PDA

View Full Version : Serious Injuries

guitar_chick
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Yesterday my two pet ducks were attacked by a ferret and now have injuries around the head area- i am unsure on how to deal with this situation.
One duck is very quiet and appears to be holding his head in a very strange fashion at first i htough that maybe the neck was broken but hes moving it. what else could it be maybe the bites have made the surrounding tissue inflamed and difficult to move maybe. i also noticed that he wont lie down i cant find any physical injury to his chest area- what could stop him from lying down. i fear that he has seriosu injury to his head and neck regions.
The other has various bites on her head and neck and a gash on her wing. apart formt hat she seems to be okay rather quiet but she doesnt seem to be in too much pain. She also has an abnormal red protrusion on the back of her head it looks like a drop of blood but when i touched it i discovered that its a piece of living tissue.
I have washed cuts and bites on both ducks with diluted antiseptic solutions, and both ducks appear to be eating and drinking as normal although neither have attempted to go for a swim. i am erally really worried and cannot think of how to deal wiht this situation.
Maybe i could observe them for any changes over the next couple of days.
Please try to contact me as soon as possible

Thank you for your time i really apprechiate it :)
God Bless
Vicky
XxXxXxXxXxXx

lv4dogs
11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Gosh I'm not experienced with ducks, or any bird for that matter. I do know about ferrets though.

I'd suggest a trip to the vets. Good luck!

areias
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
My first suggestion would be to go to the vet, if you really want to save them...but I do understand the other perspective of 'it's not worth it'. Here's a great article, make sure you look at the cat bite piece:
Bird Wound Management (http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/november/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Management-Part-2.html)

guitar_chick
11-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey Thank you all for your help

Im sorry to say that after a day there doesnt seem to be much improvment in their general helth they seem very tired and dont appear to be eating, not even grazing.

And that your frot eh website link it was very helpful. I hope by taking those actions indicated by the page they will survive.

However at this present moment in time their future appears to be very distorted :(

Thank you once again
Vicky
XxXxXxXxX

areias
11-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Aw I'm truely sorry. :( Poor ducks...I hope they do somehow make it. Is the male lying down yet?

guitar_chick
11-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Nope he wont sit down at all- hes really quiet and his head is bent really funny. ive had a look and he has a gash so ive cleaned it again
i guess the only thing i can do is pray that they make it :(

Vicky
XxXxX

dab_20
11-25-2005, 11:07 AM
i am experienced with all kinds of ducks and poultry. if they are pet ducks, maybe take them to a vet?? i have never delt with our ducks being that badly injured. i really hope everything goes ok.

if your ducks start eating at any time, make sure they drink right after. because if they dont, they will start to choke. good luck.