PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP... regarding Pouncer

catnapper
10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
We're back from the vet. He screamed the whole ride home. I'm talking feral wild cat scream that would put fear into anyone's soul.

He's been sceaming since he got home. Attacked Harry, Abby, Flutter. I put him in the room alone and turned out the light hoping that would help him.... no.... he sat on the other side of the shut door growling and screaming as he clawed at the door. I opened the door and he screamed LOUDER and came out punching. I am FREAKED, he is freaked, and all the other cats are freaked. Poor Nicki is wimpering and whining.

I currenty have him in my daughter's room. She will sleep in the spare bedroom with Angel. He has food, water, a litterbox. I don't know what else to do. Its like he's turned feral all of the sudde. I am AFRAID of him right now.

He's been already trying to chew the wrappings. I've tried several times to put the ecollar on, and he's gotten it off within seconds each time. Once I put it on so tightly that I was afraid of chocking him... and he got it off within seconds. Me putting the e-collar on only made him worse.

PS: The vet said not to give him pain meds because then they'd make him feel better ad then he might start jumping and running. Ummm.... I think the boy is in TOO MUCH PAIN, that even one little pain pill is gonna kill the pain enough to make him think he can go play like usual.

HELP!!!!!!

Oh, last thing -- he DOES have crystals! Meowmie knows her boy.

Soapets
10-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Poor, poor Pouncer! :eek: And poor, poor YOU! :eek: I don't have any advice, just want you to know I really feel for you, and for Pouncer. I hope he gets to feeling better real, real soon!

Deb

prechrswife
10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't have any advice, but I will empathize with you. :(

jenluckenbach
10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
I am so sorry that I did not see this sooner.

Since I talked to you, I know that the pain pill seems to have helped him. So I would just keep him separate so he can rest and have as little stress as possible.

catmandu
10-31-2005, 07:54 PM
We are praying that Pouncer will calm down,and let the medicine take effect.
I had John Hancock go wild for a day when he was accidentally stuck,in the spare bedroom with 8 visiting Meezers,and he hid from me in the basement.
And the Original Pouncer went crazy when I boarded her at my Aunt and Uncles,and she bit and scratched me when I was trying to get her,from a crawl space.
I hope that Pouncer calms down soon.

christa
10-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Since I talked to you, I know that the pain pill seems to have helped him.

So does this mean that you HAVE given him a pain pill now? I hope so. I'd much rather him be in less pain and try to keep him calm rather than have him crying & screaming like that, obviously in tremendous pain. Poor guy. Don't the pain meds calm him down anyway? Looks like they'd drug him to where he wouldn't want to run and jump. Last time I checked, pain medication and speed are 2 different meds :rolleyes: . . . I think the vet is way off on this one. Go with your gut, Kim!

Hope your boy is doing better tonight!!! Update us when you can!

momcat
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi Kim, Have you talked to the vet about this since you've been back? This doesn't sound right and it sure doesn't sound like Pouncer. I'm wondering if a pain pill would harm him at least until you can talk to your vet again. That is if you can get near enough to give it to him. Sounds like poor Pouncer is in a whole lot of pain. :( :( :(

Craftlady
10-31-2005, 08:44 PM
I know when we humans are in loads of pain our attitudes are not the best. Last time I checked a pain medication eased pain and calmed we humans and animals down. Personally, I'd stick the vet in a room without meds after he/she has had a major surgery and or procedure and see how they feel in the morning. I've know vets to not give antibotics but pain meds, nope never heard that one. I'd go with your gut instinct and give Poncer some pain relief. I'd cross that vet off the foster care lists of approved vets. Guy or Gal is an idiot in my book. Just my 2 cents :)

catnapper
10-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Ok, he's calmed down considerably since I wrote last. I DID give him a pain pill, and it helped. I have not seen him in about an hour; I'm giving him time to calm down.

The vet is closed for the night. They close at 7:00 --- we left a little after 7:00.

Attached is a photo of him when I got home -- BEFORE he REALLY got bad. Some of you might not be able to view this video without clicking "save as" I don't know why, so if you get an error message, please to right click and "save as"

Two notes:
1) he is not as fat as he looks in the video ;) Honestly. he's a perfect 11.9 pounds.
2) my litte half laugh is not me laughing.... it is, but I laugh like that when I'm really stressed or concerned. I've been known to laugh at funerals. I am really wquite concerned about my sad ittle upset boy.

rg_girlca
10-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Oh Kim, that is definitely a cat that is in major pain. I can just imagine how you must feel seeing your poor Pouncer like that as it brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad that you gave him a pain pill and that he has calmed down.

