PDA

View Full Version : Update on mom & her reaction to idiots....

catnapper
11-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I talked to mom tonight and she's having some setbacks with Pouncer's bite. Even though we went to the ER and they gave her antibiotic cream, and she filled her prescription for antibiotics, an infection DID set in on her hand -- on the one puncture she kept telling me in the hosptial didn't even "count" becuase it was so little (yes, I made a point of showing the doctor that puncture because mom was so certain it wasn't worth mentioning). She keeps thanking me for rushing her to the ER... she and her doctor want to know how badly infected it would have been if I did not do that. I keep telling her that I KNEW this would happen (thanks PT I wouldn't have known if not for everyone's experiences here!!)

Mom's amazed at how much pain this has caused and she told me all about the reaction of the people that come through her line at work (she runs a cash register in a cafeteria). She said its a direct 50/50 split in the reactions. Half the people say, "oh, poor cat. Is he ok?" The other half ask "Is that cat still alive?" And she says they MEAN it, they really expect her to say we put him to sleep. :mad:

Mom tries her best to expain that he was hanging upside down from his caught paw and only bit her out of pain and fear. She says people honestly feel they shouldn't bite no matter the circumstances... and she told those idiots that if they bumped her swollen, infected hand that SHE might bite THEM... and would they put her to sleep? Way to go mom!

Thanks to everyone who's asked about mom and prayed for her.

PS: Pouncer is doing well. He's starting to put a litte weight on the wrapped foot and has been walking around, instead of staying put for hours on end. He doesn't look so pitiful, and I honestly think his new diet upsets him more than the splint -- he HATES the new wet food and wants nothing more than HIS treats. I hate that I can no longer give him his old wet food and favorite treats. Harry hasn't been complaining because he gets to eat all of Pouncer's left over wet food (at the price of prescription wet food, I won't be buying that again! :eek: )

rg_girlca
11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
If your Mom thinks it is painful now, just imagine how bad it would have been if she didn't go to the ER right away. :eek:

My sister had the same reaction from people when her cat bit her also. Someone even told her that if it was their cat that bit them, they would have killed it right then and there. Yeah, right! All talk as far as I'm concerned.

I hope your Mom is feeling better today Kim and I'm so glad to hear that Pouncer is doing much better.

That's so hard for them when you have to switch their food when they are use to another.

Hang in there Kim.

Sending ((((((HUGS)))))) your way.

jenluckenbach
11-05-2005, 05:15 AM
WOW, I can't believe one spot got infected even with cream and antibiotics. That's scarey! What else could have been done? But at least it is getting better now. Cat bites are VERY painful, I have had some doosies, and they sweel, and the throb.......:(

I know how nasty and unreasonable people can be. Pouncer had just BROKEN his toes! What exactly did they expect him to do?

orangemm
11-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Yes! Yay for your mom!!! That was exactly the right response (I wish I could think of comebacks like that! :( ).

I've never suffered a cat bite, so I'm glad that I'm hearing this in case it ever happens, so I know what to do.

So glad everyone is improving; will keep good thoughts and prayers going for both of them...and YOU! :)

Sonia59
11-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Poor idiot people! I say "poor" because these ones will probably never know what a joy it is to share their life with a cat.

I hope your mom is feeling better now and that Pouncer will soon forget this horrible accident. ;)

smokey the elder
11-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Pain can radically change a cat's personality. Not to hijack, but I had a foster that had just had an operation. I touched her wrong, close to the incision, by accident and she freaked! As she recovered, she became sweeter and sweeter. This is just an occupational hazard of being around cats. I hope your mom's hand feels better.

Soapets
11-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Is the infection improving on the antibiotics? I am glad your mom stuck up for poor Pouncer! And I am glad Pouncer is doing so much better.

My son was badly bitten by a frightened, hurting cat when my son was just three years old. He was staying at my sister-in-law's house for the day, and he went out the screen door and didn't hold it open long enough for the cat to get all the way outside, and the door accidently slammed on her tail. The dog outside started barking at the cat, and the cat jumped onto the nearest thing she could, which was Alex, and dug her teeth and claws into his shoulder and back! He still has scars on his shoulder from it, and he is 16 now.

But even at the tender age of three, Alex seemed to understand that the cat had been very frightened and hurt, and that it wasn't the cat's fault. He never felt a grudge or anything against the cat, and the next time he saw the cat he even went and gave her a hug! I am so glad that he didn't develop a fear of cats, or even worse, a hatred for cats, after that incident!

