PDA

View Full Version : What do You think?

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
We found a litter of very healthy pom puppies from a reputable breeder. they have been checked for everything and they will be ready in December. Do you think its too early for me to get another puppy? I'm not sure if I want it or not, but we are going to look at the puppies this weekend . I was just wondering everybodys opinion.

Kfamr
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I would throw away all of Tink's toys, food bowl, etc. Who knows if she had something like parvo or something contagious and deadly. Also, please make sure that you guys open up a bank account or something that can be used in emergency situations. It is a responsible thing to do.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 05:02 PM
We know she didnt have Parvo, and it wasnt something contagious...But we are going to put away all her stuff, and the banks(any of them) wont let my mom have a bank account...Maybe they would let me have one?

Jessika
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I would throw away all of Tink's toys, food bowl, etc. Who knows if she had something like parvo or something contagious and deadly. Also, please make sure that you guys open up a bank account or something that can be used in emergency situations. It is a responsible thing to do.

That's what I was going to suggest. Because you cna NEVER know what can happen in the event of an emergency, maybe you should wait until you're sure you can afford a new puppy again, especially with all the vet bills you had to pay with poor Tink!

The ONLY person who knows if you're ready for another pup again is you. So do what feels right. :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 05:06 PM
That's what I was going to suggest. Because you cna NEVER know what can happen in the event of an emergency, maybe you should wait until you're sure you can afford a new puppy again, especially with all the vet bills you had to pay with poor Tink!

The ONLY person who knows if you're ready for another pup again is you. So do what feels right. :)
My mom is going to save up money for this puppy IF i want it...Idk if I could handle it, I would be afraid every time I look at it that I would start bawling...

Kfamr
11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
We know she didnt have Parvo, and it wasnt something contagious...But we are going to put away all her stuff, and the banks(any of them) wont let my mom have a bank account...Maybe they would let me have one?

How do you know this for sure? Not trying to be mean, but you really don't because she wasn't taken to the vets before she passed on. To be on the safe side I would throw away all of her belongings that can't be bleached/sanitized.

Jessika
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
My mom is going to save up money for this puppy IF i want it...Idk if I could handle it, I would be afraid every time I look at it that I would start bawling...

If you're afraid that you'll break down every time you look at this puppy then, in my honest opinion, I don't think its time for a new puppy yet. But as I've already said, nobody knows you better than you, so do what YOU feel is right.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Well, We arent planning on using the stuff again, we are planning on storing it somewhere the only thing we would keep for the next puppy would be puppy pads, a new bag of dog food, and the doggy bag...but yeah...idk what we'll do...

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 05:16 PM
If you're afraid that you'll break down every time you look at this puppy then, in my honest opinion, I don't think its time for a new puppy yet. But as I've already said, nobody knows you better than you, so do what YOU feel is right.
Well, at this moment, I mean we just lost her yesterday, of course I will think that..I think maybe I need another puppy...Its so lonely without Tink...:( I think that I do want the puppy.:)

CagneyDog
11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe you should wait a bit just so your mom can save up a good amount of money.

Do you definitly want an other pom?:)

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Well it's not till december, maybe the breeder will let you get a pic of the litter, and while your doing that i would look around and she if you might see signs of puppy mills, I don't know if people can tell but also look at the mother and see if she is healthy and stuff.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Do you definitly want an other pom?:)
YES! I love their little faces and their personalitys, and everything about them. Tink was just never completely healthy, but her friend was. His name is Kodiak, I have pics of him somewhere..anyways...My mom is going to be saving from this Friday to December 2nd. AND this weekend we are going to look at these 2 puppies, and we get to see the girl and boy, and the parents. We get to see everything.

Chica
11-01-2005, 06:25 PM
I think you can handle it. I think you should go with your gut feelings to!!It will make you feel better to give another pup a home and give it your love!! ;)

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I think you can handle it. I think you should go with your gut feelings to!!It will make you feel better to give another pup a home and give it your love!! ;)
Aww Thanks. I really do want another puppy to love...

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
I agree with chica's mom, sorry i dunno your name!

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah...We are going to get the puppy Gosh i cant wait to see them!

