PDA

View Full Version : I paid a visit to my friend today...

moosmom
11-01-2005, 06:19 PM
She is the ACO of the Berlin Animal Shelter. Those old "rescue" feelings emerged. I fell in love with a sweet little girl who had cigarette burns all over her body. All she wanted was to be held and loved. It broke my heart to leave her behind. :( One of the volunteers, Mary, tried to talk me into fostering her. But I've learned when to say no. For the first time in months, my cats are very happy and content to have me all to themselves.

I'll probably go back every once in a while when I'm in the area to see her, if she doesn't get adopted this weekend at the adoption day.

I SWEAR the rescue thing follows me wherever I go. :(

G535
11-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Poor kitty, I could never understand how some people can be so cruel to animals.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Thats so sad :( Poor Kitty...

kimlovescats
11-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Donna! I have some catching up to do ... you have moved? Sounds like you are very happy and that is wonderful news!

As far as rescue work, I am overwhelmed again ... have been back in more than full-time again. I'm trying now to get my numbers back down for the winter and stay that way ... hopefully. That kitty with the cigarette burns just breaks my heart ... thank God she is in a safe place now at least.

Kim

moosmom
11-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Kim,

I moved last week and have been here almost a week. I LOVE being home around my friends and family. The kits have settled in VERY nicely and love the place I'm in. There's plenty of room to roam and explore.

The law firm next door to us has set up a garage (the doors have padlocks on them) and a small hole for some neighborhood strays to go in and out. Inside is every kitty's dream! It has every amenity a cat could want, water fountain, cat trees, beds, and it's heated. The girls in the office had the mobile spay/neuter clinic come and spay/neuter them. I feed them in the morning and they feed them before they leave the office. So far, I've seen 2 cats. One I call Mamacita and her black child, who I haven't named yet. They're getting friendlier everytime I feed them. That is the closest I'll come to rescuing at this point. Suits me just fine.

That kitty with the burns broke my heart! :( She is the sweetest thing. The shelter also has a cat that was owner surrender because hubby abused it and her. Disgusting!!! :mad:

Good luck this winter, Kim. But don't forget to take care of yourself too! If you need catnip, please let me know and I'll mail some out. Kathy sent me on my way with TONS of it!!!

ramanth
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh Donna, how heartbreaking. Is there any way you can help the shelter in other ways besides fostering? Maybe visiting and playing with the cats to help socialize them?

Since I can't foster, I do home inspections and transports. It may not be a lot but it feels good to help out when I can.

Glad to hear you are settling in over there. *HUGS*

moosmom
11-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Kimmy,

Yes, I could visit and socialize with her, but my main priority right now is finding a job that will pay my bills!! Plus it's a 40 minute ride to the shelter from where I live.

The shelter had 2 kittens that were sort of feral that I would LOVE to foster, but because I don't live alone, it wouldn't be fair to Mark.

Hey, you can take the girl out of rescue, but you can't take the rescue out of the girl!!!

(((((((HUGS)))))))))

ramanth
11-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Kimmy,

Yes, I could visit and socialize with her, but my main priority right now is finding a job that will pay my bills!! Plus it's a 40 minute ride to the shelter from where I live.

I don't blame ya. Good luck with the job hunt! :D

Hey, you can take the girl out of rescue, but you can't take the rescue out of the girl!!!

(((((((HUGS)))))))))
Too true! ;) *Hugs back!*

Anita Cholaine
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM
awww:( I don't understand why some people can be so cruel... The worst thing is to not be able to help the poor animals....

Good luck finding the job!:D