PDA

View Full Version : How do you boil eggs?

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 06:19 PM
lol i am so dumb

RedHedd
10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
You don't really "boil" them. Set them in a pot of cold water, turn the burner on and let it sit until the water boils. THEN turn the heat down so the water is at a slow simmer .... and set a timer - 9 minutes for hard boiled; 3-4 for soft boiled, etc. When the timer goes off, take the pot off the stove, put into the sink and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process (also makes them easier to shell). And Voila! You've boiled eggs! :D

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 06:28 PM
yeah i done it tons before but i forget about how hot and stuff.

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 06:28 PM
You're not dumb! That's not just something that you know how to do when you're born. ;) I put the eggs into a pan of water, bring the water to a boil. Once it's boiling, I boil them for ten to fifteen minutes. :)

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
yeah i ton it tons before but i forget about how hot and stuff.

I just put it on high, and, leave it there. I just boiled two this morning. Yummy...I usually just put the eggs in the pot/pan, then fill it up to cover the eggs...

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
do you turn it down on low or meadium low or medium?????? after its boiled?

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 06:32 PM
do you turn it down on low or meadium low or medium?????? after its boiled?

I don't. I put them in the pan with water. Put the heat on high. Bring the water to a boil. Once it is boiling, I boil the eggs for ten to fifteen minutes. But, I never change the temperature, I always leave it on high.

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 06:32 PM
oh whoops ok that answered my question
being a vegetarion i need alot of protein and so i usally like boil 20 and then have one for a snack when i come home from school

prechrswife
10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I would probably say medium, although I don't always turn it down.

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 06:52 PM
YEAH!!! I did it!!!

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
YEAH!!! I did it!!!

Good job! :)

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
lol

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
lol

:D :p

buckner
10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
oh whoops ok that answered my question
being a vegetarion i need alot of protein and so i usally like boil 20 and then have one for a snack when i come home from school Coming from a vegetarian myself, might I also suggest peanut butter and nuts for protein? Specifically nuts because they're beneficial in SO many ways. Just a way to eat protein and not eat the same thing everyday. It can get old. :P

How long have you been a vegetarian?

I started out as a vegan. Then I read where you should only start out as a vegetarian and be there for 3 years to let your body get used to the changes. However, my doctor advised against this because of my immune systems and family health problems (heart disease, cancer, etc) and suggested that I at least ate seafood a couple of times a week. Seafood, fish in particular, has Omega 3 Fatty Acids which no other food has, I believe. You can take supplements, but nothing's better than coming right from the source! :)

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Coming from a vegetarian myself, might I also suggest peanut butter and nuts for protein? Specifically nuts because they're beneficial in SO many ways. Just a way to eat protein and not eat the same thing everyday.

And, soy beans, too! Oh, man, I love edamame, they make a great snack and are full of protein! :)

Flatcoatluver
10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Oh i have been a vegetarion for about 2 months not very long. I do have that kind of stuff but i don't like it very much. having eggs for a snack is yummy lol.

lisalee
10-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Ooooh..............I love hard boiled eggs! In fact I'm going to make some tomorrow. :D

K9karen
11-01-2005, 01:12 AM
For a change of pace, why don't you also make devilled egss since you already have so many hardboiled ones? There are a lot of great, easy Veggie cookbooks on the market or go to Cooks.com. I've been doing a lot of veggie lately.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-01-2005, 04:13 AM
One remark: never stop the boiling process: once the water starts boiling, keep it boiling!!

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 10:15 AM
One remark: never stop the boiling process: once the water starts boiling, keep it boiling!!

Yeah, that's how I do it! :)

Randi
11-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I do it a different way, I let the water boil and then put the egg in, (prick it with a needle first) when it starts boiling again, I set the timer to 8 min. - that's how I like my "hard" boiled egg - on ryebread with mayonaise, salt and pepper. :)

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I do it a different way, I let the water boil and then put the egg in, (prick it with a needle first) when it starts boiling again, I set the timer to 8 min. - that's how I like my "hard" boiled egg - on ryebread with mayonaise, salt and pepper. :)

I've done it that way, too...where I put the egg in after it's boiling. But, I think I've had to boil it for ten minutes after that, though...what does pricking the egg do?

sirrahved
11-01-2005, 11:20 AM
When I do my eggs, I put them in cold water, boil for five minutes, then let them cool on the stove.

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 11:21 AM
When I do my eggs, I put them in cold water, boil for five minutes, then let them cool on the stove.