Kirbys Mom
11-01-2005, 08:37 PM
i know you did just lose her the other day, but if you think you are ready to open your hart once more then i say go for it! i cant wait to get my Kirby, everything is good when there is a new puppy in town :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
i know you did just lose her the other day, but if you think you are ready to open your hart once more then i say go for it! i cant wait to get my Kirby, everything is good when there is a new puppy in town :)
Yeah...I cant wait!!! I think that Tink would want me to have another puppy...

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 09:23 PM
yeah tink would!

Toby's my baby
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I say do whatever you think is right, it sounds like you really want a new puppy to love. But we all know that you will never forget her. IF you want a new pup, go for it!:)

luvofallhorses
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
You will know in your heart if you are ready for another puppy. If I were in your shoes, I definately wouldn't be ready. Good luck!

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I think I'd probably want to get another puppy...but, it's different for everyone. The breeder sounds more reputable, but, just be wary! :)

Vette
11-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Awww.
what colors you going to get this time?

are the puppies born yet,, or still in the barkery? LOL

wolfie
11-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I'm glad you found a good breeder - and if the pups won't be ready until December that gives you time to check the breeder out and ask questions.

If you can afford it, and you are ready, then go for it. ^_^

lv4dogs
11-02-2005, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't get another puppy until you have a lot of money saved up & a credit card so you can be prepared for any emergancies in the future. As you already know you couldn't afford Tinks last vet visit. I'd say if you have a few thousand saved up you should be off to a good start. Heck you'll spend about a thousand just in the first month, on the dog, supplies and first vet visits.

If you feel that you have enough money saved and can handle it then I'd say go for it.

But make sure this is a reputable breeder! Here's a good site for you:
http://members.tripod.com/GWDalmatianClub/Dalinfo/repbreeder.htm

BitsyNaceyDog
11-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I have to say that if I were in your shoes I'd want to get a new dog right away too. Not all people are the same, but that's what I'd do too.

I think another quick way to find out if a breeder is reputable or not is to ask what kind of food they feed. You can easily ask that on the phone. If they say Pedigree (or some other junk food) than you know to stay away from them. If they tell you they feed Nutro (or something else good) then you know you're heading in the right direction. Not that feeding a good food makes them a good breeder, but it's one of the first things I'd ask about.

Anita Cholaine
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
As the others said, you are the only one who knows if you are ready for another puppy, so, good luck with it! You have time until december to think carefully about it.... The breeder really sounds better, but if I were you, I would also consider adopting. Maybe there is a poor litle pommie waiting for you:)

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Yeah...we are getting the puppy :)

jackie
11-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't get another puppy until you have a lot of money saved up & a credit card so you can be prepared for any emergancies in the future. As you already know you couldn't afford Tinks last vet visit. I'd say if you have a few thousand saved up you should be off to a good start. Heck you'll spend about a thousand just in the first month, on the dog, supplies and first vet visits.

I agree with this totally. You couldn't afford the vets bill, but you can afford to buy another "pedigree" puppy right away? I don't want to put a damper on your excitement, but nothing can survive only on love, money is important too.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I agree with this totally. You couldn't afford the vets bill, but you can afford to buy another "pedigree" puppy right away? I don't want to put a damper on your excitement, but nothing can survive only on love, money is important too.
We're NOT buying the puppy right away! And we didnt have the money to take Tink to the vet last time, bcus we spent alot on thevetvisit when she had low bloodsugar! I've said this alot...MY MOM IS SAVING TO GET THE PUPPY WE AREN'T GETTING IT RIGHT AWAY

.sarah
11-02-2005, 02:48 PM
You have to understand everyone's concerns here. They aren't bashing you, they are trying to help you. When you buy a pet, you need to have money set aside for emergency vet visits.

You said the puppies would be ready in December, and that is next month. That is not very much time for a person who makes an average amount of money to save up money for the expenses of buying a puppy & the vet visits thereafter.