I can't believe that the vet said NOT to give him any pain medication. :mad:

I pray that tomorrow will be a better day for Pouncer and for you.

How is your Mom doing today???

Gentle kisses for Pouncer and MAJOR HUGS for you Kim.

Keep us posted.

Soapets
10-31-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm SO glad he's calmed down some! I couldn't get the video to play, but I'm glad he's doing better. I probably would have given him some pain medicine, too, so I'm happy that you went against the Vet's advice on that one! Keep us posted.......

Deb

caseysmom
10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Kim...lets break your vets foot and tell him no pain meds...we don't want him to walk on it :eek:

catnapper
10-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Poor Pounce. I spent some time with him. He's purring, but I have the feeling its not because he's happy and content. I have the feeling he's purring to help comfort himself. He started growling at me when I tried to give him a blanket to lay on... growing AND purring at the same time. :( I was just trying to make him more comfortable instead of sleeping on a cold hardwood floor. :(

I hope his personality doesn't change because of this. I noticed he changed after the first time he hurt his front paw. Before that, he was my lover boy who ever complaned about anything. Then he started to become hissy boy after that.

Please keep Pouncer in your prayers (my mom too -- her hand is better today, but she's concerned about how one puncture is weeping/oozing... though she is enjoying the pampering dad and the guys at work are giving her ;) )

As for my vet & the no pain pill concept, they've said that before, like with spays. I've heard of it before from other vets.... the whole concept of them feeling good and trying to act normal, and only ending up injuring themselves worse. I personally don't believe it, which is why I gave him the pain pill. Thank God for the rescue, or I'd have had NOTHING to give him tonight. I think he's feeling so much pain right now that the pain pill only helped reduce the amount of pain. He's not going to be doing back flips any time soon. Even with the pain med, he's still pretty darn sore. I have myself so worked up over this, I need a few heavy duty pain pills myself! :D ;)

rg_girlca
10-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Kim, big time prayers on the way that Pouncer will feel a bit better tomorrow. He is growling because he is in pain. He just doesn't want to be touched right now. Poor baby.

Prayers also for your Mom that she has a full and speedy recovery.
I really don't have any advice about the oozing, but maybe she should call the doctor to see if she can put some peroxide or ozonol on it.

Prayers for you also Kim and major ((((((HUGS))))))

caseysmom
11-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Prayers are on the way, I wouldn't worry about his personality changing...he is just hurting and he is confused.

Kirsten
11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
This post is breaking my heart this morning - poor Pouncer!!! :(

I'm pretty sure he acted that crazy because he was in a very bad pain! :( My first thought was that maybe the bandage was too tight and caused him even more pain and discomfort, because he started behaving like this AFTER he has seen the vet. Obviously the pain killer you gave him helped him, and I can't see anything wrong in giving him slight pain meds to take the worst pain away from him during the first days - but I'm no vet!

I think it's good that he's purring; it's said the vibes coming from the purring help the bones to heal.

I'm off to work now, but I'll keep poor Pouncer in my thoughts. Hope he will do better soon!

Kirsten

Barbara
11-01-2005, 04:26 AM
sorry for typing one-handed -have an owie too- i only had it one time that a cat i owned was in that much pain and i'll never forget it. hope pouncer will be better soon- and your mom and you as well. this must eat up all your ressources. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

orangemm
11-01-2005, 04:39 AM
It broke my heart to see that video and it scared me at the same time (I can't imagine how YOU felt). Poor Pouncer. Animals usually can bear a lot of pain without complaining, so he must have been in agony to act like this.

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to get a pain pill into him without getting injured yourself!?

I certainly hope that the night went all right; maybe he will be feeling better today. I'll pray for him. :( (and you and your mom!!!)

jenluckenbach
11-01-2005, 05:16 AM
I hope Pouncer feels better today.

(I could not see the video. :( )

Killearn Kitties
11-01-2005, 06:00 AM
How is our Pouncer baby this morning? I hope you haven't all spent a sleepless night!

Sonia59
11-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Poor Pouncer :( ! I don't know what to say. I hope the pain will decrease soon and that he feels better. Many head scritches, Pouncer! :)

The video is OK after saving. And Pouncer don't look fat.

catnapper
11-01-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you managed to get a pain pill into him without getting injured yourself!?

