PDA

View Full Version : Bladder infection?

sirrahved
11-01-2005, 11:10 AM
We fear Marshmallow might have one. She's been sitting in her litterbox a lot and tinkling tiny droplets of pee all over the house.

Does this sound like a bladder infection? I've never had a cat with one before. She's off to the whitecoats this afternoon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Yep, sounds like a good ol' UTI (urinary tract infection). The good news is that she is tinkling because if she were totally blocked, you'd have to get her to the vet NOW! But since some is coming out, just not in the right place, she's probably not blocked, just has an infection.

I had UTIs because I know how uncomfortable they are, so I wish Marshmellow well! :)

Craftlady
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Ditto... UTI
Glad your off to the white coats today. :)

catmandu
11-01-2005, 01:26 PM
We are glad that Marshmallow,is at the White Coats. GCK,and Angels Angels are on thier way,t helop her feel better,and we are All praying for Marshmallow,to be better soon.

catnapper
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Yup, thats what it sounds like... or she coud have crystals forming. Its more likely that its a UTI though. Good luck at the whitre coats and let us know what happens.

sirrahved
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know what causes a UTI in a female cat?

Between Muffin's ear infections and now Marsha, I don't know what to do!

catnapper
11-01-2005, 02:06 PM
I think stress is one. Is she stressed for any reason?

I know Pouncer's got crystals from stress.

sirrahved
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Ummm.... let's see...
She moved across the country in August
Five weeks ago she got a new sister (a dog at that!)
There's been a feral lurking outside....

She's probably a stressed kitty! Poor girl.

catnapper
11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Yup, I'd say she would be one stressed kitty! Gentle hugs to poor Marshmallow!

Did you go to the vet's yet? What did they say?

Isn't PT wonderful? Before PT, if I saw my cat tryig to pee, and nothing coming out, I'd not have thought how serious it could actually be... I'd just shrugged it off as a strange cat thing. Pee problems can be deadly serious for cats. Glad you are taking her to the vet!

sirrahved
11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Our earliest opening today was @ 2:30. It's now 1:18. Jason made the appointment when they opened this morning.

They forewarned us that it is very difficult to get a urine sample from a cat. What do they do if they can't? Just guess?

*edit: Yes, I do LOVE that at PT I can come and every problem I have, someone has already had it. It's the best! *hugs all around*

catnapper
11-01-2005, 02:46 PM
They, ahem, just take it from them. Thats what they had to do with Pouncer last night. He flat-out refused to pee, which I knew he woud because he won't pee when he's upset (I've tried to collect a pee sample from Pounce myself, and was unsuccessful. Even after he was locked in a room alone for 14 hours, he still refused to pee... at that point it was dangerous for him NOT to pee, so I let him roam free)

sirrahved
11-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Marsh got a shot(she wasn't too happy about that) of antibiotics yesterday and a perscription. They couldn't get a sample, so we dropped her off early this morning to see if they could get one. She's still there, and still hasn't "done her thing."

She seemed to perk up a little bit in the evening, asking for loving and rolling around. Hopefully she's on her way to recovery.

Thanks, everyone!

Marshmallow was weighed yesterday. She's six pounds, fourteen ounces. No wonder I feel like every other cat weighs a ton!

kimlovescats
11-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Sorry to hear little Marshmallow has been uncomforable ... those yucky UTIs are so painful. Glad to hear that she will soon be feeling better! Hopefully things will settle down now for everyone at your house!

Kim ;)

tricollie4me
11-02-2005, 01:44 PM
We recently had Levi into the vet's for a suspected UTI and discovered he has idiopathic cystitis...thankfully, he is doing sooooo much better now that we know how to help control his symptoms! Hopefully, your little Marshmallow will be feeling happy and healthy again very soon!

sirrahved
11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, no good news from the urinalysis, aside from the fact that it's not diabetes...

She had crystals AND an infection. So C/D diet for life, I'm afraid.

Anyone else deal with this? Is Science Diet C/D the only food available?

catnapper
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Like you, my Pouncer was diagnosed with crystals this week. He's currently on Hills SD to help break up the crystals, then in two months we'll move to the CD. The vet said there ARE alternatives out there like ProPlan's urinary health formula, but its NOT enough to help a cat that already has crystals. If we fed the cats that food from the beginning.... we might not have crystals, then again we might. I looked at my bill.... just under $20 for a 4 pound bag of the SD. YIKES :eek: BUT... thats nothing compared to what costs I might accrue if he's NOT on the food. I'll gladly pay the extra money for each bag of food and not worry about emergency treatment for blockage, or even surgery if the blockages don't clear/dissolve.

At least now you know why she's been peeing inappropriately and now you can watch for signs of the crystals getting worse.

sirrahved
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow, I can't believe Pouncer and Marshmallow were diagnosed in the same week! Poor furkids.

Science diet C/D is $11 dollars for a four pound bag. Luckily, Marshmallow eats only a 1/2 cup a day, if that. I guess, averaged out, that isn't very much per day.

I hope Pouncer feels better very soon!