PDA

View Full Version : CJ's allergy results are in

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
He's allergic to......Peanut!!! :eek: :eek: ;) :D

Actually, it turns out he's allergic to a few things so I'll start at the top of the list.
Trees
Beech - American
Ash Mix
Sycamore Mix

Grasses
Bluegrass (June grass)
Johnson Grass

Weeds
Sheep Sorrel
Cocklebur
Mugxxxx - Common (the xxx means I can't read the fax)
Mustard Pollen
Kochie(?) (fax not clear on this one either so not sure of the spelling)
Marsh Elder Mix

Molds
Fuearium (?)

Other
Dust Mite Mix

Foods
Peanut ( :eek: :eek: )
Barley
Soy Beans

Environmental
Mouse Epithelia (vet says this is mouse skin! :p )
Kapok (couch cushions?)

He is also borderline for a lot of things, but, in my opinion, what mostly relates to the diarrhea is
Foods
Fish Mix
Rice, Brown
Beets

The vet tech faxed me the report on this, but the vet was with some emergency patients so I haven't talked to him myself about what all this means yet. He did talk to Terry - which he shouldn't do because Terry gets all upset and thinks Jack's on his death bed :rolleyes: - and he (the vet) mentioned that since the diarrhea is the issue here, it's probably the food allergies that are causing the problem. I told Terry it's a good thing that they found something because now we know what we're dealing with instead of me blindly buying a ton of different foods and wasting a lot of money when those new foods only made matters worse.

I'll let you know more of what the vet says when I talk to him, but rice and soy beans seems to be a big part of many foods, so hopefully we can find one that doesn't have these ingredients.

CJ snuggled up with me last night in bed again. He started purring up a storm the second he climbed under the covers (the only way he'll snuggle up in bed). He's such a sweet silly boy, and hopefully now we can get rid of his diarrhea problem for good! :)

catnapper
11-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Wow, CJ you sure do have a long list of things to be allergic to! Now who on earth thought ot test for mice skins?! ;)

Hopefully this will eliminate all the guesswork for foods, and he'll be making solid poo soon!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Boy, that was quick, the vet just called. He really didn't say much except that the strongest reaction was to the mustard pollen, but that there is probably more fuserium around the house which he reacted to strongly also. Didn't say much else except that they'll be sending a list of foods that don't contain what he's allergic to, but that comes by mail so it will probably be next week before they get it, and when they get it they'll let me know.

Sometimes this vet is full of more information than anyone would want to know, and sometimes he tells me nothing! It's kind of like when he has the time, he will go on and on and on about something, but when he's busy he makes it short and sweet - which leaves me unsatisified. ;)

So for now, we just continue the pred. at a level that "controls the stool" which I've found to be 1/2 a day.

Oh.....and if there's fuserium in the house....no wonder I've got allergies too. Seems both of us are allergic to dust mites too. And I thought I kept an extremely clean house! :o :(

Jessika
11-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Awww the poor guy hehe. Charlie has seasonal allergies too which I give him one benedryl to help with on days they are really bad. Have you thought about getting an "air sanitizer" for inside your house to clean the air? It would help both yours AND his allergies. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Debbie, At least you now know what you're dealing with. I had my RB Pepper tested for allergies and found out that he was basicially allergic to almost everything. My vet also gave me a print out of different brands of foods to try so I looked them up on the internet to check out the ingredients. Good luck and hopefully something will work to control his diarrhea. :)

kimlovescats
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
My goodness ... what a list. Well, hopefully the food changes will be the most important and helpful! Huggies to CJ!

Kim ;)

tricollie4me
11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Truly - what a list! Thank goodness you know what to look for now. Hopefully there will be at least a few choices of high quality foods that will keep CJ healthy and comfortable -- let us know!

moosmom
11-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Debbie,

I'm so glad you were able to find out what he is allergic to. But man that is a looooooooooong list!!! :eek:

At least now you know what you're dealing with.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
:eek: He eats BEETS????? No wonder he has problems. Hope the vets can make him feel lots better real soon! :)

Randi
11-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh Debbie, where do you start - it's quite a list. I really hope you'll find the right combination of food for him, so he can get healthy and happy. :)

Sending scritchies to CJ ... and Peanut too.

Hugs to you.

Killearn Kitties
11-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Don't you worry CJ! Meowmie will find yummy food for you that doesn't upset your innards! Please don't eat Peanut! :eek:

catmandu
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
That sounds like you will have to Get Go,Tor or Windsong Cat Food,and read up on the ingredients.
And at least you know why CJ has the runs,and we hope that you can find a Food,that will make him all better.

RICHARD
11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
I deserved that!

I thought "oh no, He's allergic to PEANUT!!!!!!

Thank god it's the peanut with the "s"... :D

Lobodeb
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
That's an impressive list! My goodness.

Well, the good news is that at least you know what he can and can't have so you can take it from there. The hard part is finding such a food.

Either way, at least you're on the road to recovery, CJ!

Edwina's Secretary
11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
CJ and I share many allergies as well....hmmmm...he will have to stay out of the sheep sorrel....

QueenScoopalot
11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
HOLY GUACAMOLE! :eek: That's a lot of allergies for one cat. Guess it's time to look into a good hepa filter air cleaner along with diet huh? I'm amazed the vet could pinpoint so many substances that CJ's allergic to! :eek: