PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Maggie after Companion Dog's Death *suggestions please*

christa
11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey guys! I don't post much on the dog side . . . actually hardly ever! But I desperately need some suggestions.

Here's the situation:

I have a dog, Maggie . . . after I got married, she stayed on the farm with my parents. Up until July, I had another dog that was her companion, Abby. She passed away in July. You can see Maggie & Abby in my siggy.

Since Abby's death, Maggie's personality has changed completely. She was a free spirit, so full of energy and was so brave. Now she is scared of everything and seems to be extremely lonely. She has Callie, my parent's outdoor barn cat that lives in the dog pin . . . :rolleyes: But it's just not the same. Seems like she gets scared when she's alone. She's an outside dog, stays in a pin at night and according to my parents, barks all night.

My mom put a nightlight in her pin. She thought it might help her a little to not be so scared.

Any other suggestions? We were thinking about maybe putting a radio near her pin . . . the noise might keep her company.

And before you suggest it, another dog is out of the question.

lizbud
11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Sorry about Abby. :( The most obvious answer would be to bring Maggie
inside with her people.If she's never been house trained, she could be without
to much trouble. It must be lonely for her outside & all alone.

poofy
11-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Im sorry she lost her friend, and wish I knew what to do to help her, shot of a new friend I have no idea.. :(

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/animatedpets.gif

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Short of getting her another dog to be with, or bringing her indoors...the only other thing I've seen people do for their pet in a similar situation, was to rehome them with a dog or dogs they like. I'm not suggesting that, though, because I don't know that I could do that. But, I've seen it happen like your situation, and, they couldn't take another dog, for some reason. They rehomed their dog and she was back to her old self again. I hope you all can find some way to make Maggie's life full again. Poor girl. She must be so scared being alone! I wish you the best of luck!

petslover
11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Sorry about the loss of Abby, but my suggestions are either get Maggie a new pal or my best suggestion would be to bring her inside with you. If she is that lonely that maybe the best thing to do.

christa
11-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Well first of all, there is no way that my parents would rehome her. I would bring her to the city with me before that would happen. She LOVES being outside on the farm . . . she LOVES running and playing . . . she LOVES my parents. It's not like this is a life/death situation here . . . at least not enough to do something so drastic.

I was only asking for suggestions of things that we could do for her, to make her more secure & comfortable.

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Well first of all, there is no way that my parents would rehome her. I would bring her to the city with me before that would happen. She LOVES being outside on the farm . . . she LOVES running and playing . . . she LOVES my parents. It's not like this is a life/death situation here . . . at least not enough to do something so drastic.

I was only asking for suggestions of things that we could do for her, to make her more secure & comfortable.

And, I was only giving you suggestions based on what I've seen other people do in similar situations. I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought she wasn't running and playing and being happy. Blech, I'll just shut up.

christa
11-01-2005, 11:16 AM
And, I was only giving you suggestions based on what I've seen other people do in similar situations. I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought she wasn't running and playing and being happy. Blech, I'll just shut up.

Maybe *I* wasn't clear enough. It's just hard to explain your dog's personality without writing a book.

Maggie is on top of the world when me or my mom or dad are outside with her. It's almost like she gets so excited . . . I worry that she'll make herself sick! Is that possible? Anyway, she IS a happy pup . . . just seems lonely. She's really changed. In some ways, it has settled her down, which is good . . . but I just feel bad for her. And just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Do you think the night light and the radio will help? I know we use to always leave the TV on in the garage during the day and the dogs didn't roam as much. They stayed close to the TV/noise.

Finn's mom: No hard feelings. :) ok?

lv4dogs
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Yup, I'm with everyone else. the only suggestions I have are ones you don't want to do (bring her inside... even if it is just at night, get another dog for company or rehome her).

Sorry but there really isn't much else that can be done in this situation.

Good luck.

finn's mom
Finn's mom: No hard feelings. :) ok?

Whew, I hate hard feelings. :D None here.

