PDA

View Full Version : Does your city have a limit on the number of dogs/cats you may own?

tricollie4me
11-01-2005, 06:00 PM
We have our Bijou, and three cats. Out of curiosity, I recently looked online to review the city ordinances/codes regarding pet ownership where we live and discovered the following:

"Number of Dogs and Cats Limited. In order to protect the public health and public sanitation, no more than two dogs and two cats or three animals (three dogs or three cats) of any one of the two species, shall be kept in or upon one residential unit or by one or more persons constituting one residential unit, unless the premises be licensed as a kennel."

So -- am I being noncompliant by having one dog and three cats? Aaaaaack!

I had no clue we had any limits whatsoever in our little city (pop 20,000); I only looked up the ordinances on a bit of a lark -- it's not prominently displayed, either -- I had to do a special search on the city codes to find this information.

What does your city specify (or does it?)?

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure if it's 4 pets per house or what because I don't own anything but dogs but I do know that legally, I can only have up to 4 dogs at a time.

Crikit
11-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure if it's 4 pets per house or what because I don't own anything but dogs but I do know that legally, I can only have up to 4 dogs at a time.

Actually for Calgary you can have as many dogs as you want pervided that they are all licensed. Some of the surrounding towns and municipalities have a limit (unless you have a kennel license or own a farmstead) but at the moment we're still free to have as many as we like. I think Edmonton has a limit and I know that Crossfield does.

Jessika
11-01-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure if this was a rule for our CITY or just a subdivision rule, but the rule was no more than two pets, period. My family broke that rule so fast though.. I think we had, three cats and a dog LOL

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure what are rule is i better go check that out when i go to work!

cali
11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
nope its unlimited here, hence why I can live in the city legally with 20 some pets lol

Jessika
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Where would you go to find out this information? I tried searching google but nothing too helpful came up

sammy101
11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
i have no idea if Houston,Tx has a limit or not. If anyone knows,please let me know!

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 06:35 PM
jessika what if you asked like a animal rescue place in your area?? that's what i'm gonna do or maybe the vet might know too!

Jessika
11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
jessika what if you asked like a animal rescue place in your area?? that's what i'm gonna do or maybe the vet might know too!

That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion!!

Only problem is I'm fairly new to this area so I don't even know of any local shelters and such in my area yet. But I would imagine phone numbers for those will be a lot easier to find with a google search! :)

dogzr#1
11-01-2005, 06:58 PM
It is four pets here. I think it is also that in Houston

Glacier
11-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Within the main part of the city the limit is 2 cats and 2 dogs. Where I live, still technically within the city limits, but zoned differently, it's 6 cats and 6 dogs, but you have to written permission from everyone you share a property line with. Without written permission from your neighbors it's 4 & 4 in my area.

I bought my property before there were any limits in my area. I pay a yearly fee now for a special permit to keep a dog team within city limits. So I can have as many dogs as I want. I'm supposed to still obey the cat limit, but I don't.

The limit drives me nuts...my neighbor has 20 horses and another raises pigs--no restrictions at all on keeping livestock within my area, but they want to control how many cats I keep inside my house (part of the cat by-law here is that cats are not allowed outside unless confined to their owner's property.)

wolf_Q
11-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah our city limit is 2 dogs I'm not sure about cats. I think it's ridiculous, 1 dog let to run loose around the neighborhood is 100 times more of a problem then my 3 that are kept in the house/yard all the time.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Actually for Calgary you can have as many dogs as you want pervided that they are all licensed.

Really? The woman we talked to a few months ago said that Calgary has a 4 dog limit. That's good to know though!

tricollie4me
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
<<Where would you go to find out this information? I tried searching google but nothing too helpful came up >>

I just went to my city's website (if you're unsure of this, just Google your city/state and you'll probably get a website with lots of information about your city government, its rulings, schedules, who to contact for various city-related issues (police, trash pick-up, school information, everything).