Actually, that was the easy part. He was doing so much screaming that I simply tossed it in. He was so shocked that he swallowed without trying to spit it back up. I never had that easy a time pilling any cat! :eek:

He's MUCH better this morning. I went up to visit him and he gave me some head bumpies. THANK GOD! Those head bumpies are worth more than gold to me right now. He did manage to start unraveling his wrapping. Any ideas as to how I can get an e-collar to stay on him? He's Houdini of the cat world. He got out of three different collars last night, and wriggld out of it after I tight it with ribbon as tight as I dared go. This is why I gave up on making him wear a collar - he gets out of them in seconds. If it was for his penchant for breaking bones, I'd swear he was made of silly putty or something since he is so good at getting place no cat can!

Thank you all for so many prayers. It was a long day yesterday and meowmie slept in a coma-like sleep from pure mental exhaustion. Now today I can actually do WORK, and call all the people I forgot to call yesterday! I hope clients understand that he's my BABY, and not "just a cat".

catnapper
11-01-2005, 07:35 AM
And Pouncer don't look fat.
Thank you :) He actually lost some weight since his visit in May. Such a good boy :D

lizbud
11-01-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry for Pouncer :( , but glad that you used your own good sense
and gave him pain meds. I also doubt that he'll start suddenly feeling so much better as to be bouncing off the walls with happiness. He hurts to much for that. I used to use an old puppy crate(never used) to separate
any cat with injuries while they healed. It worked great when then had to
separate & quieter for awhile. I do hope your mom heals quickly also. :(

catnapper
11-01-2005, 09:48 AM
I used to use an old puppy crate(never used) to separate
any cat with injuries while they healed. It worked great when then had to
separate & quieter for awhile.
Angel is currently occupying the puppy crate! I have Angel home recooperating from her leg surgery. I have the feeling Flutter's going to need her leg surgery after all.... so its not inconceivable that I'll have THREE cats recoperating from leg isues for the next month or so! :eek: :eek:

prechrswife
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Pouncer is doing better today. :)

gini
11-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Good Lord, my heart goes out to you! I would be a complete wreck!

Why oh why, would you let an animal suffer like that? Can the pain medication cause any harm?

I am with you Kim, keep him calm and give him time to heal.

I think once he is feeling better he will calm down and be his old self.

lizbud
11-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Actually Kim, I have two crates. I got tired of carrying the one crate from
room to room downstairs. I also used them when I had a new cat to introduce
to the others. I wish I could send you one. I don't plan on ever adopting
another. Five is enough for me. :)

ramanth
11-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Poor Pouncer. :( How is he feeling today?

catnapper
11-01-2005, 11:08 AM
LOL Lizbud... I have two crates, and one bunny cage. I had Angel in the smaller crate, and she made a HUGE mess. She spilled her water everywhere, the litter mixed with it, and then she dipped her beautiful plumy tail in it... now she has concrete for a tail. Considering how much she FEARS water and the bathroom, I'm going to try to work the litter out a bit at a time. I moved her to the bigger crate, and now I KNOW I can't stick Pouncer in the smaller crate. He'd be worse than she was! :eek:

Pouncer is doing GREAT in the bedroom alone. He's spending his time under the bed, and is being such a good boy. I went in, and pulled him out from under the bed. He let me sit there and cradle him like a baby, and just melted as I rubbed his tummy and ears. THAT'S the boy I know and love... not the sceaming wild creature from last night!

I have not given him any more pain pills. I might later, but for now, he seems content and not in pain. He even walked around a bit when I was in the room (well, he hobbled over to his food dish.)

Question: Does Baytril cause thirstiness? He drank an alarming amount of water last night. I was THRILLED to see the pee bsicuits in his litterbox (just in case you don't know, he's been straining to pee lately, and its been confirmed tat he has crystals) but I was shocked to see how much water he drank. At first I checked to se if it spilled... nope, he drank it all!

krazyaboutkatz
11-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about your poor Pouncer. :( I was able to watch the video and all of my cats seemed upset by his screams and I was too. :( I'm glad to hear that he's doing much better and I can't believe that the vet suggested not to give him any pain meds. When Starr had his surgery he was on pain meds once a day for 10 days. They also help them relax and sleep so I'd give them to him at night.