Ginger's Mom
How old is Maggie? My only suggestion would be to bring her inside at least at night. I know that you said that she loves being outside, but you also said that for the last three months (since July) she has been fearful and lonesome outside. So maybe bringing her inside at night for some company and security and letting her enjoy herself outside during the day would work. I am not sure that what Maggie needs is noise (radio, ect.) as much as some genuine interaction and with someone she trusts.

lv4dogs
11-01-2005, 11:20 AM
The radio might help a little bit if you can program it to a soothing cd ro something.

The problem with radios & tv's is that sometimes you'll get a commercial or the like with scary noises/voices, loud bangs, whatever... you never ever know what they play or show next or if the frequency will have interuptions causing static and the like. Sometimes that can make the situation even worse.

If you can program it to a cd or something that you KNOW for sure will NOT skip and it doesn't have any frightening noises it may help. But thats next to impossible.

shais_mom
11-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I am sure Maggie is grieving for her companion just as you and your parent's are also. I think a soothing cd sounds good. I wish you the best with her you both deserve it.
{{hugs}}

pitc9
11-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh how sad.... :( too bad another dog is out of the question.
Sure... try a radio. It can't hurt to try!

cyber-sibes
11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
So sorry about Abby. When we lost Star's companion, Rosie, we saw much the same thing, her personality changed. And she started doing "Rosie" things, it was obvious she really missed her. Star is an outdoor dog too, and really doesn't like being indoors, but she looked SO sad all the time. i took her for extra trips to the dogpark to play with other dogs, that seemed to cheer her up a little. I also took her with me on more trips to the store etc. maybe they can try things like that.
Our solution- - Sherman! We knew when we met him he was just what we ALL needed. Star's been back to her happy bossy self since he arrived.

christa
11-01-2005, 02:17 PM
When we lost Star's companion, Rosie, we saw much the same thing, her personality changed. And she started doing "Rosie" things, it was obvious she really missed her.

Funny you say that . . . Abby was always the "protector" and Maggie would just wander around the farm, exploring everything. Now Maggie won't leave our side! She's VERY protective. We all thought it was so strange how she stepped up so quickly and assumed Abby's old role.

Kfamr
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
To be honest, I think the best thing would to bring her inside. Even if it's just for night time, laying on the floor by your parent's bedside. Dogs are pack animals and strive on being a part of the pack. Maggie, sadly - and i'm sorry, has lost her pack member and by the sounds of it, her pack leader.

I'm not sure why she's an outside only but, if possible, it may be what she needs. Even if she loves it outside, and i'm sure she does, she is now alone outside which is a big change from having someone for years.

My dogs are actually the same. I take all 3 for a walk, they walk fast and with confidence. If I take them soley, they get jumpy at the littlest sounds. They depend on eachother so much that they are lost without one another.

Hope you understand what i'm saying, didn't get a chance to read all the other replies so I'm sorry if I'm just repeating what someone else said. :)

Good luck to everyone involved!

christa
11-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure why she's an outside only but, if possible, it may be what she needs.

I'm sure you already know this . . . not everyone agrees that dogs make good indoor pets. My parents won't even have an indoor cat . . . they were totally against me and my hubby getting our cats (even though they love them to death now!) . . . see what I'm getting at?

I know that everybody on the dog side has indoor dogs, and that's fine by me. To each his own. But I can't ask my parents to bring Maggie inside when I probably wouldn't even bring her in myself. Just personal preference.

That's why she's outside.

Kfamr
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I understand and I figured that was the reasoning. It just seems to me that may be the answer to their problems. Hopefully you all find some sort of alternative. :)

Do you think possibly they could find a doggie day-care or even just a neighbor dog that Maggie could visit everyday or a couple days a week? Having a canine friend to play with may be a bit of a spirit lifter for her.

Just another suggestion!

christa
11-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I understand and I figured that was the reasoning. It just seems to me that may be the answer to their problems. Hopefully you all find some sort of alternative. :)

Do you think possibly they could find a doggie day-care or even just a neighbor dog that Maggie could visit everyday or a couple days a week? Having a canine friend to play with may be a bit of a spirit lifter for her.

Just another suggestion!

I like the suggestion about the doggie friend . . . my parent's don't have many neighbors though. They live in a rural country area. I'll have to think about that one some more. :)