Is your mom saving up for the initial cost of the puppy only, or will she be saving up for vaccines, emergencies, etc as well? Don't buy a puppy if you have the money only for the purchase. If s/he has some sort of emergency and you can't afford it it will be your fault for not having saved up beforehand. Just because you are buying from a reputable breeder it does not mean the puppy will be healthy, and you must understand that. What if this puppy catches and/or is born with something deadly? Will you be able to afford the treatments? These are all things you have to consider before you buy any pet from anywhere.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
IDK what shes saving for..probably the vet and the dog. She makes like $3000-4000 a month...soo it wont be that hard to save...

Jessika
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
If your mom makes $3 - 4K a month, then why did you have trouble bringing Tink to the vet the last time?? That just blows my mind away.

jackie
11-02-2005, 02:53 PM
We're NOT buying the puppy right away! And we didnt have the money to take Tink to the vet last time, bcus we spent alot on thevetvisit when she had low bloodsugar! I've said this alot...MY MOM IS SAVING TO GET THE PUPPY WE AREN'T GETTING IT RIGHT AWAY

You asked for opinions, don't get upset when you don't like what people are telling you. I am sorry you lost Tink, she was a beautiful puppy, and I know you loved her, but you should think what is best for the next puppy. And in this case I think it is better to wait.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 02:54 PM
If your mom makes $3 - 4K a month, then why did you have trouble bringing Tink to the vet the last time?? That just blows my mind away.
Because Last paycheck she doesnt get the 3-4k all at one time...she gets like 1200-1500 every 2 weeks. Last time we had to pay our near $500 land rent....some bills...like my computer payment, and we had the previous $200 vet visit. PLUS we had to eat...

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
You asked for opinions, don't get upset when you don't like what people are telling you. I am sorry you lost Tink, she was a beautiful puppy, and I know you loved her, but you should think what is best for the next puppy. And in this case I think it is better to wait.
I know I asked for opinions, its not upsetting me or anything. I am thinking whats best for the next puppy. We will beperfectly ready for him/her.

.sarah
11-02-2005, 02:57 PM

Exactly. I was speaking as if her mom made an average amount of money because of that. Besides, most vets will work with you if you can't pay right away. I work at a vet and we have plenty of people with hundreds of dollars to pay because their pet had an emergency that they couldn't afford. It's not fair to the animal to put them through that just because the client can't afford it. If your vet isn't willing to work with you, it's time to find a new one. And if you don't know whether or not your vet will work with you, it's time to find out. Tink should have gone to the vet regardless of if you could afford it right away, and I think you know that. Obviously if your mom makes that much money it wouldn't have taken her long to pay off her bills.

Jessika
11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Because Last paycheck she doesnt get the 3-4k all at one time...she gets like 1200-1500 every 2 weeks. Last time we had to pay our near $500 land rent....some bills...like my computer payment, and we had the previous $200 vet visit. PLUS we had to eat...

Regardless of how much you make a month, you should ALWAYS be prepared for an emergency, period. It's only responsible! I didn't need a layout of your bills, it just amazes me that someone making twice than my combined income a month couldn't afford to take their pup to the vet when I can care for two medium sized dogs and be fine? I'm not meaning this to be an attack, as you said you're only 13 so maybe you're just misinformed about your mom's financial situation :)

.sarah
11-02-2005, 02:59 PM

PLEASE find out if your vet will work with you on payments. It is extremely important. Most vets won't deny your service just because you can't pay right away.

Jessika
11-02-2005, 03:01 PM
PLEASE find out if your vet will work with you on payments. It is extremely important. Most vets won't deny your service just because you can't pay right away.

If not payments then at least postdated checks, as I've said in the other post (I think?). Postdated checks are what made it possible for me to bring Charlie to the vet when I found a lump on his shoulder but didn't get paid for another week. :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
They wont work with us. and the other vet in town wont either.

Jadapit
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
If not payments then at least postdated checks, as I've said in the other post (I think?). Postdated checks are what made it possible for me to bring Charlie to the vet when I found a lump on his shoulder but didn't get paid for another week. :)

Her mom cant get a checking account remember? ;) I would think she could making that much money a month.

Jessika
Then its in your, and your potential puppy's, best interest to find a new vet. If you don't want to do this or think its "too much of a hassle" to do, then I seriously think you need to reconsider getting a new puppy.