Deb

lizbud
11-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I am a little surprised that the Doctor didn't give your mom a shot of an
antibiotic along with the external cream for her bite.I know I can't get even
a scratch without it turning inflamed & sore. Can't imagine what a bite would do. I'm glad she's healing up well. As to those idiots.....well they are idiots. :)

momcat
11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Good for you, Mom!!! And thank you for setting those ignorant jerks straight about Pouncer. All Pouncer knew was that he was hurting and he was scared that it might hurt even more by your trying to help. Poor kitty didn't understand what was happening to him. Pouncer isn't a mean kitty, he's a real sweetheart. Put him to sleep for this one incident? I think not. So sorry to hear about your infection and hope it clears up very soon. Did they give you a tetanus shot? If not, you might want to ask your doctor about it. Prayers being prayed for your quick recovery and that your pain will stop very soon. Thank you so much for being so understanding about poor Pouncer!

kimlovescats
11-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I've been away a while, but I think I am now piecing the puzzle together? Pouncer broke his toes while getting his claws caught in your mom's hand, and bit her in the process!!!??? :eek: OH my gosh ... what a horrible chain of events, Kim! I'm glad to hear things are starting to be on the mend now, but geez ... poor EVERYONE!!! :(

(((((HUGS)))))
Kim

Barbara
11-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Kim, Catnapper Kim's mom wanted to free Pouncer whose paw was caught in whatever... that's how she got bitten.

I am so glad she went to the ER- I have made the experience that even small scratches can produce an inflammation- cats don't desinfect their teeth and claws regularly ;) but who could think that a cat mad of pain and fear could control his bite in a moment like this?

These people are making me mad :mad:

kimlovescats
11-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh I know ... no doubt Pouncer was just reacting from pain and fear ... poor baby! I'm also very relieved that Kim knew from PT that her mom needed emergency care ASAP!

Kim

catnapper
11-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Barbara for helping Kim. Kim, yes, he was walking along the bookcase hutch in my office (essentially a bookcase with a door that opens upward and over the top of the bookcase) he being the graceful boy that he is, slipped while walking along there, and his paw got caught in the groove between the door and front of the bookcase. He fell, hanging upside down while his paw was still caught in the gap. Mom saw it happen. I wasn't even in the room, and she tried to catch him and free his paw. He of course reacted in pain and frear and bit into mom. I never saw anything like it -- bood just pouring from her wrist. He clamoped around her wrist GOOD.... both top and bottom of her wrist were punctured. As soon as I saw it, I ran to turn the faucet on in the kitchen, ran for a towel (also cheked on Pouncer briefly) and grabbed my keys. Mom was in the car heading to the hospital before she knew what had hit her. She kept swearing I was being ridiculous and over reacting.

The hopsital cleaned the wound, bandaged it, gave her a prescription for antibiotics, and a tetanus shot. They dsaid she didn't need intraveinous since she got there so fast - it was still bleeding when we were seen by the doctor. Good thing I live ony a few blocks from the hospital! Good thing it was 10 AM on a Sunday - nobody else was in the ER! :D

kimlovescats
11-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Oh my goodness!!! :eek: Quick thinking, Kim!!! Remind me to have my next traumatic accident with you around! :D

catmandu
11-05-2005, 05:16 PM
When I was in the Hospital last year a Police Officer came in,with a swollen hand.
He was a strapping Young Fellow,a decortaed Officer who had been in many raids,and had commendations for bravery.
He was in for a Kitten Scratch when he was catching a Kitten,that someone threw in with his German Shephards.
I saw him downtown not long ago,and The Dogs and the Cat are the best of Pals now.
He was suprised how much damage the Kitten could do.

Killearn Kitties
11-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Oh Kim, I'm sorry that your mum's puncture got infected! I'm so glad she is coming along though and doesn't hate Pouncer for it!

moosmom
11-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I've gotten bit so many times, I've lost count. Only one time did I end up in the ER after I got bit by a pregnant stray I was trying to catch. Dumb idea not wearing gloves.

I say good for your Mom. Those people ARE idiots. Poor Pouncer WAS reacting out of fear and pain. Remember when one of the kittens got his paw caught in the heat ducts? He bit me. Wasn't bad though. The one rule of thumb that I go by is, if you get bit, douse it with Hydrogen Peroxide and keep an eye on it. If an infection is there, you'll see a red line traveling up the infected site.