PDA

View Full Version : Do you give candy....

CagneyDog
10-31-2005, 11:07 PM
to older kids? Or do you give them less candy? We give equal amount to each person, age doesn't matter. I know some people don't give any candy to teenagers:p

Jessika
10-31-2005, 11:12 PM
I think its ridiculous to not give candy just because of age. Everyone likes to have fun!! I give equal amounts. I think people who think that just because of your age, you shouldn't dress up or trick-or-treat well.. that's just lame. Give them their candy and let them have their fun. They could be doing much worse things on Halloween night. ;)

caseysmom
10-31-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't want to get egged....besides I don't mind....I get kinda peeved when kids show up past 9 with no costume though, but right now I am paying 3500 to get my house painted and I don't want it to get ruined.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-01-2005, 12:17 AM
I make up little packets of different candy, plus a lollipop and a small chocolate for the small kids, tied with a ribbon. For the bigger kids (teens) I have a separate basket with full-size chocolate bars, and I give them two each.

We have a rule in our compound - if the porch light is off, then don't ring the bell, which works great for the few people who dont want to be disturbed.

Jessika
11-01-2005, 12:27 AM
We have a rule in our compound - if the porch light is off, then don't ring the bell, which works great for the few people who dont want to be disturbed.

That's the rule here, too. Actually I thought that was a general "universal" Halloween rule -- if the porch light isn't on, don't go to that house. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2005, 12:36 AM
We didn't hand out candy this year because people coming to the door off and on annoy the dogs but when we do, I usually give equal amounts to all people...

K9karen
11-01-2005, 12:52 AM
We hardly get any kids anymore- only 9 this year and that was 2 groups. I always over buy cause I want the leftovers. I gave fistfuls of candy bars and lollypops to everyone, costume or not. The kids were amazed and thankful and polite. Logan went nuts. John held her back but we opened the screen door wide so she could see the kids. Unlike Cody who had to be gated, we're sure she wanted to do her usual "smell their feet" thing and play with them. But the kids were kind of scared.

chocolatepuppy
11-01-2005, 04:26 AM
I give equal candy to all ages. But if a group of teens come by that has no costume,or at least an attempt at one, sorry, they get less. ;)

neko1
11-01-2005, 06:06 AM
The one person who actually knocked on our door last night happened to do so while the furballs were eating, it scared them so much that they didn't want to go back to their food. :(

catnapper
11-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, I do, and depending on HOW they are acting, and HOW they are dressed, I'll actually give them more. If the kids are out dressed to the hilt, having a good tme, giggling, and polite, appreciate, etc, I'll definately toss a few extra candies in their bag. Last year, I had a couple kids show up not even dressed up... not even sure if they had a bag! :eek: I tod them I had no more candy! :D

petslover
11-01-2005, 08:06 AM
We usually give to everyone. I know one year I had a friend who had to send her son trick or treating with no costume because they couldn't afford one so I always try to think of it like that maybe the kids' parents can't afford one..
but yeah I always give the same amount to all ages..We only got like 2 trick or treaters last night and one of them was my little cousin. so we have ALOT of candy left lol..

Since no kids were out trick or treating, I was almost attempted to dress up and go out lol!

Felix
11-01-2005, 08:07 AM
That really bothers me.Its those people that got teenagers like my step daughter not going out trick ot treating :mad: My step daughter is 13 and she is taller than me.For this reason and the disrespect she got the year before she never went out this year.She says shes too old.I said trick or treating has no age limit and that she should go out and enjoy her teen years.She never. :( She feels foolish,because of people who thinks older kids should'nt go out for Halloween.I think it's such a shame.I dont treat anyone any differntly.Just that I give the babies cheezies or cookies instead of chips and candy because they cant eat it thats all.I love halloween and I welcome kids of all ages.I love seeing the kids dressed up :D

beeniesmom
11-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I had a lot of older kids in thier teens.... and gave them candy anyway...
I actually ended up giving them more candy because they stuck around to chat a while!

ramanth
11-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Dan gave out candy to all regardless of age. It helps too that they actually had costumes and weren't out being rude to kids.

I dressed up when I was a freshman in college. My friends and I went to a local subdivision near the university. All was well at first. We'd let younger kids go ahead of us, we were polite and got into the spirit of things, most houses loved our costumes. Then one elderly couple at a house started cursing and yelling at us threatening to call the cops! :eek: :mad:

I wasn't aware that Halloween had an age limit. :rolleyes:

CagneyDog
11-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I always felt awkward going up to peoples doors, I was always really tall and people would always say "arent you too old for trick er treating" :p :rolleyes:

Logan
11-01-2005, 12:15 PM
My daughter and I just had this discussion (or something similar to it) this morning on the way to school. Some of her friends, who are freshmen in high school, went trick or treating last night. My daughter never even asked to, but I told her that I thought that probably 12 years old was probably around the last time that a child should trick or treat. I was astounded when I realized how many Pet Talkers were going to trick or treat last night. Dressing up and attending Halloween parties or festivals is one thing, but going door to door, I always thought was for the little kids. Live and learn, I guess! :o

By the way, even though I had a few "big" kids last night that weren't even dressed up, I gave them the exact same amount I gave everyone else.

