PDA

View Full Version : Cats can die?

SammyCat
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
If they eat...

I was wondering. Are there any foods that cats can eat that can cause them seious harm? My aunt allowed my cousin a kitten and she fed it human food and it died.

Is this true? Are there such foods that cats can eat and die? or did it just drink toilet water

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
there is tons of food that can harm or kill cats, for starters there is tons of human food and even plants that can, so its just safe to feed it only cat food.

Jessika
10-31-2005, 09:37 PM
As she ^ said, there are lots of foods and household plants that are toxic for cats to eat. Normally JUST eating regular human food shouldn't be toxic for a cat, but maybe there was a plant in her house she got into that hurt her??

SammyCat
10-31-2005, 09:57 PM
because i got home from trick or treating and ate a bag of cheeses and left it there and went to take a bath. i was going to watch a movie just now and finish the chips but they're all gone, i suspect my cat ate it because only my moms home and she's sleeping

catnapper
10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes, human foods can kill a small kitten - choclate, onions, etc can make a cat very sick. Kittens also can die from many things - too many to name. Fleas can kill kittens, diarreah can kill kittens. How old was this kitten? Was it tested for diesase?

Jessika
10-31-2005, 10:01 PM
That shouldn't KILL them. It certainly isn't healthy but that shouldn't KILL a kitty :)

AmberLee
11-02-2005, 12:59 AM
I know onions and tomatoes are toxic to cats,,, Too much chocolate, too.

There are so many houseplants and garden plants that I can't name them all.

carole
11-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Yes I have heard onions, garlic and chocolate are toxic to cats, there are many plants as well especially Lillies of all kinds,that is really sad about the kitten., remember lots of human foods contain spices like garlic for instant sausages, so be careful about feeding human food that you are not sure what ingredients are in them.

catmandu
11-02-2005, 07:36 AM
We are sorry to hear that the Little Kitten has passed on.
You are only really supposed to give a Kitten,a small percentage of his meals in Human Food,but for the life of me,I cant think of anything that would kill a Kitten.
And if drinking out of the porcelain Water Bowl was lethal,I would have a lot fewer Found Cats.
RIP Little One,Now An Eternal Kitten Angel.

Kirsten
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Cats should never be allowed to eat human food, especially kittens; it's not good for them! Too many spices, too much fat, and cats often are lactose-intolerant... only to name a few.

I know that especially chocolate can be fatal for cats and dogs, as it contains theobromin, a caffein-like substance that may cause heart attacks.

As mentioned before, many plants are toxic, too. And don't forget about cleaners and other dangerous things you have in the house.

I have once written an article for www.catmom.de/engl about this subject here (http://www.catmom.de/engl/haus.html) .

Kirsten