PDA

View Full Version : Free money? An ATM story!

RICHARD
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I pulled up to the drive-thru bank machine on Saturday.

There was a car in front of me and the driver had just finished doing his business.

He drove up and I noticed that the screen hadn't reset. This guy left his account open.

Just for giggles I looked to see if I could take some money out.....

YEP! This guy drove off and left an account with a balance of 77,000 dollars open!!

I closed the screen out and did my banking.

----------------------------

the thought did cross my mind, but I don't have the time to go to jail!!! :eek:

caseysmom
10-31-2005, 03:30 PM
He deserved to be robbed...that rich and that dumb!

kuhio98
10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
the thought did cross my mind, but I don't have the time to go to jail!!! :eek:
Good call. The Edster wouldn't enjoy visiting you in the State Pen.

.sarah
10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Good call on your part.

moosmom
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
RICHARD,

Boy, what a temptation. But you have to keep asking yourself if becoming "Bubba's" girlfriend in the pokie would be worth it.

lizbud
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't the guy's card have to be still in the ATM for it to still be
working?

I walked up to a "beeping" ATM before because someone forgot to take
their card when they finished.

gemini9961
10-31-2005, 04:47 PM
I came upon a beeping one as well because some ding dong left their card in it. I took theirs out and proceeded with my transaction and then took their card into the bank and gave it to them. I just couldn't take someone else's money like that even though I could use it.

Jessika
10-31-2005, 05:21 PM
He deserved to be robbed...that rich and that dumb!

NOBODY "deserves" to be robbed, rich or not! That's a terrible thing to say! Maybe he was in a hurry and was just forgetful? We ALL forget things sometimes!!

Anyway you'd better be careful even PLAYING around, even if you didn't actually withdraw any money because its illegal, period. If that had been me, I would have immediately gone inside the bank and talked with a teller to let her know. That way later on if something happens with his account (ie: he leaves it open again and someone ELSE steals) you won't get in trouble for it.

Off topic but I thought most ATMs only "close" the screen after you take back your ATM card?? Because most machines take it inside of it and only give it back once you exit out..

caseysmom
10-31-2005, 05:23 PM
It was a joke.

RICHARD
10-31-2005, 05:31 PM
The CITIBANK ATMs just require you to swipe your card....it does not keep them like the BofA or other banks...

You do have to 'cancel' the transaction....

Moosmom,

Is THAT why they call it the 'POKIE'? :eek: :o :confused: :(

caseysmom
10-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Richard...Don't worry...bubba already has a girlfriend...its casey ;)

Jessika
10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
The CITIBANK ATMs just require you to swipe your card....it does not keep them like the BofA or other banks...

You do have to 'cancel' the transaction....

Moosmom,

Is THAT why they call it the 'POKIE'? :eek: :o :confused: :(

That seems very insecure for obvious reasons.. maybe you should bring this up with your bank???

moosmom
10-31-2005, 06:43 PM
RICHARD,

That's what we folks here in NEW ENGLAND call it!! ;)

dukedogsmom
10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Wow! That is one lucky guy. He's lucky you were behind him and not someone else. They would have to be pretty stupid to take the money since the bank would have know exactly who took it.

Cataholic
11-01-2005, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Jessika]NOBODY "deserves" to be robbed, rich or not! That's a terrible thing to say! Maybe he was in a hurry and was just forgetful? We ALL forget things sometimes!!

Anyway you'd better be careful even PLAYING around, even if you didn't actually withdraw any money because its illegal, period. If that had been me, I would have immediately gone inside the bank and talked with a teller to let her know. That way later on if something happens with his account (ie: he leaves it open again and someone ELSE steals) you won't get in trouble for it.

QUOTE]

Yowsers. I do believe it was a tongue in cheek expression...and that she didn't really mean he deserved to be robbed. :eek:

Second, maybe the laws are different in your state, but, in most states, there must be a necessary criminal intent (guilty mind) to constitute a 'crime' (you said illegal). Richard's acts wouldn't rise to that level, even though he was playing around.

Third, I wouldn't step inside any bank, unless it was absolutely necessary these days, and certainly someone else's forgetfulness doesn't make it necessary.

finn's mom
11-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Wow, that's crazy. I'm just more mesmerized by the thought of having $77,000 in my bank account. ;) ha ha, good call on your part, Richard!

RICHARD
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi, Ms/Mr Teller-inside-the-building,

I pulled up behind someone that left their account open and I needed to get to MY MONEY so I touched some buttons on the screen.

I didn't take anything out of his bank account but here's my name and address, just in case his account gets messed up and you need someone to blame for his stupidity.

Peeve?

People who rely on modern technology to take care of them.
:rolleyes:

Jessika
11-01-2005, 11:38 AM
You misunderstood, I know you didn't have any criminal intent I'm just saying if that were me I would have done that, not that you should or should have. You live in the US too correct? And you can know how... corrupted our legal system can be sometimes. You're right its his mistake and eventually he's not going to have someone so nice or honest behind him as you were. I guess its just a courtesy thing on my behalf to let the bank know, as well as covering my own butt, you know?? Maybe its different in CA though :o

I wasn't saying that's what you SHOULD have done I'm just saying, its what I would have done. Not saying what you did was wrong!!

ramanth
11-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I've actually walked up to several ATM's where the previous user forgot to 'log out', so to speak. I always hit no or cancel. I've never been brazen enough to scroll around an account.

This usually happened at Dragon*Con in Atlanta. The ATM's in the food court and hotels are the kind that Richard describe. You only have to slide the card at the beginning of the transaction, it doesn't keep the card until the end.

JenBKR
11-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Good job Richard. I know how tempting that can be, but it's not worth it. We have a few of these kinds of ATMs around here too, but I've never gone up to one that had not been cleared.

RICHARD
11-01-2005, 01:24 PM
For the record!

What I did was wrong.

What I could have done was worse.

The style of ATM and the program allows you to push one button for cash, and then gives you the balance of the account. :eek:

It's was all there! ;)

caseysmom
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
You did fine Richard....I hope your behind me at the atm if I ever mess up.

RICHARD
11-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I just remembered this from last week..

On Thursday, I went to the newspaper vending machine...
I put in the 50 cents to get my paper and the door would not open...
I gave the handle a few jerks to get my money back and an extra 1.50
came out.

I did have a moment where I thought about the three people before me that lost their money........

I did pocket the money......

Does that offset the bank thing???? :eek:

Van10
11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
You did fine Richard....I hope your behind me at the atm if I ever mess up. Me too! :D

RICHARD
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I flipped down the visor of the car and found some money I forgot I had stashed up there....

Should I play the Lotto this week? :eek: ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool:

gemini9961
11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
You did fine Richard....I hope your behind me at the atm if I ever mess up.

I don't want him behind me, don't want anyone else to know exactly how poor I am and that I have no money in the bank. ;) :o

king2005
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Silly man, some people are in too much of a hurry.

Richard, if you ever try to take out a 20.00 & a 50.00 comes out, you can empty tour entire account & NOT get in trouble for it (or atleast not in Canada). Its an AWESOME rule :) Once in downtown Ottawa, one drum had all 50.00s in it insted of 20.00s & someone took all 50,000.00s of the 50.00s. HAHAHAHA

Ya I'm bad, I would have done the same thing, only because i know for fact that NO ONE will get in trouble for it, because they have no proof who put the drum in the wrong spot, because 90% of ATM's DO NOT have real cameras in Ontario !! :) Well & the law/rules don't cover it (aslong as the company rushs to the ATM to fix the problem, then they are covered)