PDA

View Full Version : Oscar can't seem to eat, though he wants to

greenthumb
03-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Our 15-year-old marmalade tabby has always had a good appetite, usually eating all his wet food the moment we put it down. A thyroid problem was diagnosed last year when he began losing weight, and he's been responding well to the medication ever since.

But over the last week, he's been behaving strangely with his food. He seems hungry at his mealtimes, and begs whenever we are eating something tasty like roast chicken, but when we feed him, he licks the food, takes it briefly in his mouth, and then drops it. Then he resumes begging. It's not normal for this cat to play hard-to-get, so we're wondering if something may be wrong with his mouth -- maybe it hurts him to eat. Any thoughts on what may be wrong? Oscar's going to the vet this week.

Randi
03-25-2002, 04:51 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk greenthumb!

Sorry to hear that your dear Oscar can't eat his food, poor him! :(
Have you checked his teeth? They could be the reason. In any case, it's a good idea to take him to the vet and have him checked!

Good luck with him! :)

AmberLee
03-25-2002, 04:53 PM
??? Sorry, no ideas. This does sound a little like another cat on this board who had a severe tooth problem, but I don't remember the details. He's having trouble even with wet food? I'm relieved that you're having the vet look at him.

Good luck, {{{Oscar}}}. Fingers and paws crossed for you, sweetheart.

P.S. Welcome to Pet Talk.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-25-2002, 04:56 PM
WELCOME TO PET TALK!

Taking Oscar to the vet is the best idea but did you try him on can food? If his teeth are hurting it is easier for them to eat and not as hard on the teeth. Please keep us posted on how he does.

LoudLou
03-25-2002, 05:26 PM
Welcome Greenthumbs !! I do hope Oscar goes to the Vet and that it's nothing serious. Welcome to the board and please keep us posted. Would love to see pix of Oscar!:D

greenthumb
03-25-2002, 06:36 PM
What a nice group of people you are to extend these friendly welcomes to me. I feel better already.

However, Oscar's favorite human (a.k.a. "Big Mommy,") feels Oscar's problem is psychological, i.e. Oscar will treat his food this way when Big Mommy is away and he misses him. (Yes, Big Mommy is a he. As a kitten Oscar assigned mommy status to his favorite human, who happened to be male!) So Big Mommy won't agree to take Oscar to the vet.

However, Big Mommy is not only out of town but FAR AWAY out of town, for a good long while! So the remaining two of us are plotting to get Oscar to the vet secretly...

In the meantime, Oscar does finish his food overnight, so he is not going without nutrition.

I'll let you know what happens, and will hunt down a picture to share with you of our funny Oscar.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Sometimes when people board animals at our vet's she has them bring something in with the scent of the animals favorite human and leave it for the animals to have in their cages to help keep them company. Do you have something of 'Big Mommy' that Oscar can cuddle with? Maybe an old tee shirt that hasn't been washed. Just a thought. It may help. Can't hurt.

AmberLee
03-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Dear MomofFuzzyFaces,

Ooh! Great idea! When my parent's cat Oliver was laid up at the vets he perked up markedly when he was given one of Dad's tee shirts to sleep on.

Like you say, it can't hurt and it might help a lot. Great idea!

I_love_cats
06-10-2002, 09:03 AM
Sorry for your Oscar, the only I can think is maybe is mouth hurts and he can't not eat his food. Have the vet check his teeth and his whole mouth because there could be problem with his mouth.

06-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Have you tried to give Oscar the dry food especially designed for elderly cats ??? If a bad tooth is bothering him , he needs softer
pet food !! Be sure to make that "secret" visit to the vet ; and keep us informed !! Good luck !!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

rg_girlca
06-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Welcome Greenthumb to Pet Talk. I was going to suggest the same thing that momoffuzzyfaces did. When i had to go away for a few days, i left a sweater of mine that i had worn the day before on my bed and my hubby said that Buddy took up most of it while poor Katie was able to get only a corner of it. lol
I hope everything turns out well for your Oscar. Please let us know.

06-14-2002, 10:13 AM
no more news on Oscar ???
Please let us know something !!

rg_girlca
06-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Greenthumb, would like an update on your Oscar on how he is doing please.