Roxyluvsme13
No banks will let my mom get an account, so we are going to ty to get an account in my name

Jessika
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
No banks will let my mom get an account, so we are going to ty to get an account in my name

Why will the banks not give your mom an account, though?? That's absolutely ridiculous. Especially with how much you say your mom makes a month, getting a bank account should be NO problem.

And if you say your mom can't get an account at a bank, you probably won't be able to get one, either (since you aren't 18 and if you're under 18 you have to have a parents' name on it).

edited to add: when I said its ridiculous, I meant the banks were ridiculous, not you :)

lv4dogs
11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree with the last few posts. We're NOT bashing you, we only want to make sure that you can provide the proper care (everything included, love, time & money etc...) to a new puppy so soon.

I just can't believe your mom makes that much & couldn't afford another vet visit & is not allowed to open up a bank account either.

Sure you were thrown back a little with all of Tinks vet visits and funds were a little tight but making that much money she certainly should of been able to afford it even if she did have to pay bills that week.

I don't make that much, not even close & look at all the animals I have. I ALWAYS have enough money for vet bills & the such. And god knows they sure are at the vets a lot.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Why will the banks not give your mom an account, though?? That's absolutely ridiculous. Especially with how much you say your mom makes a month, getting a bank account should be NO problem.

And if you say your mom can't get an account at a bank, you probably won't be able to get one, either (since you aren't 18 and if you're under 18 you have to have a parents' name on it).
I'm not allowed to tell the reason why. Its kinda personal...but she cant get a checking/bank account.

CagneyDog
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Maybe you should just postpone getting the pup until the spring? That way, your mom will be able save more money.

beeniesmom
11-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm not allowed to tell the reason why. Its kinda personal...but she cant get a checking/bank account.

:confused:

CagneyDog
11-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Sorry, but I'm honestly kind of confused. Your mom couldn't afford to get Tink into the vet when she was sick but yet she could afford to pay 500 dollars to get her registered? Maybe you've answered this before, I haven't been able to read through the whole thing

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I agree with the last few posts. We're NOT bashing you, we only want to make sure that you can provide the proper care (everything included, love, time & money etc...) to a new puppy so soon.

I just can't believe your mom makes that much & couldn't afford another vet visit & is not allowed to open up a bank account either.

Sure you were thrown back a little with all of Tinks vet visits and funds were a little tight but making that much money she certainly should of been able to afford it even if she did have to pay bills that week.

I don't make that much, not even close & look at all the animals I have. I ALWAYS have enough money for vet bills & the such. And god knows they sure are at the vets a lot.
The puppy will have proper care...

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Sorry, but I'm honestly kind of confused. Your mom couldn't afford to get Tink into the vet when she was sick but yet she could afford to pay 500 dollars to get her registered? Maybe you've answered this before, I haven't been able to read through the whole thing
No we were only going to pay like $23 to get her registered...

Jessika
11-02-2005, 03:18 PM

They paid $500 for Tink from the breeder was my understanding :)

But the same question still comes into play -- you have money for a $500 dog but not money for emergency vet bills..

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:19 PM
:confused:
It was a kinda financial reason thing...If you want to PM me I could tell you

lv4dogs
11-02-2005, 03:19 PM
No we were only going to pay like $23 to get her registered...

Going? There was a post that said you DID register her, you even got her papers in the mail???
I'm getting really confused here.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
They paid $500 for Tink from the breeder was my understanding :)

But the same question still comes into play -- you have money for a $500 dog but not money for emergency vet bills..
We will have money for vet bills this time!!!

lv4dogs
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
It was a kinda financial reason thing...If you want to PM me I could tell you

That was my guess. Which I am afraid kind of makes matters worse.

Since you are so young, and that it is your moms business & she wants to keep it personal I suggest that you don't share the info either. Please respect your mother.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Going? There was a post that said you DID register her, you even got her papers in the mail???
I'm getting really confused here.
We got her papers, but we hadnt registered her yet. We were going to this weekend

CagneyDog
11-02-2005, 03:24 PM
We got her papers, but we hadnt registered her yet. We were going to this weekend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got...Tinks papers!!! Yay! Her full registered name is Tinkerbell PixieDust Phillips

Oh, You said this in your other thread so thats what was confusing. It sounded like you registered her since you had her name and her parents name etc.

lv4dogs
11-02-2005, 03:26 PM

Oh gosh, I thought you ment that when you got her papers in that post a week or two ago that it was her registered papers, like the actual document not the forms you have to fill out to register her.

