PDA

View Full Version : introducing 2 cats?!?! help

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Most of you probably read my other thread about getting another cat, Jupiter. Well Tinky seemed to be doing o.k. sniffing him under the door and pawing at him when we would crack it, she would occasionally hiss but nothing real mean. Well the hubby had this great idea to let Jupiter out and see what would happen...... well now Tinky wont stop growling and hissing at him when I crack the door so they can see each other. Did anyone else out there ever have to introduce two cats? How long does it take before Tinky may accept him? Any advice on something I can do to help her along? I just hate to see her so mad and hurt and I don't want Jupiter to feel unwelcome (he is kinda scardy cat) :( :confused: :(

sasvermont
03-26-2002, 01:56 PM
I would use a couple of baby gates stacked high...so that they can't eat each other but still sniff and see each other. That is how I have done it in the past....many of us have....I am sure you will get lots of good ideas from everyone!

Ear plugs help.

:rolleyes:

LoudLou
03-26-2002, 02:10 PM
I went through this when I brought home Bonzo. He was just about an 8wk. old kittten and Mocha Bean was 1yr. Mocha was VERY offended that I would bring ths little thing into HER house! It took us a few weeks, almost a month before She came to accept him. I was SO upset. My Husband (then he was just a neighbor) lived in the next Apt. and I kept running over to his house crying. Mocha was SO MAD at me for bringing him home. I finally just gave them both some space and they worked it out in about a month. I let Mocha find her own hiding places away from Bonzo and let her decide when it was safe. Right or wrong she only stayed REALLY mad for a day or two, after that she was just really stand-offish.......Now they are the best of friends....Well, sometimes;)

yumyum6970
03-26-2002, 02:13 PM
YumYum was about 4 or 5 months old when we got Dutchess who is 5 years old. We kept them separated for about a week and a half and would only let them out when we were at home. They are now best friends and will actually sit next to each other. They will even sit on daddy's lap together.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Good luck with kitties! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Sara, I think your cats are young enough that you will have no problems with them eventually becoming best of friends. Just give them time and space. The baby gates sound like a good idea so they can really check each other out, but not really get at each other. I think Tinky is just asserting her dominance and letting Jupiter know that this is her territory. And if Jupiter is kind of a scaredy cat, and we know what a fearless one Tinky is;) , Tinky will probably end up being the dominant one in the household.

I don't remember much about bringing Peanut home. My mom has a big house, so I don't think we separated them at all, we just let Peanut explore on her own terms and she eventually came out. But Tubby has always been the dominant one in the household. There was a point where I think Tubby wasn't feeling that good before I took him to the Vet and found out about his kidneys starting to fail that Peanut seemed to be taking over. but now that Tubby is feeling better - he's back! And they have never really been best of friends where they will curl up together and such, but they get along just fine and don't tear each other up too bad. :rolleyes: Just kidding. :)

I'm sure your two will end up being the best of buddies in a few days. They just need time. Keep us updated though, and don't forget those pictures! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Lucy Jane (RB now) was an only cat for about 4 years. Then Leroy showed up and would not go away. He would run round and round the house outside at night yelling his head off. Out of concern for not only my sleep, but the rest of the neighborhood, I took him in. Lucy did not like that at all. She would hiss and growl down deep in her throat like she was going to attack. Oh, not Leroy, ME! She was so mad at me, it took her months to forgive me. Leroy, she put in his place with one or two swats with her paw. She growled at me for a long time. After that, when I brought a new member into the house, she would get a pained look on her face and give me the old, MOM MAKE IT GO AWAY, look.

When I introduced Chester two years ago, I just set him down in one room and let them all discover each other. There were hisses and a slap or two but for the most part they got on ok. He is best buds with Luke now. Leonardo likes to still put him in his place now and then by chasing him but nothing major. Chester is now getting where he gives it back and chases Leonardo. There were times I thought I'd lost my mind, but it was worth it. :D