PDA

View Full Version : what about the cat?

xParisx
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm 15 and I've loved animals all my life, but Iv'e always had cats. I'm getting a golden retriever puppy (we think male) and I'm really excited about it- there my favourite breed, but I'm worried that my cat will be really scared by it as she is used to being spoiled and having the house to herself. Do you think she would get used to it quickly and what can I do to make it less traumatic for her? xxx

beeniesmom
11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Hello and welcome to PT.
I have 2 bostons as you can see in my siggy.
What is your cat's name and how old is she?
Has she ever been around dogs before?

xParisx
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
she's called Paris and she is about 2 (we don't really know as we got her from the cat and dog shelter). My mum's friends pointer dog ran in the house befor and she got a massive fright. my dad had to carry her around for a whole day before she would settle again.

beeniesmom
11-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Oh.
Paris might get used to the new dog.
Why, may I ask, are you getting a puppy?
It may be a shocker to Paris or they may become the best of friends.
I've had both cats and dogs together. Most of the time they would ignore each other.

xParisx
11-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I love all animals, and i have spent the past 6 months reading and looking up info on dogs and I love everything about them. I fogot to mention something b4: paris does follow dogs down the street, ithink that day with the pointer just gave her a fright. She's not really a nevous cat and is definetly not shy! :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-02-2005, 12:56 PM
I think the cat would be fine. But know that it's not the cat that needs to learn how to live with a dog, it's the dog that needs to learn to live with a cat. You'll need to teach the dog not to bother the cat. A training class is going to be something you will need to get your puppy into right away. That will help teach him to live with a cat.

xParisx
11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
thanks I'll do that, there's one near where I live. :)

Jessika
11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Proper introduction as well will help with the transition of introducing them to each other. The first week or so have them in separate rooms and don't let them see each other. Take a towel and rub one towel on the dog and another towel on the cat, then bring the towels to the other animal so they will smell and know that theres another animal in the house but won't be able to see it.

Then GRADUALLY start introducing them to each other for short periods at a time. Five minutes a day a few times maybe. ALWAYS have the dog on a leash, and do not leave them unsupervised.

Keep doing this gradually elongating the time they are in each others' company until they get used to the other animal.

KBlaix is right though, its not the cat that needs to get used to the dog, but rather the dog used to the cat. :) After a few swipes to the nose the dog will learn quickly enough to leave the cat to do her own thing!

xParisx
11-02-2005, 01:03 PM
thanks that's a really good idea.

Lobodeb
11-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Your cat should adjust just fine. Slow and steady is the best way to introduce them. At first, your cat may not be pleased with the puppy's energy level, but as others have already said, the puppy will need the manners training not the cat.

I have 2 cats and a dog and they get along fine. It's possible with yours too if introduced properly.

Good luck!

BTW, we're a picture loving lot, so feel free to share your babies with us.