PDA

View Full Version : Jenna's eye is really bad

chrissea
11-03-2005, 02:17 PM
For over a year now my shih tzu of 13 years has had a cyst on her jaw which is pushing out her eye. We paid $110 per month to have it drained to keep her comfortable but now she does it herself. The vet now wants to remove her eye and part of her jaw. We will not go there at her age. They do not know what it is. Has anyone out there experienced this with a pet? She does not seem to be in any pain and is still a wonderful dog

.sarah
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh man :( I've never even heard of this happening! Poor girl! I wish you all the best of luck.

Ginger's Mom
11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi Chrissea. I am sorry to hear about your furbabies eye. I have never had to deal with that kind of problem with my own dog, but there are two other people on here who have had to have their dogs eye removed for various reasons. Both dogs are doing fine and thriving. Here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=76488) is a link to a thread about Tobi, and the other dog (Mr. Darcy) is mentioned on page two. I know that your concern is also based upon your little girl's age. Talk to your doctor about that, if she is otherwise healthy, what are the risks. In any case, I really am sorry, and I wish you and your baby the best of luck.

dragondawg
11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I've heard of Nasal sarcoma spreading to the eye, and probably it's reasonable for oral cancer to spread in that direction. If the eye is open and draining you have limited options, as infection is a serious risk. You could consider having the eye removed, but not the jaw? While under they could take an ultrasound and see if there is other evidence of metastasis, that could be treated with Chemo afterwards. Good luck in your decision.

chrissea
11-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Thank you Sarah for your reply. Jenna also has a heart murmur (sp). My heart is breaking because she still plays like a puppy, throwing her toys in the air. I think she maybe hiding pain because she has it so good here. She does sleep alot but she is my little old lady.
I see you have a Lab. My daughter has one. He is the BEST dog in the world. She trained him. I am going to tell her about this site. "Bryer" has a rash problem but has gone on fish food. It is helping him.

KYS
11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your little girl.
I wonder if removing her eye alone is an option?
Sending many good thoughts your way.

solares412
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
There was a cat who had a really big cyst on her stomach. It kept draining but wouldn't dry up. She was given 500 mg of Vitamin C split up into two portions so that would be 250 mg twice a day. Just the regular vitamin C not the time release or chewable. The cyst dried up. Did you also look into cryosurgery?Very effective.I can pm you info on it if you want.

anna_66
11-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the problem Jenna is having:( I hope you can come to some decision to make things better for her.
I'll be keeping her in my thoughts.

Pam
11-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I am sorry to have to meet you under such circumstances. I know how how hard it is to see our beloved dogs age and develop these kinds of things. I hope that you still have lots of time left with Jenna.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Welcome to PT - I am sorry to hear about your beloved Jenna, she sounds wonderful......

dab_20
11-28-2005, 11:09 AM
I am sorry to hear about Jenna. It is so hard when dogs age and have to go through these things. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.