PDA

View Full Version : Prong collars?

JenBKR
11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on prong collars. Our trainer recommended one for Roscoe, and it has been working wonders! Anyone else ever use one?

pitc9
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
I was told to get a prong collar for Sierra because she pulled so hard when I tried to walk her and she's so BULL HEADED!!!!!
But I just couldn't stand the though of those prongs on my little baby girl's neck!
So I did something better. I made it my mission in life to teach her how to walk on a leash with out pulling!!! :D
It took a lot of time, and she's still no angel :o but she much better!
Dog behaviorists will tell you to use what ever tool helps in order to get and keep their attention. If it works, then great! Just make sure you are not doing any damage! Sometimes dogs will be so "Locked In" on something and will be pulling and pulling trying to get at whatever it is, and it wont' even faze them that the prongs are digging into their necks! That's when damage can be done. You could always get the rubber caps that you can put on the ends to make it a little less intense.

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 11:08 AM
All training collars must be used properly for the safety of the animal and to accomplish desired results.

With that said prong collars are awesome. I actually like prongs better than choke collars. They distribute the pressure more evenly therefore eliminating potential injuries with the dogs throat/trachea & area. Chokes are commonly known to cause damage to your dogs throat area.

They also now make plastic prong collars too. They are supposed to be a little easier on your dog for "soft" dogs or very short thin haired dogs.

The martingale collar is awesome. Very similar to a choke but again it distributes the pressure more evenly.

finn's mom
11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm okay with them as long as they are used properly. I didn't really think I was using it correctly with Finn, so, I took it off of him after only a couple of days. But, I will say that I tested one at the pet store on my own leg, and, it didn't hurt at all! I figured if it didn't hurt on my bare skin, it wouldn't hurt Finn, either. And, he wasn't bothered by it at all. I tried the chain collar (choke collar) on my leg, too, and, was bruised for about a week. That sucked, so, I'll never use one of those. If I was trained properly on how to use the prong collar, I'd use one again, if it was necessary.

Glacier
11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I will say that I tested one at the pet store on my own leg, and, it didn't hurt at all! I figured if it didn't hurt on my bare skin, it wouldn't hurt Finn, either. And, he wasn't bothered by it at all. I tried the chain collar (choke collar) on my leg, too, and, was bruised for about a week.

LOL! I thought I was the only fool who did that!

I use a prong collar on Kayleigh occasionally, usually when we are going somewhere like the vet clinic, where she's likely to be anxious to start with and then exposed to a bunch of strange animals. Kayleigh has a very high prey drive and is aggressive to other dogs. The prong makes it easier to control her in those situations. On a regular walk, she doesn't need one anymore.

finn's mom
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM

ha ha, nah...i can be pretty foolish, too. ;) glad i'm not alone. :D

JenBKR
11-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Our trainer worked with us on how to use it properly. We have been having some behavioral problems with Roscoe (he was not neutered until he was a little over 3 years old, so our trainer thinks that has something to do with it ;) ). I can't believe how much better he is on it. We only put it on him for training and walks, all other times just his regular collar is on.

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
ha ha, nah...i can be pretty foolish, too. ;) glad i'm not alone. :D

Nope, neither of you are alone. lol, I've done that too, with all types of collars. Of course I test most things that I use/feed to my dogs. (insert blushing face here) :D

pnance
11-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Nope, neither of you are alone. lol, I've done that too, with all types of collars. Of course I test most things that I use/feed to my dogs. (insert blushing face here) :D

I've done it to. At least I'm not alone. :D

I use a prong on Nikka and Hunter. Hunter actually doesn't need one anymore, but Nikka will pull if she's not wearing hers. I tried everthing from harness, gentle leader, collar, choke (she about killed herself on that), etc., finally a trainer recommended a prong and I can finally walk her w/o getting a soar arm from her pulling ;)

areias
11-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I use a prong collar on Boomer. I think they're absolutely great for initial training, then I find that you can slowly shed the use of it, versus a halti or a choke chain.

They also now make plastic prong collars too. They are supposed to be a little easier on your dog for "soft" dogs or very short thin haired dogs.

I've seen those-it's like triangle pieces put together, right?

anna_66
11-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I used one on Roxey when she was young and it worked wonders. After just a few lessons she was great. I do use a choker when we go out for walks because if she decided she REALLY wanted something she could slip right out of her regular collar.

