PDA

View Full Version : Friend's new cat problems

Lightning SuperCat
11-01-2005, 04:53 AM
I have I question-I should ask the experts! ;)

My mom's friend found a cat in her yard and wants to keep it. The cat is fine, but thier other cat hisses at it all the time and she wants to know if it will stop eventually, and what she should do.
Thanks!

jenluckenbach
11-01-2005, 05:35 AM
It is expected for the resident cat to be the one doing the hissing.

Introduce them slowly. The best is to bring the new cat into the house and set him up in a single room behind closed doors. They will both know there is a cat behind that door, and they will listen and sniff at them.

When the new cat is calm with his new room, allow the cats to meet, but only while you are there to supervise. Don't take the new cat OUT of the room , allow the resident cat to enter the room, at least for the fisrt meeting or so,

They will settle in as long as you are willing to allow them to do normal cat routines....they will hiss, and growl. They will posture and follow one another around. And they might even avaoid one another. But MOSTS cats WILL adjust.

Good luck and have fun with new kitty.

moosmom
11-01-2005, 06:17 AM
What Jen said!

catmandu
11-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Imagne if you will coming home,to find a complete stranger in your house.
it would take some time before you got to know the new person,and get used to them.
And Cats are the same,even more so since they will be sharing the same food and toys.
Seperate dishes,so the resident Cat,doesnot feel threatened.
Time will make them Buddies,in most cases.