They're hard boiled only after five minutes?! Wow! I must have a weak stove! :D I wish it only took five minutes!

Randi
11-01-2005, 11:22 AM
By prickling the egg, you're sure it won't crack in the water.

By the way, another yummy way to eat a hard boiled egg for a snack is to dip in mustard. :)

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 11:24 AM
By prickling the egg, you're sure it won't crack in the water.

By the way, another yummy way to eat a hard boiled egg for a snack is to dip in mustard. :)

I thought of that as soon as I posted the question. :rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of mustard, but, I might have to try that. I usually eat a couple of hard boiled eggs a day, so, maybe today's the day to try something new with one! :)

mruffruff
11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
I guess there are several ways to boil an egg.

I put them in cold water, cover and bring to a boil. As soon as they start to boil rapidly, I take them off the burner, leave the cover on and wait 10 to 15 minutes. Or until I remember them. :rolleyes:

Drain and crack them, then cover with cold water for several minutes so they peel easily.

sirrahved
11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
They're hard boiled only after five minutes?! Wow! I must have a weak stove! :D I wish it only took five minutes!
You let them sit in the hot water after you boil them, and they continue to cook. When the water is cool I take them out, rinse them in cold water, and peel them.

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
I never knew there was that many ways to boil a egg!!! LOL Umm manoynase (SP) sound good on it I will have to try it

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 03:22 PM
You let them sit in the hot water after you boil them, and they continue to cook. When the water is cool I take them out, rinse them in cold water, and peel them.

I'll have to try that next time! :)

carole
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
I have never been able to achieve the perfect boiled eggs myself, I like them with the yolk a little runny, I always end up with either very hard boiled or runny white, yuck, so some of us just never get it right, even though I have been boiling eggs for years. :D

christa
11-01-2005, 03:29 PM
My way:

Put eggs in a pot of cold water.
Put on burner.
Turn burner on Med or Hi . . . whatever will make water boil (stoves are always different)
When water is at a ROLLING BOIL, remove from heat and cover pot with lid.
Let the pot set for 17 minutes.
Immediately run COLD water over the eggs to stop them from cooking.
Peel & eat!

Perfect EVERY time!!!

Randi
11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
LOL! Have we all gone totally bonkers - here we are on PT, discussing how to boil an egg. :rolleyes: :D

Btw, I forgot to say: When your egg has boiled for 8 min. (my method) pour cold water over it and leave it for a minute, then you can peel it. ;)

RedHedd
11-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I read somewhere that it takes at least 9 minutes of boiling to kill the bad bacteria, which is why I let mine cook for at least 9 minutes .... and then, of course, I turn off the heat and promptly forget they're ready so they sit on the stove with the heat off until I remember I have eggs to eat! :rolleyes:

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
LOL! Have we all gone totally bonkers - here we are on PT, discussing how to boil an egg. :rolleyes: :D

Btw, I forgot to say: When your egg has boiled for 8 min. (my method) pour cold water over it and leave it for a minute, then you can peel it. ;)
Hey were in general!!! SO thats ok!!! ;)

tatsxxx11
11-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Learned long ago from Mom and the Food network confirmed it...NEVER keep the eggs boiling for hard boiled eggs!:eek: Place the eggs in salted water and bring to a boil. As soon as the water begins to boil, remove the pot from the heat, cover and let "cook" for 17 minutes. Run them under cold water and thoroughly chill before peeling:D Mine turn out perfectly every time! From Julia Childs' cookbook!

1. Lay the eggs in the pan and add the amount of cold water specified. Set
over high heat and bring just to the boil; remove from heat, cover the pan,
and let sit exactly 17 minutes.

2. When the time is up, transfer the eggs to the bowl of ice cubes and
water. Chill for 2 minutes while bringing the cooking water to the boil
again. (This 2 minute chilling shrinks the body of the egg from the shell.)

3. Transfer the eggs (6 at a time only) to the boiling water, bring to the
boil again, and let boil for 10 seconds - this expands the shell from the
egg. Remove eggs, and place back into the ice water.

Chilling the eggs promptly after each step prevents that dark line from
forming. Chilled eggs are easier to peel, as well.

The peeled eggs will keep perfectly in the refrigerator, submerged in water
in an uncovered container, for 2 to 3 days.

Flatcoatluver
11-01-2005, 06:36 PM
ok i hate waiting for that long but if i do it on a weekend then i guess that will be ok.

wolfie
11-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Wow, I don't know there were that many ways to boil an egg either!

And I'm a veggie too! Yay for veggies! ^_^