PDA

View Full Version : Tigress sick again

wayne0214
03-26-2002, 05:36 AM
Tigress, my little lilac/lynx point Siamese is barfing again this morning. it seems as though she can not digest dry cat food. If I feed her canned food only (and have to hide her from the others, or otherwise they will take it from her) then she is OK. Is this limited diet a normality with some cats? I'm thinking that perhaps this dietary problem is caused by the cereals and other non-cat diet type of things in dry food, as none of my other furkids has this problem.

........wayne:confused:

sasvermont
03-26-2002, 07:33 AM
I think your kitty may have a tummy that needs special food. There are all kinds of special diets - furball oriented, blah blah blah. My guys are on WD Prescription Science diet because they had blood in their stools quite often. I do give them 1/2 of wet food each night, to share, so they do have some wet food to go with their lousey dry food. I would feed her alone, and give her the food that she can keep down. You might want to try to keep her teeth brushed as well, since dry food keeps their teeth cleaner and if she isn't eating dry food, then her teeth will probably get tartar on them much more quickly.

A call to the Vet might help as well. They may just give you a suggestion over the phone.

Good luck.:)

lailamara
03-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Had this problem with Bodhi my new kitten. He kept throwing up the dry Science Diet Kitten food minutes after eating. I too tried wet food and like your kitty no problem but I think dry is best as a staple food. I switched him to Wysong, a lower fat but high quality dry kitten food and he's fine. Maybe she feels she has to get her share before the other guys come in .The first ingredients listed on the cat food bag should be meat not cereal products because they are usually listed in what there is most of first. I also gave him some low fat plain yoghurt ( read somewhere this was good for them). Good luck I know how wrrying this can be. Gotta run Maya's figured out how to jump on the piano and is clearing off my knick-knack collection.:eek:

wayne0214
03-26-2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies, all. Yes, it does appear that Tigress is "alergic" to dry cat food. And it has crossed my mind about keeping her teeth clean, if she can only eat canned food. She will nibble some dry food, but then, if she eats too much of it, she gets sick and begins to barf it up. Even though this morning she barfed up the dry food, I gave her another small can of cat food, which she immediately ate, and then began to run through the house with Fawn, chasing each other! As it is now, I feed her canned food in a pet carrier with the door latched shut, but not enough for her not to be able to get out, when she has finished eating. This arrangement works OK because it keeps the others out. Tigress is also the same cat who eats practically everything I eat. Therefore, I will purposely leave some cat-type food leftovers for her to eat and/or lick up. BTW. she loves yoghurt, and she gets what is on the lid of the container. I'm wondering if this will help her digest dry food?

...........wayne

Logan
03-26-2002, 03:13 PM
Mimi sympathizes, Wayne, as it seems that all she can tolerate is canned food anymore. Dry food is thrown up immediately, but Mimi is a senior girl. I can't remember about your Tigress. My vet and I are working on a good solution for Mimi, so I don't feed Fancy Feast exclusively. But with only about 6 pounds to spare, it is a frightening thing, wondering what in the world to do, keeping some fat on her, and keepiing her from throwing up.

Let me know what you find out.

Logan

nsweezie
03-27-2002, 09:27 AM
My cat Scooter is alergic to some types of dried food. He will eat it, and then get sick about 1/2 hour later. The vet thinks that he is sensitive to the preservatives or dyes or something in the dried food, so he only gets one kind of dried food now.
He has never had a problem with canned food.

K & L
03-27-2002, 09:59 AM
Have you tried Science Diet for sensitive stomachs? Seemed to work for one of our cats that was doing the same thing. Now we just feed it to all of them, a bit pricey but not as much as a vet bill.

purrley
03-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Wayne - I can sure sympathize with ya - my Spencer has been a puker all his life and I haven't been able to fix it. I just deal with it. The other day he was laying on me and I knew he was going to throw up so I put him in the downstairs bathroom which is the only tile floor in the house and he just cried and cried. No puke happened until I let him out - then he went up the stairs and puked. Another clean up job:( :( Oh well guess I ought to be used to it after 8 years huh;)

AmberLee
03-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Purrley,

A while back I was told or read that puking cats almost always cling with their claws while they puke. Now when I hear the signs starting up I try to herd the puker into either the bathroom or kitchen (no carpet), but onto a throw rug so they can cling to something. I've had rather mixed results, but even 50% fewer carpet messes is a help. Maybe you could toss a towel on the bathroom floor and cuddle Spencer there?

Just a thought.

purrley
03-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Thankyou Amberlee - I didn't know that. Next time I'll definately try that:)

wayne0214
03-29-2002, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the replies, all. Sorry about being so late with an update on Tigress. She can tolerate a little dry food. but I have had no problems with her since feeding her on canned food only. I have noticed that her food intake is small, and she eats constantly if I leave some canned food out for her. Tigress is otherwise very healthy and plays alot, and can be counted on to sleep with me on the bed at night. She is about 8 months old, and is the same kitten that I took from some teen-aged girls who were, giving her away -in a restaurant, no less!