I haven't heard anything about Baytril causing an animal to become more thirsty but maybe he's extra thirsty from being sedated. Starr was also very thirsty and my vet said it was from the anesthesia. I'm also sorry to hear that Pouncer has crystals. Since he's so young it may be caused by stress. Hopefully he won't continue to have this problem. Please get better soon Pouncer and take care Kim. (((HUGS)))

Craftlady
11-01-2005, 11:54 AM
baytril (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_enrofloxacin.html)

There is a note in this information this medication can cause crystals in urine. Nothing about excessive thirst.

furrykidsmother
11-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry I missed this, but I am glad to see that he is improving. Sounds like you have your hands full. I will keep good thoughts of you and all your recouperating little ones.

catnapper
11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
baytril (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_enrofloxacin.html)

There is a note in this information this medication can cause crystals in urine. Nothing about excessive thirst.
:eek: :eek: He's on the Baytril to DISSOLVE the crystals!!!

orangemm
11-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I am so glad to hear that he's doing better. What an awful time you have had lately.

Poor Pouncer, poor mom, poor you!

(((((hugs))))) to all of you!

Uabassoon
11-01-2005, 03:33 PM
((((hugs for you and Pouncer)))). I can't imagine how stressful this all must be for you. I'm wishing Pouncer and YOU a speedy recovery from all of this.

Mad Mags Moo
11-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Kim, just saw this thread and my heart went out for you especially when i played the video...poor boy, felt so sad and mad that some vet would put an animal though this. Bubble was a bit freaked out at the sound coming from the computer :eek:
Glad he is feeling better and giving his meowmie head bumps and purring, big hugs to you and that lovely boy!!! :D

kimlovescats
11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Oh dear, Kim ... poor Pouncer and poor YOU! I'm just now getting to this post, but I'm glad to hear that at least the worst is over! Give that sweet boy a gentle hug from me!

(((HUGS)))
Kim

ChrisH
11-02-2005, 03:24 AM
Oh, Kim, I was so sorry to read about Pouncer's accident and your mum's hand. Glad to hear he is doing better now. Prayers and postive thoughts on the way for quick and full healing for Pouncer and your mum both.
{{hugs}}

Chris

catfamily
11-02-2005, 06:53 AM
He NEEDED Pain meds.That vet should of KNOWN better!!!!
I'd be so pissed at him or her.Sorry but I've always been outspoken.You know I'm your friend : )
I just read he's doing better thank God!!!!!

catnapper
11-02-2005, 08:38 AM
He NEEDED Pain meds.That vet should of KNOWN better!!!!

I agree! Which is why I gave him pain pillls last night and the night before.

Last night was an AWFUL night for me. I would have though a kinsized bed + hubby + me + Pouncer = plenty of room. It would have if not for Jealous Nicki (weighing in at 100 pounds) jumping into bed and refusing to move. Then Allen jumped up to help nurse his brother. I slept on the very edge of the bed all night petrified to hit my boy's paw. I WANTED him to sleep with me because he was so miserable, and he was a changed boy when he was being held by me..... me was purring, givig head bumpies, making biscuits.... you name it. I was so thrilled to see him happy that I didn't have the heart to move him. So I slept mserably for the emotional happiness of my cat! :D

He's better today. He made it down the steps on his own and has been hanging out down here with me and te others all morning.

Have I ever metioned just how much I love my hissy boy? I made a promise to him last night, one I fully intend to keep: NO MORE FOSTERS. They stress him out too much and they changed his personality. I know him as the boy who was in bed with me last night - purring, making biscuits, etc. He never turned hissy until the fosters came. Hopefully once his foot heals, and I don't bring more cats home, he'll go back to the Pouncer I know.

Kirsten
11-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Kim, I'm glad to hear that Pouncer is beginning to feel better! I saw the little video this morning, and it broke my heart to hear him scream like that! :( He's definitely in a terrible pain!! :( I wonder if your vet did something wrong (because I think you didn't mention that he screamed that terribly BEFORE his treatment), and honestly I don't see anything wrong in pain meds at this point. My vet gives them to cats after a surgery/injury.

I'm very sorry to hear that Pouncer has struvite crystals, too. Luna has to deal with those a lot, and it can be such a pain! Never heard so far that Baytril is causing them, but it's an interesting point. Luna got them once when she had a stomach flu.

Lily is sending lots of purrs to Pouncer and hopes it helps his leg to heal. When she heard him crying this morning, she immediately jumped on the computer table to see what's wrong. It must have broken her little heart to see her boy suffering!

I hope he will be better soon! And I think it's a good decision about the fosters. They seem to stress him a lot!

Kirsten