Jessika
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh, You said this in your other thread so thats what was confusing. It sounded like you registered her since you had her name and her parents name etc.

Oh, I have Jamie's papers too but haven't registered her, and on her papers it has the names of the sire and dam :)

k9krazee
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
My dad makes as about as much as your mom does, my mom a whole lot less...somehow we can support 6 people, 5 dogs, 2 cats, 3 guinea pigs, a gecko...and have money to spend on other things like trips (Adam and I went to Europe for a month)...We try to give our animals the very best vet care that we can, we definately have priorities, if one of the animals need vet care we are more than willing to sacrifice something that we may really want.

CagneyDog
11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh, I have Jamie's papers too but haven't registered her, and on her papers it has the names of the sire and dam :)

Oh okay.

I don't much about this stuff.

beeniesmom
11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
My dad makes as about as much as your mom does, my mom a whole lot less...somehow we can support 6 people, 5 dogs, 2 cats, 3 guinea pigs, a gecko...and have money to spend on other things like trips (Adam and I went to Europe for a month)...We try to give our animals the very best vet care that we can, we definately have priorities, if one of the animals need vet care we are more than willing to sacrifice something that we may really want.

err.... not all families have similar backgrounds... your folks may make the same but if you have certain issues..... that much is not enough for even the simplest things.

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2005, 03:37 PM
We are going to be ready for the puppy this time

tricollie4me
11-02-2005, 03:57 PM
It sounds as though the original poster is quite young, and her mother may currently have (or have had) financial difficulties making it impossible for a bank to allow an account. That said, I think it's clear that most any young child would very much like to have a new dog after a sudden loss, and not be able to truly comprehend the financial and emotional commitment, and it's up to her mother to help make sure they make a sound decision. Personally, I hope they wait - there will always be dogs to rescue, adopt or obtain from a reputable breeder. A dependable family/home environment (lots of time, love, high-quality food, immediate access to (and ability to pay for) vet services, medications, routine medical care including monthly heartworm preventative, flea/tick preventative, toys & other playthings, etc.) is a must for any dog :)

Just my 2 cents as a mom of five people-kids and four fur-kids :)

And a bit off-topic, but perhaps slightly relevant: When my husband and I first got our pair of parakeets, we "lost" the male, Ed, in an odd little access area we had underneath our kitchen cabinetry. As we tried to coax Ed out to join his partner in the birdcage, we mused over what would happen if poor Ed couldn't get out. One of our boys, then age 4-1/2, brightly exclaimed, "Well, we'll just get a new Ed!" Our son was completely comfortable with simply moving on the to the next available bird at the pet shop, despite our efforts to explain that we couldn't just go out and buy a new bird simply because Ed was forever stuck beneath our kitchen baseboards! We did get scared little Ed out, however, and he lived for many happily neurotic years with Ava, his mate.

k9krazee
11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
err.... not all families have similar backgrounds... your folks may make the same but if you have certain issues..... that much is not enough for even the simplest things.

Sorry, horrible example...I guess I was just blown away a bit because Tink could not recieve vet care because of lack of money...

dogzr#1
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Although I am still fairly young myself I still do know alot.

First, if you had a financial problem during the month and couldn't pay for
Tink's vet visit then I think you should wait just a little longer to save more money. What if that problem happens again and you don't have money? I think you should save for a little longer and have like $700 on the side for emergency vet care or if you are in a financial bind.

Second, are you emotionally ready for a new puppy? I now that when a puppy dies you want to get another one right away but although it makes you feel better, it may not be the best thing. You may look at the puppy and start crying because s/he will remind you of Tink.

Thirdly, do just a little more research on this breeder. I am sure you know how to tell a BYB from a reputable breeder but just to be on the safe side do more research. Look at your local Humane Society or Pom Rescue groups. We drove 8 hours to get Astra and 4 to get Molly.

Well with that said, I hope you have done all this things and have reconisdered getting a puppy so soon. :)
-Monica