PDA

View Full Version : Computer/DSL Related Question - Need Tech Help! :)

christa
11-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me here before I have to call my DSL tech line. I'm in no mood to be on hold all night!

Here's the problem with my DSL:

Obviously it's working right now. If we leave the computer for awhile, like more than an hour, and come back, the internet will not work.

So . . . I've been having to unplug my DSL router, turn off my computer, wait a minute, plug it back in, wait for all the lights to light and turn my computer back on.

We've NEVER had a problem with our DSL. The only reason I knew to reset it is because that's the first thing they had me do when we first got it and she mentioned that sometimes I might have to reset the router.

I think something's wrong though . . . I had to reset it 2x's last night and about 5x's today!

Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to have to call customer service!

christa
11-02-2005, 08:15 PM
bump
:confused: :eek: :confused:

RedHedd
11-02-2005, 08:22 PM
You did the right thing to "reboot" your DSL modem/router. That is exactly the same thing tech support will tell you to do. I'd call tech support and talk to India :rolleyes: Of course, they would NEVER tell you it's a problem on their end, but it sounds like it to me. Make a bowl of popcorn and have drinks ready to enjoy whilst you're on hold .... :rolleyes: Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

catnapper
11-02-2005, 09:13 PM
You sound like me last month!

I called dozens of times and finaly got my frustrated point across. They came out, and gave me a dedicated DSL line and then replaced alllll the wires from the telephone pole to my house. Whhheeeee... I"m back up and running full speed. But, man what a frustrating week that was without internet and Verizon took it sweet time realizing it was THEIR fault, not mine.

Do you have Verizon? What modem do you have?

This is the link they gave me to test the modem: http://192.168.1.1/

This is the link they gave me to test speed: http://infospeed.verizon.net/speedtest/

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-02-2005, 09:50 PM
You might want to try checking for viruses and spyware/adware.

spybot is a good spyware checker. Don't remember the address, but just google for spybot and you should be able to find it.

Have you cleared your internet cache, cookies and all that good stuff? Not saying this will work, but it's stuff the tech will probably ask you and when you say no you haven't done it, they will determine the problem is not theirs and you'll end up having to do it anyway.

It could be that they are having a problem in your area. Instead of waiting on hold, you could check their website. If there is a widespread problem, they will usually post something on the website to try and cut down on phone calls.

I have DSL at work, and I know when it rains there are usually connection problems and my speed slows waaaaay down. They swear there is no problem, and fortunately it hasn't rained much this summer, so it really hasn't been an issue lately. Maybe your issue is something similar and is only temporary?

Like everybody else, sorry I couldn't be much help, but I would check their website first - they may also have trouble shooting tips to check before making that frustrating call - ugh!

Jessika
11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
I don't believe that your problem lies with ad- or spyware, this is actually the classic signs of your modem or router going out actually.

DSL is a very unstable connection to begin with -- is it raining outside right now? It is unusually hot or cold?? Are you up or down a hill?? All these things can affect your internet speed when it comes to DSL.

If the problem continues the ONLY suggestion I have is to call your customer support. Like someone above me said though OF COURSE they will never admit to it being a problem on their end, its ALWAYS the customers' fault :rolleyes:

Good luck though!

anna_66
11-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Sounds just like what happened to us not long ago. Luckily our internet is through our cable (Time Warner/Roadrunner) so we didn't have to wait forever to get through. They came out the next day to replace the modem (needed to upgrade).
Hope everything goes that smooth for you:)

king2005
11-03-2005, 06:00 AM
sounds like your Modem is toasted. I find talking VERY loud & angry like (no naughty words) is the best way to get your point across.

I fought for a week, trying to tell Rogers my internet wasn't working on my end & I didn't have access to their gateway. They kept telling me it was because I was running Linux :rolleyes:

SO I was fed up, & yelled at someone to get off the lazy butts & take a real look!! So the guy said, I'll redo your account, & guess what. I had internet, YAY.

I still gave him a bit of lip, because I was quite mad. Then I hung up on him.