I use one on Bon now because he is such a big boy and a lot to handle. I feel much more in control. I've thought of trying a martingale collar but I'm not sure where I could get one to slide over his big ol' head:)

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I used one on Roxey when she was young and it worked wonders. After just a few lessons she was great. I do use a choker when we go out for walks because if she decided she REALLY wanted something she could slip right out of her regular collar.

I use one on Bon now because he is such a big boy and a lot to handle. I feel much more in control. I've thought of trying a martingale collar but I'm not sure where I could get one to slide over his big ol' head:)

Some of the martingale collars have snaps, so you can adjust it to size & snap it on around the neck like a regular collar instead of putting it over the dogs head.

Thandi
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
I also tried everything with Mika, she's totally impossible on a leash if there's another dog in sight. The prong has been the most successful, followed by the Premier easy walk harness http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74, which works so much better than any other harnesses I tried. Her prong is only used when she's on a walk at home, when we go to the dog park she has her martingale, at home she has the breakaway collar because she and Chloe are always dragging each other around by the collar! http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74

The breakaway is great, except when you need to hold them for some reason, then it's a disaster. Or when Chloe runs away and we need to catch her--it has to be a body block rather than grabbing the collar, which would just snap off in our hands!

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I use a prong collar on Boomer. I think they're absolutely great for initial training, then I find that you can slowly shed the use of it, versus a halti or a choke chain.

I've seen those-it's like triangle pieces put together, right?

Yeah! I tried finding a pic for you but I couldn't.

areias
11-04-2005, 03:20 PM
They are hard to find..here we go.
http://www.pooch.ca/item1145.htm

I was curious how this one works? I can't decide if it dosen't look effective or way too harsh...lol.
http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-collars/prong-collars-pinch-collars/nylon-prong-training-collar.html

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I was curious how this one works? I can't decide if it dosen't look effective or way too harsh...lol.
http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-collars/prong-collars-pinch-collars/nylon-prong-training-collar.html

I saw that too & was wondering the same thing. I don't really like the looks of it.

Jessika
11-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Just for reference I wanted to let everyone know (in case you don't already) that collars like prong and choke are NOT to be substituted for every day collars! They are for training ONLY! I was watching animal cops and this lady adopted a rescued doberman who had a collar embeded two inches into its neck on one side. After she was all better, they showed her at her new house, and her mom had a choke collar on her with tags for an every day collar!! Ahhhh!! Especially considering her background you'd think that you wouldn't DO that!! :( So please guys just keep that in mind. I know this is slightly off-topic but I just wanted to throw this warning out so everyone knows!

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Just for reference I wanted to let everyone know (in case you don't already) that collars like prong and choke are NOT to be substituted for every day collars! They are for training ONLY! I was watching animal cops and this lady adopted a rescued doberman who had a collar embeded two inches into its neck on one side. After she was all better, they showed her at her new house, and her mom had a choke collar on her with tags for an every day collar!! Ahhhh!! Especially considering her background you'd think that you wouldn't DO that!! :( So please guys just keep that in mind. I know this is slightly off-topic but I just wanted to throw this warning out so everyone knows!

Thanks for bringing that up, I knew I left something out that I wanted to add! ;)

.sarah
11-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I love love love love love prong collars! Nova is nearing the end of her training. Usually she is okay with out a prong but in some situations she still needs one. Coming from an 18 lb puppy who would NOT stop pulling this is very exciting for me! I've never had a dog who didn't pull :rolleyes:

Mandy and Luka are both in training with one right now, too. :)

sammy101
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Kodie wears one when we go for walks. It's worked wonders with him. I like them as a long as there used properly.

Just wondering,when you guys use them,do you keep there daily collar on or take them off? I leave Kodies on incase he slips out of it(which is almost impossible :p )

areias
11-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I saw that too & was wondering the same thing. I don't really like the looks of it.

I don't think it would distribute the pressure well...