You could certainly ask your vet, as long as they happen to live inside city limits as well -- otherwise, rural areas often have different determinations, and kennel licenses can be obtained as well, allowing for a larger number of pets (my city's ordinances reference kennel licenses, but do not explain what constitutes a kennel, what individuals/groups can obtain a kennel license, etc.). It's all very interesting! I guess I thought since I live in a small Midwestern city surrounded by rural/agricultural surroundings, we wouldn't be required to adhere to codes that I mistakenly assumed were "big city" kinds of limits.

Additionally, cats do not need to be licensed by the city, though of course they need to have their rabies shots administered. So the city is not privy to how many cats I have (unless my vet is required by law to forward this information to the city), but because I'm required to purchase a dog license (and willingly do so), city clerks are fully aware that we have just one dog. I guess if I licensed a second dog, that would be fine, but they'd stop me at the counter with a third dog's tags unless I qualified to be a kennel (not likely - we live in an older suburban neighborhood!).

That said, I'm keeping my three cats and my one dog -- but I'll probably talk to my local vet next time I'm in to discuss the matter further.

anna_66
11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I looked online and there is no limit, or should I say it doesn't state any limits. It may have changed, they say to call to make sure.

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I honestly have no idea! I'll go see if I can find out...

Where I looked doesn't say anything about limits...

The Cat Factory
11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Where I live you can have 2 dogs, and as many cats as you want.

IRescue452
11-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Wisconsin has a limit of 4 dogs. I don't know about cats in WI, but in our city cats must be licensed if they are outdoors at any time.

pnance
11-01-2005, 11:20 PM
The city limit is I think 3 dogs, no limit on cats, luckily I live just outside the city limits so I can keep my 4 ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-02-2005, 07:07 AM
This is what my city's site said:
No more than 3 pet animals are permitted on a single premise within the city. Animals include dogs, cats, rabbits, or other animals, excluding tropical fish or exotic fish, but including birds maintained outside the living area of the residential structure. No keeping of poultry, domestic fowl, pigs, hogs, or livestock shall be permitted within the city limits.

I however live well outside the city and there are no limitations as to how many pets are keep here.

Pam
11-02-2005, 07:18 AM
4 dogs is the maximum in my town. I don't know about cats.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I just asked my father this question, and he says... "uhhhhhh.... 2 dogs, and 2 cats". :D

ramanth
11-07-2005, 09:34 AM
We have our Bijou, and three cats. Out of curiosity, I recently looked online to review the city ordinances/codes regarding pet ownership where we live and discovered the following:

"Number of Dogs and Cats Limited. In order to protect the public health and public sanitation, no more than two dogs and two cats or three animals (three dogs or three cats) of any one of the two species, shall be kept in or upon one residential unit or by one or more persons constituting one residential unit, unless the premises be licensed as a kennel."

So -- am I being noncompliant by having one dog and three cats? Aaaaaack!

What does your city specify (or does it?)?
I'm not sure what our city specification is. I'll have to look.

However, I do believe YOU are in compliance with the code. It says 'three animals' in the code. Just because it gives an example of three dogs or three cats doesn't mean you can't mix or match. One dog and two cats like you have, or two dogs and one cat.

I wouldn't worry. :)

AllAmericanPUP
11-07-2005, 10:39 AM
limit here is 3 dogs...i dont know if there is a limit on cats
obviously i dont follow that rule LOL
but the limitation is not enforced at all.
the AC knows we have 7 dogs, the only thing he has said is "you know you're only allowed 3 dogs right" but he's never told us to rehome 4 or anything like that lol. my neighbor has 5 dogs too.

lv4dogs
11-07-2005, 10:57 AM
In my town you're allowed 3 dogs and unlimited cats. You can have more than 4 dogs if you get a permit.

dab_20
11-07-2005, 01:25 PM
umm one of my friends told me that you can only have 3 dogs. but i dont think thats fair. some ppl take wonderful care of there dogs (and have more than three) and have a big enough house for them. i dont know if it is even true though.