That must have been a very happy day for you. I hope she makes a full recovery and is there to greet your new baby!

anna_66
11-05-2005, 11:22 AM
When I first started reading I feared the worst, I'm glad to hear the outcome was so good and she's coming home! I couldn't be more happy for you, your family and Belle:D
Please keep us updated on how she's doing.
You'll all be in my thoughts and prayers Belle starts the healing process.

KYS
11-05-2005, 11:25 AM
This hits close to home with my senior dog.
My heart goes out to you and I hope Bella will have many
comfortable years ahead of her.

Jadapit
11-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Oh, that must have been horrible! :( I'm so glad she is coming home. Congrats to you on the new baby! :)

Ginger's Mom
11-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Good thoughts going out for you. I hope that Belle continues to improve.

RobiLee
11-05-2005, 07:20 PM
OMG..I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I'll be keeping Belle in my prayers and I'm sending out lots of positive healing vibes.

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I am so happy for you. SOO happy. Belle pulled through just for you! :)

buttercup132
11-05-2005, 07:38 PM
o geeze that dosent sound good! gl;ad she getting better though i would have been a nervous reck poor girl get better soon!!
when i first saw this thread i thought it was about posting about your wort nightmare and i read yours and was waiting for it to say thankg od it was all a dream..

Dixie Belle
11-05-2005, 09:06 PM
The ordel is not over. She hasn't been able to go to the bathroom by herself. If she can't start doing that...........Guys, please pray hard.

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I'll pray for her tonight and keep her in my prayers.

elizabethann
11-05-2005, 09:12 PM
OMG...what a nightmare! I'm so sorry you, your family & Belle had to go through that. I will be sending positive vibes to Belle in the hopes that she recovers in time to greet the new born.

Please keep us posted on her condition.

Daisy and Delilah
11-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Big thoughts and prayers are coming to Belle from Florida. Get well sweetheart!! :)

tricollie4me
11-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Hoping for an update soon...let us know how she did overnight. Extra comfort sent your way during this difficult time.

Karen
11-06-2005, 08:36 AM
C'mon, Belle, you can do it! You're in our prayers!

lv4dogs
11-07-2005, 10:18 AM
You's are in my prayers. hugs

Logan
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Oh Cheryl, I'm so sorry I am just seeing this now. I will pray and pray for her to be ok.

Logan

dab_20
11-07-2005, 10:31 AM
come on belle!! that is soooo sad. i really hope she doesnt get any worse. Prayers headed your way!!
keep us updated....