Lady's Human
11-04-2005, 03:46 PM
After attempting to train lady to walk on a leash using treats, praise, etc, I tried using a choke collar on her. It did no good, it just proved that when she has a scent there's NOTHING that's going to distract her from following it. I thought about a prong collar, but then remembered how she was with a choke collar. (She would literally pull herself hoarse, didn't even think about the collar) I dealt with her pulling for a while, and then decided to try a harness. The harness worked wonders. When she's wearing the harness, I can lead her with one hand, even a couple fingers.

areias
11-04-2005, 03:46 PM

No, absolutely. Choke collars should not be left on unless your directly working with the dog. You don't know how many dogs came in with their tags on their choke collars, to the boarding kennel. We had one dog, a Keeshond mix, that was there I few days and I was letting her out, and her neck just looked funny. I put my hands under that huge coat and there was an absolutely tiny choke collar on her, it took three people to get it off. It wasn't embedded, but close to it. It was about the size I would use for a Vizsla!

lv4dogs
11-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Just wondering,when you guys use them,do you keep there daily collar on or take them off? I leave Kodies on incase he slips out of it(which is almost impossible :p )

I haven't used a prong in a long time. Kaige is the only one who ever wears a training collar & so far the matingale is working good for him. But with any training collar that I have used, do use or will use I have only that collar on him to prevent the 2 collars from interfering with each other. But I always bring a spare collar just in case.

JenBKR
11-04-2005, 03:59 PM

I usually leave both on - but Roscoe's neck is so huge ;) that they are not usually anywhere near touching.

I was pretty nervous getting the prong at first, but since learning how to use it our walks are so much more enjoyable. Roscoe weighs about 85 lbs, so he used to take ME for a walk! :D Once he ran off towards a bunny and 'took' me with him...on my butt :rolleyes: Since getting the prong my life is easier!

lizbud
11-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I've used a prong collar for all my dogs. One change I made for Smokey
and Maggie is putting the rubber tips on the prongs. They don't have the
heavy ruff that Buddy did. I really thought I'd have to stop walking Smokey
at one point as he was so bad on lead. The prong collar was like a miracle. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I've used a prong collar on Echo and Tango and they worked really well. Tango only got it a few times just for training and now she walks really well on a leash. Keeva might have to use it one of these days if she doesn't get any better on walks and Winston has never had to have one.

Toby's my baby
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
I have used them before, but not on any of my dogs. I used one on my cousins dog Buddy, he is a lab/ rottie and is HUGE and STRONG! It worked REALLLY well. I like them I guess.

Kari! I cant believe you had a bruise on your leg for a week, im never going to use those again! :eek:

Vette
11-04-2005, 05:00 PM
I think a lot of people get the wrong impression about Prong collars. they think its a bunch of pointy sharp brissles going into your dogs neck when it pulls on the leash and causes pain.... and frankley they look like something out of a med evil tourcher chamer doesnt help either.

but they really do not hurt.
someon said it reminds the dog of another dog grabbing it by the scruff its neck to 'repermend it' much like a mother dog would do when her puppy gets a little too over baring.

ill be hoesnt,, at first glance at prong collar i said 'who the frick would use that on their dog?' and started browsing the web and found a webpage about a dude who uses a prong collar for his Mastiff and it has changed my opinion about prong collars for the better,, even though i havent ever used one.

king2005
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
My ex-friends, Rocky the Rottie, broke a harness, choaker, & a halti!! Boy was a Ped off when he broke all my things. Well I had given up on him & decided to get her dad to give us money for a prong collar.

I loved Rocky & really wanted to be able to walk him. Well the prong did a great job, he never pulled (or dragged me for blocks & blocks & blocks, until my weight made him tired & I was 150p at that time).

Just look how big he was. He had is spiked collar on for the Pro. photos, but he always had to be walked with the prong. It was too risky with him being a guard dog & all. I even used the prong & a muzzle to teach him to stop trying to kill dogs left right & centre, thats why Max was able to be in the Pro. Photo. I miss those two big dorks hehe, they made a wild team.

http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album09/pro_photo.sized.jpg

Bigyummydog
11-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Me too! No blushing. I put it on my bare leg at the store before I bought it too.

ill be hoesnt,, at first glance at prong collar i said 'who the frick would use that on their dog?'
I thought the same thing. It is a creepy looking thing. But, if it's going to keep both of us safe, we're keeping it. My sister and I have been looking for one for her BLIZZARD. He's, I think, around 110-15lbs. And still a puppy.
MAXIMUS gets excited when I pick up his ugly collar and can't stop doing flippys, he knows we're going out. He ONLY wears it when we're walking, and he wears it above his regular collar.