Logan

Jessika
11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Oh if we're talking about older kids trick-or-treating and being dressed up or not.. if they're not dressed up then.. well.. I don't know if I'd give them candy or not. I probably would but its not THAT hard just to throw on an old dirty shirt or something and pretend to be like.. a construction worker or a dead person LOL

lv4dogs
11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I give out equal amounts of candy to everyone for the most part. Like if its getting late at night and I have a lot of candy left then I'll start to give out more to each kid.

I have only had it happen once & it was actually my neighbor!!! He came without a costume & I wouldn't give him candy! I would never give any candy to someone who is not dressed up! IF it is really cold out & they have to have winter coats on and the such, sure thats one thing but no costume at all in nice weather then forget about it! No candy for you. Even if they have no money to buy a costume they can wear their parents clothes or the like, find something, anything to dress up as. I don't care what your dressed up as or if you only have part of the costume as long as you have something. Call me a scrooge or whatever I believe that that is just plain wrong.

Suki Wingy
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I get booted out because I look 20 :(
we barley get any kids anyway.
I think If you live in an area where people don't have much money it is ok to boot the older kids but almost all of my area is wealthy (and snotty, I hate my "village")

areias
11-01-2005, 09:59 PM
I went trick-or-treating last night...I'm 18. :D I actually went all out...I'm blonde, spray painted my hair black, had a white angel dress thing that i slashed and put fake blood (strawberry syrup), got black boots and black gloves and did my make up. I had two houses say you're too old, i won't give you any candy. I was pretty upset at them...I may be older, but I still dressed up and it's not like I'm 35 doing this. I think if someone actually dresses up they deserve to have some candy.

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't see a problem with any age going trick-or-treating. I think people put too many limits on themselves and others based on age. I think if you're having a good time, not bothering anyone, being nice and actually participating in the holiday and spirit of it, I don't care if you're 80. By golly, you're getting some dang candy. ;)

I have that problem with a lot of things in life, though...being labelled as only for young people or whatever. I have a friend who is 43. This is his living room...about 30 remote control cars, several robots, several gaming systems (Xbox, playstation), etc. His patio has two kayaks, several jetskis, innertubes, you name it. The man knows how to play. But, as hard as he plays, he works just as hard.

I don't think there should ever be an age limit to having a good time. If you never take anything seriously and are a complete bum, that's different. But, people should be embraced for having an inner youth for the duration of their time here. Bah. Sorry, this topic came up in coversation today, ironically, so my feelings on it are fresh in my mind. ;)

Jessika
11-01-2005, 10:45 PM
I don't see a problem with any age going trick-or-treating. I think people put too many limits on themselves and others based on age. I think if you're having a good time, not bothering anyone, being nice and actually participating in the holiday and spirit of it, I don't care if you're 80. By golly, you're getting some dang candy. ;)

I have that problem with a lot of things in life, though...being labelled as only for young people or whatever. I have a friend who is 43. This is his living room...about 30 remote control cars, several robots, several gaming systems (Xbox, playstation), etc. His patio has two kayaks, several jetskis, innertubes, you name it. The man knows how to play. But, as hard as he plays, he works just as hard.

I don't think there should ever be an age limit to having a good time. If you never take anything seriously and are a complete bum, that's different. But, people should be embraced for having an inner youth for the duration of their time here. Bah. Sorry, this topic came up in coversation today, ironically, so my feelings on it are fresh in my mind. ;)

I think I love you!! :D

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 10:47 PM
I think I love you!! :D

Ha ha, thank you. This TheraFlu is making me all fuzzy, but, this brought me back to earth, laughing hard. I love being loved. :D

Jessika
11-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Ha ha, thank you. This TheraFlu is making me all fuzzy, but, this brought me back to earth, laughing hard. I love being loved. :D

Well I just wish everyone had that type of attitude and view on this!!! I mean, people think that cartoons are for kids and ESPECIALLY by my age you're "too old" for cartoons and trick or treating and stuff like that. NOO WAY!! Actually I think people should model themselves after people like your friend, because he CLEARLY knows how to enjoy life!! :)

MariaM
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Well it's my mom that usually hands out, and we usually don't get too many anyway. For the most part, I think she gives the same.
I love going trick-or-treating, I'm 14 and I think this is my last year.:( It makes me sad, but my dad would be furious if I went next year...he was mad enough this year. :o My mom doesn't care too much. She encourages us, actually, she likes to eat our candy. :p
I dressed up good though. First, when I went when it was lighter out, I put on a Frankenstein mask (94 cents) , a touque to cover my hair, a black sweatshirt inside out, black sweat pants, white (unisexish shoes) , and my green and black skeleton gloves. (94 cents) Most everyone thought I was a boy - which was what my plan was. The few people who knew I was a girl was only because I forgot to disguise my voice at some houses. :p Lots of people liked my costume, and one older lady almost got teary, patting me on the shoulder saying "You're the only one that's worn a mask"

In a small town, everybody knows everybody, so I guess I just didn't want people to know I went. But then I went out again for a bit later with my witch hat ($2.00), and just black clothing/make-up, with Major, which was fun.

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Actually I think people should model themselves after people like your friend, because he CLEARLY knows how to enjoy life!! :)

I agree. He really does know how to enjoy life. Like I said, he's very responsible and works hard. But, he'll be jetskiing in the middle of winter wearing a wetsuit and a santa hat. ;)

And, just for the record, probably the only stuff I watch on television regularly is animated. :D