poofy
11-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I was wondering what I could use on SammyJ when we went out in public which we dont much, but hes really going to hurt himself someday by pulling to hard, I have to keep a really short leash to keep him trained in..I dont use a leash at home unless we leave the property, so theres no problem there, but when we went to the pet store my word he had me worried, afraid of him hurting himself that prog collar might be good..

wolf_Q
11-05-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm shocked this thread has managed 3 pages without an argument. :eek: There's been several prong collar threads and they all have turned into just that...

I personally think that although prong collars look awful, they are better than choke collars. A prong collar has limited tightening, where a choke collar will literally choke the dog in seconds. I've also tried them on myself (my arm) it it was not painful just a discomfort.

I have one (with plastic tips) though I don't use it often. I have a halti too and he absolutely HATES that thing, he's simply miserable walking with that and the prong doesn't phase him. Most times I just walk him with his harness or regular collar, it's mostly when there's a lot of people and dogs around he's harder to control. And yes I have tried many methods to train him to walk nicely, and he is capable of heeling but if there's distractions around he goes into ignore mode. Siberian Husky= selective hearing+stubborness+desire to run and pull

I hate when people leave training collars on the dogs all the time or use them incorrectly. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the prong collar was a self correcting collar......as in they pull, it tightens.....not the owner jerking on it. There's a lady that brings her dog in to be groomed and I HATE how she uses the prong collar, it really is a torture device in this case. :( He's a big young dog (malamute mix) and very hyper. The last time she came in the prong collar was on so tight it took me at least 15 minutes just to pry it apart to get it off...the collar was all stuck in his fur too. I think she leaves it on all the time like that. She specifically told me that her trainer said that it was on correct (I'd like to smack the trainer!). She also jerks on the leash all the time if he won't sit, etc. and by his reaction you can tell it hurts him...and she really jerks on it too....a prong collar tightening from pulling is one thing, but a hard jerk like that has to hurt!

JenBKR
11-05-2005, 07:24 AM
. MAXIMUS gets excited when I pick up his ugly collar and can't stop doing flippys, he knows we're going out. He ONLY wears it when we're walking, and he wears it above his regular collar.

LOL Roscoe too! I pull out that collar, and he goes nuts! He knows we are going for a walk or ride (the ride would be to obedience class, which he loves ;) - he has a girlfriend there!)

Poofy I definitely recommend the prong collars, but you would probably want the rubber tips because SammyJ is so small. Roscoe is NOT small ;) so I don't use them.

Jadapit
11-05-2005, 08:05 AM
I use the prong collar on all 3 of mine. I dont know how many of you have ever walked a pittie they are so, so strong. Right Barbra? ;) I walk all 3 of my fur kids at once a lot. I need the extra control with that many dogs.

My fur kids also go nuts when they see their collars come out. They know that means a walk. :) I would NEVER leave them on my dogs as a regular collar. They come off the minute we are home from our walk.

RobiLee
11-05-2005, 08:42 AM
I use the prong collar. I swore I would never use such a thing but I was having such a hard time walking my girls that I caved. I can now walk both of my dogs at the same time without any problems. If I thought that it was hurting my girls in any way I would not use it.

wolfie
11-05-2005, 11:44 PM
I like the prong collar better than choke collars too. Choke collars do hurt, and you end up yanking on your dog's neck far too often. Prong collars (you're right Amy), you don't even have to yank.

I don't have to use any training collar for Daphne now though.

Love4BCs
11-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Are prong collars the ones with "spikes" on them that "pinch" the dog? Because, if you put it on your arm, they really don't hurt...

Shelteez2
11-06-2005, 12:11 AM

You think you're a fool for that?? I put a prong and a choke chain around my neck to see what it was like... oh and a shock collar....

Jessika
11-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Are prong collars the ones with "spikes" on them that "pinch" the dog? Because, if you put it on your arm, they really don't hurt...

Yup, they are!

Suki Wingy
11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
We can not walk out of the house without either the prong or the harness and Niņo thinks the harness means pull, so yes, we LOVE prongs.